PEAX Equipment

Alps Outdoorz Traverse X and Hybrid X

modernhunter

Anybody have any experiences with these packs? I have the PursuitX now and it works ok for midwest hunting. I'm primarily looking for a new pack for a Montana Spring bear hunt. I want a bag that has the ability to carry meat if (hopefully) we are successful. I'm only really looking into Alps because I have a friend that can get a good discount.

I know everyone recommends the Mystery Ranch bags and I've seen one to understand why, I just don't think I should spend the money on it as I will maybe go on western hunting trips once a year. Primarily my hunts are in Iowa.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with these packs please let me know. The bags look good, I was just wondering how the frame would fair while hauling meat. If there are other budget friendly packs I'm open to listen.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I will maybe go on western hunting trips once a year.

I have used an Alps before. It was a long time ago and heavy.

If you do western hunting once a year, then an MR (or equivalent) is certainly worth the value. No way I would want to pack out a bear on an Alps. If you want to carry meat, get a pack designed for it. There are used MR's on ebay and here, or a solid discount on Camofire (and the like).

I have both packs. They are close to the same size, however the Hybrid is narrower and less likely to catch on the fauna. The Traverse has more pockets for better organization. The Hybrid carries the load closer to the body, the Traverse doesn’t. Both are comfortable with a day or two worth of gear. I’ve only used mine to carry whitetails out. I like the Hybrid better for carrying loads. Both packs have gone to Wyoming for backcountry hunts, no complaints, both have about a 300 miles on them between hiking and hunting. Are they top of the line? Absolutely not, but they do work well. Good luck with whichever you choose. I hope this helps.

I have the hybrid x and love it. Packed in gear for a short bivy hunt last year and packed out 2 bulls last year and it did great. For the money I don’t think you will beat it.

I have both packs. They are close to the same size, however the Hybrid is narrower and less likely to catch on the fauna. The Traverse has more pockets for better organization. The Hybrid carries the load closer to the body, the Traverse doesn’t. Both are comfortable with a day or two worth of gear. I’ve only used mine to carry whitetails out. I like the Hybrid better for carrying loads. Both packs have gone to Wyoming for backcountry hunts, no complaints, both have about a 300 miles on them between hiking and hunting. Are they top of the line? Absolutely not, but they do work well. Good luck with whichever you choose. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to rule out the Traverse just because I didn't think the frame looked heavy duty. Now I think Im just going to go with the Commander X. How do you like the frame? Does the job?

Nothing better than a successful hunt! How did the frame hold up to packing 2 bulls out? Did it have any sort of bending?

No it held up great. My buddy has the EXO 3500 and he was really impressed with my pack with the huge price difference.

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to rule out the Traverse just because I didn't think the frame looked heavy duty. Now I think Im just going to go with the Commander X. How do you like the frame? Does the job?
While I don’t have the Commander X, I’m sure you’ll do well with it. I like the Hybrid X very much, even if it is pretty simple. Does the job, I’ve comfortably carried up to 65 pounds on it so far & no complaints.

Tried to post this the other day but couldn’t. I think you will be happy if you go with the hybrid x.

Attachments

• F1D8D8F7-4099-46E9-9261-91E0B347F271.png
    F1D8D8F7-4099-46E9-9261-91E0B347F271.png
    2 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back