Special archery?

WildWill

The type 6 tag I put in for this year has a Aug 15th-Jan 31st season with a special archery season that opens Sept 15th. Am I correct in my understanding that I can hunt with a bow the entire time? If I choose to bowhunt do I need the archery stamp for the entire time or just the special Sept 15th season? Last question can I rifle hunt during the special archery season with my type 6 tag. This units tpe 1 and 4 tags open Oct 1st so I understand the Sept 15th archery season giving archers a early shot. But why have a special archery season that opens a month after the original season especially if you can already hunt with a bow am I missing something?

As an example, you can hunt area 11 with a bow starting sept 15. and will need the archery license. The unit is open to rifle hunting from aug 15 to Jan 31. You will be in the woods with rifle hunters the entire archery season. If you buy the archery license you may not use any firearm to take big game during that archery season. Page 4-5 of the regs.
I would get clarification from that areas warden.

Last edited:
As an example, you can hunt area 11 with a bow starting sept 15. and will need the archery license. The unit is open to rifle hunting from aug 15 to Jan 31. You will be in the woods with rifle hunters the entire archery season. If you buy the archery license you may not use any firearm to take big game during that archery season. Page 4-5 of the regs.
I would get clarification from that areas warden.

That's funny you nailed the unit I put in for. I will contact the area game warden once I have the tag for final clarification probably counting my chicken's early. I plan on elk hunting sometime between Aug 15th-Sept 14th to avoid any extra crowding from the type 1-4 tag holders hunting during special archery also plan on having a antelope hunt that will open on Sept 15th. From my understanding reading the rules I can bow hunt before the 15th of September with a type 6 tag without a archery stamp. I will have a rifle with me but would like to hunt with my bow for at least the first week.

Last edited:
If this is WY I also applied for unit 11. I think I went type 9 though...

I may be confusing myself though.

Got it figured out. Yes I can hunt with a bow the whole time. I only need the archery stamp from Sept 15th-30th in order to bow hunt during that time. No I cant rifle hunt if I buy the archery stamp but I can if I don't buy it? Sounds wrong to me. The lady did sound unsure when I asked to clarify that I couldn't use a gun during the special archery season if I had a archery stamp even if on private and not on NF. Finally the reason for the type 6 tag having a special archery season is it allows the tag holder to hunt the NF usually off limits to this particular tag.

I have private access lined up but would like to use the NF as a back up.

Last edited:
"No I cant rifle hunt if I buy the archery stamp but I can if I don't buy it? Sounds wrong to me. The lady did sound unsure when I asked to clarify that I couldn't use a gun during the special archery season if I had a archery stamp even if on private and not on NF."

page 4-5 of the full reg booklet, which is why I said to call and verify. Seems odd to me too. Call the Laramie office and talk to a warden...

==Archery Licenses and Special Archery Seasons.
No person shall hunt big game or trophy game animals with
archery equipment during a special archery hunting season
without first obtaining an archery license and the appropriate
hunting license.

No person holding an archery license shall
take big game or trophy game animals during a special archery
hunting season or limited quota archery season by the use
of any type of firearm.

Upon request by a game warden or
other Wyoming law enforcement officer, a person who has
taken a big or trophy game animal during a special archery
hunting season or limited quota archery only hunting season
shall allow testing of the animal’s tissue for confirmation of
compliance with this section."

"No I cant rifle hunt if I buy the archery stamp but I can if I don't buy it? Sounds wrong to me. The lady did sound unsure when I asked to clarify that I couldn't use a gun during the special archery season if I had a archery stamp even if on private and not on NF."

page 4-5 of the full reg booklet, which is why I said to call and verify. Seems odd to me too. Call the Laramie office and talk to a warden...

==Archery Licenses and Special Archery Seasons.
No person shall hunt big game or trophy game animals with
archery equipment during a special archery hunting season
without first obtaining an archery license and the appropriate
hunting license.

No person holding an archery license shall
take big game or trophy game animals during a special archery
hunting season or limited quota archery season by the use
of any type of firearm.

Upon request by a game warden or
other Wyoming law enforcement officer, a person who has
taken a big or trophy game animal during a special archery
hunting season or limited quota archery only hunting season
shall allow testing of the animal’s tissue for confirmation of
compliance with this section."

Definitely sounds like the lady I talked to had it right. But that leads me to more questions what about hunting different animals in different units or the same unit during special archery. I will be emailing the game warden this morning to get it all cleared up.

Thanks for all the help guys I'll post what I find out after I hear from the game warden.

Unless the reg has changed for this year, 11-6 is valid OFF national forest land from Aug 15-Jan 31. During that time, you can hunt on blm, state, etc with bow or rifle, no archery stamp needed.

It would be valid to bow hunt (with an archery stamp) ON national forest land Sept 15-30 only.

I would defer to whatever you learn from the warden, but this is my interpretation

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH7.pdf

Unless the reg has changed for this year, 11-6 is valid OFF national forest land from Aug 15-Jan 31. During that time, you can hunt on blm, state, etc with bow or rifle, no archery stamp needed.

It would be valid to bow hunt (with an archery stamp) ON national forest land Sept 15-30 only.

I would defer to whatever you learn from the warden, but this is my interpretation

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH7.pdf

That's my understanding as well. I just didn't know that by purchasing the archery stamp in order to bow hunt the NF I would be excluding myself from rifle hunting on any private, BLM, or state ground.

I just didn't know that by purchasing the archery stamp I would be excluding myself from rifle hunting on any private, BLM, or state ground.

I don't think you are. I'm certain you could still rifle hunt following the rifle regs off the national forest whether you had an archery stamp or not. Curious to hear what the warden says.

Waiting on a email back from the game warden. It's a little less urgent sense I didn't draw the tag.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back