Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MT BMA question

Jlrineer

I am planning a rifle elk hunt this fall to MT in the southwest, I have it narrowed down to a few HD 321,329,331 or 332. I was on the MT FWP website looking into BMA around those hunt districts and didn't realize how many BMAs there are some of them look really awesome for not just hunting on the BMA but also unlocking more public land to hunt. I noticed some type 2 BMAs that offer veteran preference on veteran's day and it just works out that we were planning on hunting over that time. Myself and another guy out of our group of 5 are veterans and I am thinking about maybe taking a day and hunting one of the BMAs if we can get in. Many of them have a number to call to reserve a date for your hunt. Just wondering when people would typically call, I don't want to call now before we even know if we drew a combo tag and I don't want to let it go too late and miss out on an opportunity to hunt in a good place. Also just wondering what people's experiences are from hunting on BMAs or any recommendation in general as far as they go. Thanks!

Usually the current years BMA information packet comes out in August then you can read each specific BMAs rules. Usually then you can see when they start to take reservations.
Aug 15 is a common date.

If your trying to get on a coveted BMA area call as soon as reservations are open. If it says it opens at 7 AM Aug 15, have the number typed in are ready to call by 7 am.

If your trying to get on a coveted BMA area call as soon as reservations are open. If it says it opens at 7 AM Aug 15, have the number typed in are ready to call by 7 am.
I would also tell you that if you call by 7am, some might already be gone. I've called and had the LO tell me someone called at 5am and he gave them first choice.

Assuming you draw. I would call asap after getting the results....all the bmas in montana are different. Some you have to reserve a date or dates. Some you need written permission. And some you just sign in and go hunt. Others have limited number of hunters per day. On a first come first serve basis. Be respectful of the rules and regulations set by the land owner to insure access in the future. Some bma land owners have had serious issues with hunters. One guy can ruin a good thing for everyone. And it never hurts to bring a gift of some sort....bottle of wine, case of beer.

Also, some BMA parcels are coordinated together through a phone reservation operator. If you successfully reserve a particular BMA for a particular day that may mean you can't reserve another BMA in that coordinated group for that same day. Some BMA's are small so you might determine in just a couple of hours to move on to another BMA. Some BMAs are sign up at the gate or no sign-in required so you merely park in a particular zone. You can hunt several of that type of BMA on same day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back