Eastern Montana antelope

Cordova

Thinking of applying for east Mt antelope and hunting with my wife. Is there ample public access to have a successful hunt?

Ample yes. They tend to move to private later in the season.

Growing up in south central Montana and relocating to eastern Montana three years ago, I would say this question is relative. Around 75% of region 7 ( eastern MT) is privately owned. A fair amount of that 25% public is landlocked by private, some accessible through BM, some not. If your talking Fort Peck than yes, there is ample public land, if your referring to eastern MT as a whole, in my opinion there is somewhat limited hunting opportunities. If your archery hunting make sure your practiced up for longer shots. The antelope are skittish and know where the private boundaries are.

Is there any Block Management private land enrolled for pronghorn hunting for the GMU you are looking at applying? I had great luck hunting north of Helena towards the west side using Block Management in a heavily private land unit.

What part of eastern Montana are you looking to hunt?

Was thinking 700 HDs but very flexible. Looking for high draw odds for me /wife and access mostly. Not necessarily trophy potential. Just memory making opportunities.
Thanks

This is a joke, right...?

Cordova, look at map. You'll quickly figure out how much hunting opportunity exists in Region 7. Go have some fun.

No, it’s not a joke. I live here, I hunt here. Like I said in my post, it’s relative. Pick up a map. Compared to centeral and western Montana, the opportunities are limited.

No, it’s not a joke. I live here, I hunt here. Like I said in my post, it’s relative. Pick up a map. Compared to centeral and western Montana, the opportunities are limited.

The question wasn't "does eastern Montana have as much access as central or western Montana" it was " is there ample public access to have a successful hunt". And the answer is yes. Anyone who has the ability to "pick up a map" should know that.

Lots of land to hunt in eastern Montana for antelope. Block management,blm, and state land to hunt. Just have to cover some ground

Lots of land to hunt in eastern Montana for antelope. Block management,blm, and state land to hunt. Just have to cover some ground

I appreciate everyone's perspective on "access". I was born and raised in south west Montana and as a kid, hunting access was quite good. After not hunting for a number of years, I'm amazed at how there are no "loose ends". Everything is marked and accounted for. Fences, orange posts and signs blocking major blocks of public ground. There should be more easements to gain recreation. Case in point: the Madison Valley.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back