Spotting scope dilemma: 2016 Vortex Razor Model Vs 2018-Newer Vortex Viper

modernhunter

Hey everyone, looking to buy my first spotting scope. I had been doing reading online and thought I was set to get the Vortex Viper spotting scope. Looked like relatively good glass for the money. I ended up stumbling on a site that is selling new Vortex Razor 2016 Models for the exact same price as the Viper. My question is, would it be better to get the Razor since it's supposed to be better glass? And would the Viper have any big enough improvements to justify it over the older Razor?

I know everyone will say to Buy once Cry once, but this price point will pretty much be my limit for the time being and I am needing it before Spring.

Thanks in advance.

The older model Razor HD spotting scopes are much better glass than the new Viper HD spotting scopes. If those are your two choices I would jump on the Razor.

I have the older model Razor and it is amazing. Definitely would recommend going that way over the viper.

I have the older model Razor and it is amazing. Definitely would recommend going that way over the viper.

Thanks for the input! I saw example digiscoping with the older Razor and it looks incredible! I will be ordering this week!

My question would be confirming new original Vortex and not some grey-market knock-off over internet. But if legit, go Razor - nice scopes.

The Viper I looked through was not impressive.... Better buys for the $$$

Guys, there is no link posting to stores other than those sponsoring on this forum. If you want to shop amazon please do so by clicking through this forum to help this site keep funded.

Anyone looking to buy a vortex spotter should take a hard look at athlon ares spotters. Same warranty, cheaper, smaller, lighter, with glass equal to or better than a razor. I have compared my ares 65mm next to a razor 65mm we all preferred the ares.

Do you have Facebook? I joined the "optics buy sell trade" page and there are some Vortex dealers on there. I have messaged 2 of the guys that I have seen advertise on there regularly on what their prices are, and have been pretty impressed on the prices they have quoted me. Just another option for you. I plan to order the razor 22-48x65 this week from one of those dealers.

Anyone looking to buy a vortex spotter should take a hard look at athlon ares spotters. Same warranty, cheaper, smaller, lighter, with glass equal to or better than a razor. I have compared my ares 65mm next to a razor 65mm we all preferred the ares.
Where can you buy Athlon?

In ordered a New Vortex Viper HD 65mm. It should be here tomorrow or Thursday. For the price I paid I feel it was the best option.

I spent over a month going back and forth looking at spotting scopes and I also chose the Athlon Ares 65 over the Razor. It's really good glass and eye relief in a lighter/smaller package and at a lower cost. I love mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back