Which bow should I purchase?

JosiahJoiner

Considering buying a new bow as I’m moving to Alaska in a few months. Really leaning towards Bowtech because they offer a 15% military discount. Looking at one of the realms, Carbon pro dlx, or wondering if the new reckoning would be worth it. I used to archery hunt for elk before I enlisted but haven’t shot a bow for 6+ years. Specifically looking at hunting caribou this coming August and so I need to get shooting soon and I figure it will be cheaper to purchase in the lower 48. I am looking for opinions on these models, or if you have something else you would strongly recommend and why. I am a lefty so getting to try out a bunch of bows to figure out what I want isn’t so much an option with the dealers I have near me. Another question I have is if the bows at Cabela’s that are in the $500-$600 price range fully set up are significantly different in quality. (I have a lot of other needs for this hunting season and prefer to stay married) I want something that will last, I don’t need the latest and greatest every year. Thanks in advance.

For me getting a bow all comes down to feel. I always recommend going to a local shop and shooting everything and anything even if you have to travel a bit. If the $300 bow feels the best then buy it. To me nothing beats the confidence you gain from shooting a bow you feel good and comfortable shooting. Lots can go wrong trying to stick an elusive animal with a stick. So any advantage I can get mentally, physically, or technically I'm taking it. As for something that will last they all seem pretty well built nowadays. That being said I hunted with the same Hoyt for 17 years and just recently upgraded. Nothing wrong with it just finally caved in.

Goodluck

Agree with everything Hilljackoutlaw said. Go shoot a few and decide which one feels best to you.

I just picked up a hoyt powermax as it fit the best bang for the buck imo. I loved the way it felt and it offered really nice features on the low end of the price spectrum.

Edit: but check out the bowtechs if that's what you're interested in. You may like the way those feel more than the competition.

Wow, loaded question.

I have 3 bows, all of which are different brands. Bows these days are like computers. The technology and accessories change so fast it's really about what feels good and shoots well in your hand. I personally have nothing against Mathews bows. I just don't feel comfortable shooting the ones I have had in my hands. Never really could get a good feel for a Mathews, same with some of the Bowtech bows. Picking a bow is much like trying on a shirt. Find what fits, shoots and feels the best in your hands. Yep, it's not that easy to choose a bow although you would think you could just walk into a store and say give me that one because it's the coolest looking or the latest bad boy I read about in bowhunter magazine. Find a shop that will spend the time setting up several bows in your draw length and spend the time required. You won't be disappointed in the end. These days there are a ton of choices in every price range. Don't narrow your choices based on a name or a price.

Being Left handed should not matter much if you can find a good shop. As above "Even if you have to travel". Most good shops given a phone call can have several bows setup up for your drawl length given a day or two notice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Telling someone which bow to buy is akin to telling them what boots to buy. Go try them on.

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I might have to do a little traveling for the opportunity to shoot some bows. Unfortunately, the two archery shops that I have in the El Paso area (not counting Cabela’s) had a total of 3 LH bows on the shelves and if I remember correctly two of them were Hoyt Powerax. One of the shops said they would order a bow for me but they are pretty small and I doubt they would want to order 3-4 bows for me to try out then pick from (maybe I am wrong). Guess I was looking for any exceptionally positive experiences or negative experiences with a certain bow that anyone wanted to share. Like ntodwild said the technology is always changing and I don’t really know what I should be looking for. I’m not dead set on bowtech and have nothing against any of the other brands, I just like that they give the military discount. I’ve had a alpine youth model bow for 10 plus years, but I would be almost afraid to pull it back since I haven’t shot it in so long and I need something that fits me better.

I picked up a hoyt Nitrux this weekend that I had NO intent to purchase, because I made the mistake of test driving it. The last bow I bought was 10yrs ago, a Hoyt superhawk.

I hear a lot of good things about bowtech, and bear makes some great bows for your price range(what I intended on buying). Did cabelas have anything left handed? I'm not familiar with the So Paso area, I know there are a lot of shops towards Waco.

