Sapphire wild horses

I never have. Hard to believe they would have been left overs from the early 1900's without getting noticed more or more visible.

I've seen lots of bears, quite a few mountain lions, and wolves. Of course most guys see these critters while hunting. Even saw a giant, old dead Ponderosa Pine tree just fall over one day. I've seen other crazy stuff in the Sapphires, but in over 30 years of traipsing around up there, no horses. Weird. mtmuley

I've never seen them or even heard of feral horses there.

So...if they are on state land does that mean we can hunt them?

You could glass them from Trader Bro’s or LoLo Town Pump.

Yeah, you can glass them most days during the winter above lolo and the Sapphire ranch. Not a very big group, and I know not long ago some of the colts and stallions were often trapped and broke, might still be.

Thanks jones. I actually feel kind of foolish I didn't know these horses were here. mtmuley

I don’t believe that they spend much, if any time on the rock creek side of the divide. I have never seen them, or evidence of them. And for their sake, hopefully it stays that way.

About 10 years ago a friend that worked for one of the ranches told me that people around were trying and occasionally catching wild horses to break. I thought he was full of it. Apparently not

About 10 years ago a friend that worked for one of the ranches told me that people around were trying and occasionally catching wild horses to break. I thought he was full of it. Apparently not

After I made that post last night I was thinking about it more, and they might have been catching them for bronc riding. The guy that was doing it also had the cattle grazing lease on the Sapphire BMA. A friend I helped him load cattle one day in exchange for hauling our treestands out.

He said they had a pen up there they'd put a hot mare in, then close it up when the stallions were in.

I also agree that it's highly unlikely they ever travel East of Miller creek or South of Woodchuck.

I also agree that it's highly unlikely they ever travel East of Miller creek or South of Woodchuck.

Probably why I've never seen them. Don't frequent that country much. I'll take my binos whenever I head down to Missoula from now on. mtmuley

When the Schroeders still owned the ranch I had access to call coyotes and fill a doe tag or two. It was wonderful piece of property and I never saw any horses while I was wandering around. Neat country for sure.

I gather that this herd is living in the environment and not destroying the environment. Keep them there. I love horses.

Horses in the southwest, Arizona, Nevada, and Utah, are a different story.

Maybe they are living with the Cheyenne Indian dog soldiers. i.e.-----Last of the Dogmen (-;

like bobydean I also love horses and enjoy seeing them in the wild. They are not hard to find in Arizona. I miss home ( Arizona ) and need to head back soon.

However, they are a controversial issue and not all feel as I do about them

Last edited:
Back