Anxiously awaiting Wyoming Non-Res elk drawing results...

rveen

Will I get Regular GEN license with 2 preference points? I would have had around 50% chance last year. How many additional people applied this year making it harder to draw???? The suspense is killing me... Does anyone know what time the results are available tomorrow (Feb 21)?

Good luck to other WY non-res applicants (as long as you left a tag for me)! ;)

Is it a good sign, I have zero PP's!!! Oh wait, I drew last year :) Good luck to all those that have a better chance of drawing then me, wait is almost over....

I've got 30 points in WA and 0 in WY and my odds are still better drawing a tag in WY...at 4%

I've got 30 points in WA and 0 in WY and my odds are still better drawing a tag in WY...at 4%

I drew bull tags in Washington twice. There are some great hunts there. I would love to draw a hunt in any state that would be a better hunt. The downside like you say is horrible odds.

I have a handful of points in Wyoming and swung for the fence. Don't really care if I draw an elk tag and if I do I hope it is an unforgettable hunt. Also applied partners with the wife for some late season cow tags.

I really like the current wyoming draw results being posted in feb

Psychology tells me that high point holders that want to hunt in WY elk in 2020 might want to consider throwing in.

+10000

But I believe this is the last time ever.

You are correct and for nothing but valid reasons and to ensure proper game management. Also will allow NR's to apply for all the hunts and not get shorted opportunity or tags. Win-win-win with no downside.

You are correct and for nothing but valid reasons and to ensure proper game management. Also will allow NR's to apply for all the hunts and not get shorted opportunity or tags. Win-win-win with no downside.

Definitely not a win for all sides. Can be no argument about that.

However, I didn't realize that Wyoming game have been improperly managed to this point. That is news to me. I'll defer to your expertise to explain how elk seem to be doing so well in WY with improper management.

How's that?

Out of curiosity.

Because of the early NR elk drawing, there were hunts that NR's were NOT being allowed to even enter the draw for. This was giving Residents the entire quota as any new seasons are not approved until the April commission meeting.

Also, any quotas that were increased after the NR draw, was shorting NR's their allocation of 16% of the tags.

It was also a conflict with the commission as tags were being issued BEFORE the seasons and quotas were approved.

Definitely not a win for all sides. Can be no argument about that.

However, I didn't realize that Wyoming game have been improperly managed to this point. That is news to me. I'll defer to your expertise to explain how elk seem to be doing so well in WY with improper management.

Wrong, its a win for all sides...see above post.

And I never said that Wyoming was not managing elk correctly, this move ensures it will continue. It also ensures that the license splits are equitable for both R and NR hunters.

No downside, other than your convenience, which is of zero concern to proper management.

It’s gonna be an interesting draw and results.

As to the draw date being moved it’s definitely a win win for everyone. WY gets time to get actual counts and either increase or decrease tag numbers based on biology instead of pre determined tag numbers from the year before. Also I find it a plus that many other states draws will be over before I have to decide on WY elk also.

+1000 Buzz. As always thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Good to know, thanks for sharing Buzz.

It does put a big wrinkle in application strategy.. It was bad enough applying for 4+ states with a chance to draw after you already know what happened in WY.

Good to know, thanks for sharing Buzz.

It does put a big wrinkle in application strategy.. It was bad enough applying for 4+ states with a chance to draw after you already know what happened in WY.

I agree, it definitely does that, but the compromise of NR's getting access to all the hunts and getting their correct quotas out-weighed the wrinkle. Solved an over-issue, under-issue that has been going on for decades. Also allowed for the GF to make adjustments on some unintended over-sights with the early elk draw (people archery hunting mature bull elk in the red desert with spike only tags for 2 years, as an example).

Good luck in the draw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back