In regards to Bowtech, I have one and really like it. However, it has certain traits and nuances that make it very different from others I tried out.

I bought my first bow 10 years ago without ever having a shot a modern compound bow. It was $330 off of eBay. I paid another $150 to have the local archery shop put the cheapest rest and sight on it. That bow has killed 5 elk and a bighorn sheep and every shot I missed had nothing to do with the equipment. My point is, if you aren't picky you can save a lot of money and still get a great bow that will last a decade or more. Mine is a Bear Instinct, but I think any bow from a reputable brand will serve just as well.

BTW, I shot a left-hand bow (I am right-handed) at the local shop a few weeks ago. The retailer just wanted to prove to me that you can shoot either regardless of your hand dominance. Loading the arrow is slightly awkward, but after that, you cannot tell the difference.

If you are in the El Paso area take a drive to Las Cruces and check out High Desert Archery. The guys there know what they are talking about. Also check out Rockin R Archery in Deming NM. I have shot all the bows you mentioned and I really like the Reckoning and the Realm I currently hunt with a Reign 6. I recently shot the Triax and wasn't impressed, but it all comes down to feel and how well it fits you. Good luck with your search.

Had a Bowtech Insanity CPXL since 2013 and this year bumped up to a RealmX. Its a great bow but honestly I miss the CPXL sometimes. I dont think the RealmX and I will have a long history together.

JosiahJoiner- Are you currently in the military? I was stationed at Fort Wainwright from 99-02. If you are interested in doing some moose hunting while you are up there message me. I will let you know where I shot a legal bull (52”) and should have gotten a bull the following year, then September 11th happened and I ended my hunt early. I wouldn’t do this for anybody but I’m not sure if I’ll ever hunt Alaska again and you’re a Veteran. Of course there’s plenty of hunttalk folks that live in AK that might be of better help.

As far as bows, I agree with the advice that you’ve gotten. Shoot several and buy the one that fits. You might like a $400 bow better than an $800 bow.

If you are in the El Paso area take a drive to Las Cruces and check out High Desert Archery. The guys there know what they are talking about.

Cullboss-I was there once, but I had my 2 year old with me so I wasn’t able to spend much time seriously looking. I was impressed with their customer service and they are actually the ones that told me about the bowtech discount. They were my first planned stop in my hunt :)

I bought my first bow 10 years ago without ever having a shot a modern compound bow. It was $330 off of eBay.

This is so true in many ways and a very good point. I probably wouldn't recommend doing this for someone who does not have much experience (not to say Josiah doesn't have experience). I also currently shoot (one of my 3 bows) a bow I purchased used on eBay. I did shoot the bow a few years prior at a shop so I had a very good impression and at least a bit of experience with shooting and the feel of the bow in my hand (Hoyt Rampage XT). I saved a big chunk of money over purchasing new and of the 3 bows I have this one is my favorite, has taken several big game animals and I love shooting it even above and beyond a much newer bow that I own.

Purchasing used can be a big money saver IF you know what you're looking for.

There are so many high quality, good brand name bows out there. It all comes down to personal preference. Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, Prime or Obsession, just to name a few, all make fantastic bows. My advice is to shoot as many different ones as you can, you'll know which one is right. Good luck.

I have generally used a bow about 10 to 12 years before I would get a new one. I just like a comfortable feeling bow. About 4 years ago my old bow blew up while shooting it. Everyone pitched in and gave me a new Diamond for fathers day. I don't remember the actual model, but it was not the inexpensive kit. After shooting it for over a year it developed a problem with the cams. I took it to the local archery pro shop and we sent it to Bowtech. They replaced it with an upgrade and next years model with no questions asked. It retailed for more than the original bow. Awesome bow! Can’t go wrong with the Bowtech company and it feels comfortable when shooting.

Bowtechs are good bows. Check out your local craigslist. Bowjunkies spend money upgrading their bows every year. You can find a last years, latest and greatest package, for a better deal than buying a lower priced model a ta box store. You'll have a little harder time being a lefty. But on the other hand, my local Scheels had crazy deals on last years model Mathews because they were "lefty" models.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back