Rifle Accuracy Question

danm, a new word and I have no clue. Back to google. I would call you as asshole, but you are such a nice guy.

I did look up the word. I will never use it. How in the hell. did anyone consider using it. Man, you have a unique mind!

Well Big Fin helped me solve the username confusion. I am now Art Vandeley of Vandeley industries.

Mt Muley.

We will get use to the name. I am the idiot . No need to change, I am now aware.

Hope you solve your accuracy problem and I have no clue.

Welcome on board.

I would try some different bullets, I bought some 150 eldx precision hunters for my 7mm-08 just to zero in the scope and I was getting 1.5" groups. I worked up some handloads and was able to cut it down to .75" with 140 accubonds on my first round without playing with seating depth. Now to see if I can tighten up the groups with seating depth. I use a lead sled for load development but after I have found a good load, I ditch it. Practice like how you are going to shoot in the field.

I am glad I wasn't the only one confused with your username.

I would assume that the twist on your barrel is a 1-8"... so I wouldn't think you would have any issues with stability... but others on here would know more about that than I would.

Make sure that you check the scope mounts and do what others said above. Let us know how it goes!

So my plan to correct this is...

1. Check scope mounts and make sure nothing is loose.
2. Clean it?
3. Let someone else choot it.

Re-evaluate after I have done these 3.

So my plan to correct this is...

1. Check scope mounts and make sure nothing is loose.
2. Clean it?
3. Let someone else choot it.

Re-evaluate after I have done these 3.

FWIW, I would start with #3, then #1, then make sure next time you test it shoot without dialing.

I’d have someone else shoot it, if it still does it, change ammo/shoot it and then the scope/shoot it (assuming it’s easier to change ammo than scope, if no big deal, change the scope first). Don’t dial at all. Otherwise you are introducing another variable at the same time.

Scheels here in Great Falls mounted the scope.

I will let someone else shoot it without dialing first and go from there. I appreciate the help

I would assume that the twist on your barrel is a 1-8"... so I wouldn't think you would have any issues with stability... but others on here would know more about that than I would.

Make sure that you check the scope mounts and do what others said above. Let us know how it goes!

Instability could result from more than just slow twist.

A badly dinged muzzle crown would do it, and it is easy for anyone to check for with a bit of good light and magnification.

There could be other issues too, like a catywhumpus chamber, which I have seen before. Or a barrel that has a reverse taper/choke to it. Or a poorly mated barrel and action which cost me a bunch of money and over a year of poor match scores. These are harder to detect.

I've got more faith in the original shooter's ability to break a shot.

About 1.5” to 20” I’d guess it’s not a shooter problem. That seems pretty excessive. I would mount a proven scope and test a few different brands/ bullet weights. Cleaning the barrel wouldn’t be a bad idea either before you start testing the new ammo.
Did you contact the manufacturer? Bergara might be of some help also.

About 1.5” to 20” I’d guess it’s not a shooter problem. That seems pretty excessive. I would mount a proven scope and test a few different brands/ bullet weights. Cleaning the barrel wouldn’t be a bad idea either before you start testing the new ammo.
Did you contact the manufacturer? Bergara might be of some help also.

I haven't contacted anyone yet. In my case, I would bet $$$ its operator error rather than a manufacturing anomaly.

I haven't contacted anyone yet. In my case, I would bet $$$ its operator error rather than a manufacturing anomaly.

You gotta have more faith in yourself! I find it hard to believe that you shoot that poorly.

Why did you shoot so much worse at 260?

You gotta have more faith in yourself! I find it hard to believe that you shoot that poorly.

Why did you shoot so much worse at 260?

Well mostly the frigid cold conditions. I had the rifle on my bags which were resting on my tailgate so I was kneeling in the snow. Probably not the ideal setup.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back