Learning from Big Fin (Randy) is expensive.....LOL

Madman

Since I've discovered Randy's shows and information, I can say I have learned some good points but have seemed to bought some spendy gear! I truly discovered this as I have been guiding a friend of mine into big game hunting out here in Colorado (his family never hunted). One of the many things I've mentored him in is new gear, and we started talking about what to buy, and started tallying the cost.....well it doesn't come as a real shocker, but that is probably because I turn a bit of a blind eye...or my entire head.....

In this new age of "Blame someone else"...… can I blame it on Randy? LOL

Truth is I thank Randy extensively for taking some of my gear and improving on it with equipment which allows me to go farther and withstand more. I've asked him straight forward questions at times and he has always responded and given me his honest opinion, which means a lot to me.

So truthfully, this is a BIG Shout Out to Big Fin! And a hearty thank you....hopefully a little humor is found in this by all.

But as I told my buddy Zak today on the phone, at times your life may come down to the quality of the gear you use, how much is it worth to you.

Expensive gear is just an investment in your comfort level and ability to stay out in the elements longer, thus increasing your chances at success. Most people hunted in army surplus or hand me downs and do fine. Unless you have really deep pockets its not feasible to buy all the gear at once. Ive been piecing it all together for 8 years and going into this season I feel I am only short a swaro spotting scope haha, other than that I am dialed for my level. Thats what I tell my friends who are just getting into the lifestyle, it takes time.

It is easy to get caught up in the "need this and need that" especially when it's not hunting season. Some things are good investments and some things are luxury items for lack of better expression. There are plenty of things I wish I would have spent the extra money on in the beginning because I would've saved in the long term. I check camofire daily, and while I rarely buy anything I always have an inner debate if I really need that new jacket or pants.

Work has been slow so I've spent a lot of time on YouTube lately especially with Randy's videos. One thing I find interesting with the older videos vs the newer videos are the differences in gear, clothing, and camp set ups. He nor any experienced hunter started out with top of the line stuff. And at the time of first producing videos I would say he was far from just starting out. It all builds on what works and doesn't work for your system. Leaning what would be good to have now and what you can work with.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back