Rem 700

They are terribly inaccurate....... I guess I better scrap it and go spend 3x the price so that I can be accurate and shoot things ;)

Last edited:
The Remington should serve you well. I would suggest pillar and glass bedding the action. If I was shooting Accubonds or Partitions I would use 165 gr. bullets. If I wanted to shoot their excellent E-tip I would choose the 150 gr. E-tip. H4350 and IMR4350 both work very well in the 30-06.

I have 2 Remington 700s. Not many complaints about them other than the factory setting of the trigger - holy crap. In fact, my wife's .270 is one of the most accurate hunting rifles I've ever shot. My 7mm-08 seems to do a little better when clean, but its pretty accurate little shooter as well.

I, for one, kinda like 700' s. They're not particularly fancy, but in my experience, have been reliable. They get it done.

A lot of the 700 hate came from the trigger issue which was probably overblown. Not saying there weren't a few bad eggs but it wasn't like every 700 was going to misfire. This was the older models, the newer ones are fine.

My 700 in .270 is extremely accurate off the bench. But the trigger has a lot of creep and is too heavy for me. So I'm actually looking forward to getting mine replaced as part of the settlement. Got my paperwork a week or so ago!

Either trigger could be sent to Neil Jones along with a check for $75 and come back with whatever pull weight that you want and probably work as well as most aftermarket triggers. Turnaround time is pretty quick now.

http://www.neiljones.com/

Plenty of good reviews on the 700 and I will agree as all of mine have been shooters, many for a long time. I shoot regularly beside a buddy that has Rifles,Inc. made guns and my Sendero, PSS , BDL, and a 5R I bought a couple years ago shoot right with his. We shoot out to 1300 yards some too, but mostly 500 to 800 as that is more fun hitting a small plate at those ranges. 700's to me are all I really want to shoot.

If you're planning on shooting etips I would look at either 168 or 150 grain because the monolithic bullets needs speed to perform

As to the 700...lots of things you can do to make them what you want. I have 3 of them in the house and they're all my best shooting rifles, by far.

As to the 30/06...heard it said, and its true, the worst round based on the 30/06 case, is the 30/06. But, I've shot a lot of animals with one and they work just fine...and likely better now that there is a such a wide variety of bullets available.

The scope discussion...yeah, whatever. I don't see the need, for probably 95% of normal hunting, to spend 1.5x the money on a rifle scope as you do the rifle. That's flawed logic, as a best case. As long as the scope is reliable and holds zero...no reason for that kind of investment at all. That's not to say that if you can afford it, to not spend what you want. I shot a metric chit ton of animals with a sporterized, hand-me-down springfield 30/06 and a $30 bushnell 3-9x40. Held zero just fine.

Lots of folks these days getting wrapped up in rifles, loads, scopes, backpacks, boots, clothing...none of it compensates to higher success rates, if you're a lousy hunter.

I want solid equipment, but would rather invest my $$$ in scouting trips, tags, powder, bullets, range memberships...things that actually do make a difference between being successful or not.

My 2 cents.

Agreed. It cracks me up to see people that are just getting into shooting/hunting, worried about long-range shooting. The art of hunting is going away. People need to learn how to hunt, instead of worrying about all the trivial gear that they think they need.

The model 700 is sure not what it used to be, as far as fit and quality, but I have a 7 mag, SPS, that shoots Partitions into 1/2 moa and has killed a moose and a gob of elk-none out to 500 yards.

The -06 has proven itself time and again, but having inherited one, I don't want another one! For what I shoot with it, my .308s and 6.5s do just as well and are very easy to shoot. My -06 kicks harder than either one of my 7 mags and beats my .308, by less than a hundred fps, with 150 Interlocks, all while burning more powder.

As far as a scope, there are a lot of great ones, now. I personally will not buy Leupold, or Vortex, but that is just my decision. SWFA, Athlon, Burris, Nikon, etc., etc., all make good scopes, so pick your poison. Do a little research and make a decision.

As to bullets, you do not need a 180-grain mono-metal, unless that is just what you have decided that you want. The slower the velocity, the weaker they potentially can perform. The 160s weight of monos will kill anything that you want. About any bullet will get you to 500 yards without issue. An especially high bc bullet is not needed for that range of hunting.

As Buzz said, "Just my .02".

I just put a rem 700 in 30-06 in layway. I am reading so stuff about how they are no good. I am looking at a Leopold for it going to try 180 e-tip. I would like to reach 4 to 500 yards hunting range. Do yall think this will be a problem.

Rifle and cartridge might do it but I have a feeling your not up to it. Farther you get to shooting, in distance, the bigger part the shooter has to play. These day's there are a lot of rifles off the shelf that would make good shot's to the ranges your talking about, there are not a lot of shooter's though. Pay attention and you'll see a lot of this question about the rifle and 500yds and not a lot about the rifle and 100yds. Basic truth is that in order to kill and animal at any range the most important quality is the shooter!

Get what you want and go out and practice at 500 yds. Sooner or later you will likely get it. Only one problem. Most people shoot at rifle ranges and there just aren't a lot with ranges over 200yd and even over 100yds. Means you need to go out and make your own range.

Last edited:
Rifle and cartridge might do it but I have a feeling your not up to it. Farther you get to shooting, in distance, the bigger part the shooter has to play. These day's there are a lot of rifles off the shelf that would make good shot's to the ranges your talking about, there are not a lot of shooter's though. Pay attention and you'll see a lot of this question about the rifle and 500yds and not a lot about the rifle and 100yds. Basic truth is that in order to kill and animal at any range the most important quality is the shooter!

Get what you want and go out and practice at 500 yds. Sooner or later you will likely get it. Only one problem. Most people shoot at rifle ranges and there just aren't a lot with ranges over 200yd and even over 100yds. Means you need to go out and make your own range.

