Rem 700

Here's the 25-06, October 2018, Wyoming:
udxbhYdl.jpg

And ten years earlier, 2008, Washington:
KaCBvzql.jpg

The 30-06 has lighter colored wood. Has an older 2-7x Redfield here in the Brooks Range:
OVkVXLnl.jpg

R5KhMT2l.jpg

After the Alaska hunt I swapped another 6x Leupold onto the 30-06, 'cause I'm kinda hung up on fixed, 6x scopes for most of my hunting. Just a personal preference.

Both rifles have done really well for me. The 25-06 has been limited to mule deer, pronghorn & coyotes.

The 30-06 has taken a wider variety: black bear, elk, mule deer, pronghorn, wolf and grizzly.

Both are accurate & reliable.

Regards, Guy

They have wood stocks and leather slings! How could you have killed anything with either of those rifles?

Great looking pair of rifles!!

ClearCreek

Classy twins Guy, thank you for posting pics. Have you smith'd em any?

Yes. Both have been pillar bedded, free floated, and the triggers set at 3# each.
lPM7rhb.jpg

Took them both to a great local gunsmith who did a great job. The rifles shot fine without the work, I like to think that they shoot a skosh better now. Not sure I can prove that though! :)

Regards, Guy

They have wood stocks and leather slings! How could you have killed anything with either of those rifles?

Great looking pair of rifles!!

ClearCreek

Ha! I know. Handicapped myself without stainless steel, synthetic stock, big scopes, fancy cartridges... Ah well...

In fairness, I do have a couple of more "modern" rifles with all that stuff, but... I like hunting with these two.

Regards, Guy

Yes. Both have been pillar bedded, free floated, and the triggers set at 3# each.
lPM7rhb.jpg

Took them both to a great local gunsmith who did a great job. The rifles shot fine without the work, I like to think that they shoot a skosh better now. Not sure I can prove that though! :)

Regards, Guy

This is what a firearms thread looks like, thanks again.

A Rem 700 is my platform of choice if I’m going to make any modifications along the way. For anything cheaper than a custom action that you might restock or rebarrel, a 700 is diffiult to beat. If you’re gonna just buy it and shoot it, then you have to get up into models that are more expensive, and that those price points I’d rather have a Tikka, CZ, Nosler, Cooper, or Sako. Everything I ever shot in a match was a 700.

I have had a 700 bdl for twenty four years now. It is the only rifle I have and it has performed great on elk deer and antelope. It is a 7mm mag topped with the leaupold 3 by 9 vx2. I will be buying a new gun here in a few years for my kids. Is there a reason I shouldn't buy the same gun maybe different caliber though

I have 4 model 700's, and two Sevens. Every one is just fine except maybe the newest (2016). I feel the fit and finish on the new stuff is lacking as compared to guns made as "recently" as in the 80's and nineties and probably even into the early 2000's. there has lately been a bit of a deficit in the "heart and soul" department owing to the craftsmanship they are cutting corners on and turning out. All will shoot plenty well enough for just about any hunting situation, and if you are concerned about the trigger safety on older guns, just buy a drop in Timney kit and it takes 5 minutes to swap out.

For scopes, Leupold 3 X 9's top the 700s. 2 x 7's top the Sevens. Never a serious complaint except one has selector ring that is tough to turn in cold weather.

I just put a rem 700 in 30-06 in layway. I am reading so stuff about how thay are no good. I am looking at a Leopold for it going to try 180 e-tip. I would like to reach 4 to 500 yards hunting range. Do yall think this will be a problem.

Like a bunch of other folks suggested, make sure theres no recalls on that model and go for it. It's one of the most popular rifles in North America for a reason

My longest shot on game is just over 400 yards an on paper is 1275.. I have a 7 mm rem mag that i have no doubt out to 600. But its a real heavy gun. So tnats why i am asking about the 06 in rem 700. I do know some what what i am doing. But there are guys on here that know a LOT more than me. Amd have hunted big game more than me. So i come to ask to make sure i am right or to see where i might be off. Thanks

My go to deer rifle and favorite rifle presently is a Remington 700xcr ii 270 win in a mcmillan edge stock, timney trigger, with a VX3 3.5-10x 40 mounted in Warne bases and rings. I spent too much money on it but its the only rifle I own in which I am 100% satified with. It shoots 130 grn remington green box core-lokts into pretty good groups. If you think you might want to upgrade and customize some the 700 is a good platform to start with.

I am still using the Rem 700 30-06 ADL I bought used in the 80's. It has evolved as I have. A new Hogue stock when the old one cracked, new Timney trigger when I had it apart & converted it to BDL. Replaced the old Leupold scope & bases with a Zeiss & Talley's when I could afford it.
It still shoots the 165's in tiny groups out farther than I will ever pull a trigger on an game animal.
I have toyed with getting a Weatherby to say I have one, or a 308 as they are the new -06.....but then I say to myself, why?

I hate to agree with Buzz, but he is probably right on. I have a 10 year 700 CDL in a 7mm mag, and its very accurate out to 500 yards with no wind. I installed a Timney trigger set at 3 lbs, and bedded the action, and floating the barrel. It’s killed a bunch of critters, and my 11 year boy can shoot it. The Remingtons in the BDL/CDL/etc have a really smooth action. I paid $600 for it, and just have a cheap 4x12 Nikon, and its shoots sub-MOA with factory loads.
I think you will really like your 30-06, and don’t be turned off Remington’s because some guy wants you to buy a Kimber, Christiansen’s, etc.

My go to deer rifle and favorite rifle presently is a Remington 700xcr ii 270 win in a mcmillan edge stock, timney trigger, with a VX3 3.5-10x 40 mounted in Warne bases and rings. I spent too much money on it but its the only rifle I own in which I am 100% satified with. It shoots 130 grn remington green box core-lokts into pretty good groups. If you think you might want to upgrade and customize some the 700 is a good platform to start with.

Or better yet just buy a Rem 700 action and have a smith true it and install a barrel. For $75 you can send the trigger to Neil Jones and he will tune it and set it to any [safe] pull weight and it will likely be as good for most shooters as any aftermarket trigger.

Back