Caribou Gear

Did partial knee replacement fix your pain for backcountry elk hunting?

beentherebefore

I'm new and searched other threads here without help.

I'm scheduled for partial knee replacement in May to address my growing arthritis pain. For example, on the fourth day of my Colorado first rifle elk hunt this past fall, I had serious pain when I was descending a steep, muddy mountain side that had thawed in the afternoon.

The inside of my left knee has been bone-on-bone and missing both the medial meniscus cartilage and the ACL since a 1973 injury and surgery.

I'm semi-retired and will turn 65 in April. My health and fitness are very good otherwise, and I'm planning several years of backpack and mountain hunting adventure so long as my health holds.

If you've had partial knee replacement, how did it improve you ability and reduce your pain for backpack hunting? Thanks!

I have an 85 year old neighbor that is better than new after two knees being done. Skips stairs two at a time. I also have a 65 year old buddy that had a knee done and it is the size of a Mellon by the end of each day and very painful. But I don’t think his was a replacement, not positive tho. If it sucks now, what do you have to loose? I would never do it until it’s really bad because of unknowns.

I’d say research the doctors reviews. My doctor gave me all my info for a second opinion. Had a full replacement in April of 2017. It hurt more on the way to surgery than it did on the way home. Therapy of course is a different matter, therapy can hurt. 6 weeks later I was back to work on construction with some discomfort late in the day. Never took the painkillers after 4 days from surgery. The replacement worked for me. Hunting became a joy again. Well until this year. That’s another matter. Good luck hunting and with your knee.

I had total knee replacement on my right knee April 19th 2018 and was hunting elk in Montana Sept.18 like PaLuke said the therapy is a killer but do it and I agree after 4days I would take over the counter meds not needing pain killers, almost a year latter I have some stiffness but the pain is gone looking forward to elk season again.

After 6 or 7 years with a new right hinge I don't remember how bad it hurt...but I know how bad the left one hurts. Not time yet..but soon.

Don't remember exactly who told me, but the idea was that there is never the same perception and life experience after any kind of surgical intervention. They all leave a mark, something different from a scar. I know exactly because worked as a nurse in London for a few years. Pretty tough job, I can say. Time passed and remember how kratom types used to help me, with its amazing effect could be focused and work for two shifts straight. Don’t remember at that time to eat or drink water at all. Did not have time for that. What now is happening in hospitals is beyond my expectations.

Last edited:
I’m in the exact same situation @beentherebefore ... “made it through” last years elk season but it honestly wasn’t that enjoyable and downhills were hell even with poles. I’m scheduled for TJR on my left in about 8 weeks put am still hoping to draw for this fall👍🏻 Best of luck to you! Research your Docs!!!!!

I'm new and searched other threads here without help.

I'm scheduled for partial knee replacement in May to address my growing arthritis pain. For example, on the fourth day of my Colorado first rifle elk hunt this past fall, I had serious pain when I was descending a steep, muddy mountain side that had thawed in the afternoon.

The inside of my left knee has been bone-on-bone and missing both the medial meniscus cartilage and the ACL since a 1973 injury and surgery.

I'm semi-retired and will turn 65 in April. My health and fitness are very good otherwise, and I'm planning several years of backpack and mountain hunting adventure so long as my health holds.

If you've had partial knee replacement, how did it improve you ability and reduce your pain for backpack hunting? Thanks!
I guess I am your Huckleberry, had a partial knee 11 days ago and anticipate being back on my horses in another 30 days. For perspective I have had 5 arthroscopic knee surgeries, both shoulders (that HURT a lot in recovery), and a titanium hip.I was home 24 hours after surgery and walking without crutches by the 3td day. The pain level was controlled at first with an infusion pump that I carried around for 4 days until it ran out (Infusystems a FANTASTIC product) which kept me off narcotics completely. I only have taken Tylenol and celebrex (for inflammation) and used a recirculating ice machine to control inflammation. My patella underside looked like a polished marble from bone to bone and repeated lateral dislocation (football and lacrosse in college), lots of mountain elk hunting. I have a very high tolerance for pain and avoid narcotics like the plague, so my experience reflects both that and the fact that my quads are pretty well developed from riding.
Suggested points:
1. If they have it go for the nerve block infusion pump, gets you over the first few days when ortho pain seems to peak.
2.Do some research on the type of knee, for high active folks the Stryker Triathelon knee gets great reviews, my partner has one and loves it.
3.The Doc will not know what is going on until he gets in there, I gave my Doc the OK to go full Monte if it looked necessary, fortunately he was able to do the partial.
4.Mine was installed by a robot, and the fit as a result was determined by the cat scan, see if your doc uses one it makes a huge difference in the speed of surgery, important in that you have a large tourniquet cutting blood flow creating the possibility of blood clots.
5.Do your rehab like your life depends on it, never give the scar tissue a chance to form.

PM me if you would like to discuss and I will give you my phone.

Be sure to use a doc that ONLY does knee replacements, ONLY! Do your research, some folks get hung up on "bedside manner", I want the best technical doctor. Ask about success rates for your type of surgery, k about the PT per son they will refer you too. If you can network with a PT, they may have some useful information regarding potential docs. Best of luck!!.

Both knees replaced one 12 or years ago and the left one fall of 2019. Hunted fairly hard and helped pack out 2 elk this past season.
By waiting you are doing more damage than you can imagine. Get it done give yourself a good 6months the longer the better.
Do the P.T. if you don't you will have a knee that won't work right and blame everyone but yourself. Yes, it hurts like hell but it's totally worth it to be back on your feet and moving pain free.
Find the best surgeon in your area and then find a better physical therapist.
Suck it up and do it!

Had partial a year ago. Pain and ache is gone but u get an occasional ?!?? feeling out of it. All going to depend on how much u put into your pt. I walk 2 miles 6 days a week with no pain or ache. I am 66.

My dad has had both knees replaced. He is going back in may to get the right one replaced again. He hikes alot. Like a ton. I think the biggest factor after injurys is to get as light as possible. My opinion surgery always 50/50. U will never be the same and pain will just be a part of it. Find the best doc u can. Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back