Shooting at 500 yards is no joke. It's not easy. Every little twitch you make matters and the way you hold your rifle matters. I'm not sure that I'd ever be comfortable shooting my Winchester 70 that far at deer sized game. 300 is a long shot, much less 200 yards farther.

Shooting at 500 yards is no joke. It's not easy. Every little twitch you make matters and the way you hold your rifle matters. I'm not sure that I'd ever be comfortable shooting my Winchester 70 that far at deer sized game. 300 is a long shot, much less 200 yards farther.

And the wind out west can really take a toll the longer you shoot.

Last edited:
Most of my hunting is done with a pair of Rem 700 CDL's. I've got one in 25-06, and one in 30-06, both with 6x Leupold scopes.

They've been accurate, reliable, and I like the way they handle.

The CDL's are pretty decent looking in my opinion as well.

Regards, Guy

Most of my hunting is done with a pair of Rem 700 CDL's. I've got one in 25-06, and one in 30-06, both with 6x Leupold scopes.

They've been accurate, reliable, and I like the way they handle.

The CDL's are pretty decent looking in my opinion as well.

Regards, Guy

Gotta see em...pics?

its the standard in the industry
I'm expecting a phone call on this one

Let's see, if I put a $250scope on an $800 rifle, the scope is not good enough. But if I put the same scope on a $300 rifle it works fine?

So if my $800 rifle shoot's 1" groups at 100 yds with the $250 scope, it will do better with the $1500 scope? Where does this thinking come from? Doesn't seem to me that a 243 shooting well with a $300 scope will improve for no other reason than you changed to a more expensive scope! Certainly are a lot of people that seem to believe this!
It does test logical thinking.

It does test logical thinking.

No, it completely misstates the original comment it refers to. Never said scope = accuracy. I have found advantage (other than accuracy) to $750 scopes over the $150 scopes I used to use, YMMV but not illogical at all.

No, it completely misstates the original comment it refers to. Never said scope = accuracy. I have found advantage (other than accuracy) to $750 scopes over the $150 scopes I used to use, YMMV but not illogical at all.

I hear you. They're more expensive for a reason. Glass is better, typically more reliable, more features. I agree that you should get what you can afford. If you can afford a $150 scope, do your research and find the best scope for that budget. If you can afford a $750 scope, same applies.

I think I'm more of an opinion that the rifle stays and the scopes get upgraded. But it seems others have the opposite opinions sometimes. I just feel like the soul of the combination is in the rifle itself and not the optics. (this is a bit of a hippie argument... but I think a few of you can relate.)

Gotta see em...pics?

Here's the 25-06, October 2018, Wyoming:
udxbhYdl.jpg

And ten years earlier, 2008, Washington:
KaCBvzql.jpg

The 30-06 has lighter colored wood. Has an older 2-7x Redfield here in the Brooks Range:
OVkVXLnl.jpg

R5KhMT2l.jpg

After the Alaska hunt I swapped another 6x Leupold onto the 30-06, 'cause I'm kinda hung up on fixed, 6x scopes for most of my hunting. Just a personal preference.

Both rifles have done really well for me. The 25-06 has been limited to mule deer, pronghorn & coyotes.

The 30-06 has taken a wider variety: black bear, elk, mule deer, pronghorn, wolf and grizzly.

Both are accurate & reliable.

Regards, Guy

I hear you. They're more expensive for a reason. Glass is better, typically more reliable, more features. I agree that you should get what you can afford. If you can afford a $150 scope, do your research and find the best scope for that budget. If you can afford a $750 scope, same applies.

I think I'm more of an opinion that the rifle stays and the scopes get upgraded. But it seems others have the opposite opinions sometimes. I just feel like the soul of the combination is in the rifle itself and not the optics. (this is a bit of a hippie argument... but I think a few of you can relate.)

I agree. As I have entered new hobbies or expanded old ones I typical work hard to find “value items” 90% critical functionality for 35% of the price of premium. If I find myself sticking with the new/expanded interest and I find my choices wanting, then I am in a really good position to pick my more premium upgrade with actual knowledge of what I find I like/need. My guns, my scopes, my optics, my boat, my scuba gear, shop tools, etc. . . . . were all incrementally acquired and upgraded as needed.

I see the logic behind “buy once, cry once” but for me I think I have been able to do more, earlier, and spend less later because I then better know what I need - YMMV.

Here's the 25-06, October 2018, Wyoming:
udxbhYdl.jpg

And ten years earlier, 2008, Washington:
KaCBvzql.jpg

The 30-06 has lighter colored wood. Has an older 2-7x Redfield here in the Brooks Range:
OVkVXLnl.jpg

R5KhMT2l.jpg

After the Alaska hunt I swapped another 6x Leupold onto the 30-06, 'cause I'm kinda hung up on fixed, 6x scopes for most of my hunting. Just a personal preference.

Both rifles have done really well for me. The 25-06 has been limited to mule deer, pronghorn & coyotes.

The 30-06 has taken a wider variety: black bear, elk, mule deer, pronghorn, wolf and grizzly.

Both are accurate & reliable.

Regards, Guy

Classy twins Guy, thank you for posting pics. Have you smith'd em any?

As to bullets, you do not need a 180-grain mono-metal, unless that is just what you have decided that you want. The slower the velocity, the weaker they potentially can perform. The 160s weight of monos will kill anything that you want. About any bullet will get you to 500 yards without issue. An especially high bc bullet is not needed for that range of hunting.

Pay attention to this. You were given the same advice on the bullet thread you posted. There is no advantage whatsoever to go heavy and slow with monos, particularly if shooting distance is a goal. Velocity is required to make them expand and perform as designed.

Back