7mm-08 Nosler 120 grain BT factory ammo vs. Federal fusion 120 grain ammo for deer

If you hit the dear in the vitals, don't think it'll matter which of those 2 you are shooting.

my wife has shot deer with Winchester silver tip Noslers with accubonds and this year used the fusion. they have all died the same . her gun really likes the Winchesters so we will probably switch back to those but she shot her antelope at 280yards with the fusions this year he went about 5feet

I shot 3 bucks this year with 120 grain NBTs out of my 7-08. I was really impressed how well they did. These were handloads, but the bullets should perform the same.

Thanks for the answers but i should have asked which one is more durable, most but not all of the people on this forum seem to hunt in the west where long shots at game in wide open areas where there's plenty of time to take shot from a rest unlike in pa where shots can sometimes be quick and off hand and that perfect shot behind the shouler may end up right in the middle of the shoulder so i guess i should have asked the question differently

The deer are not going to know the difference between the different brands. Find what your rifle likes to shoot and go with that.

Thanks for the answers but i should have asked which one is more durable, most but not all of the people on this forum seem to hunt in the west where long shots at game in wide open areas where there's plenty of time to take shot from a rest unlike in pa where shots can sometimes be quick and off hand and that perfect shot behind the shouler may end up right in the middle of the shoulder so i guess i should have asked the question differently

IMO (and if I am interpreting the other answers provided correctly) If you were comparing one of those to a TTSX, Etip, Accubond, Trophy Bonded (generally stouter bullets designed for bigger boned game) you might find stronger opinions, but the two bullets you listed fall into the Core-lokt, Ballistic Tip, Interloc, Fusion, etc category where there is little ability to differentiate toughness.

Given that, accuracy out of your rifle is the only real differentiation.

The 120 ballistic tip is about as stout as any cup and core bullet I've ever seen...tons of information out there on it.

This one busted the on-shoulder on a mature cow elk, through the heart, and was under the hide on the offside...broke one rib as well. Shot was 70 yards with a 7-08 MV of 2870 fps.

2016101795120055.jpg

I didn't weigh it, but I would guess 50-60% retention...about in line with most other controlled expansion bullets, other than the solid coppers. Pretty tough to expect much more than that from any bullet.

My daughter has tagged 1 bull, 2 cows and 3 deer with that load. I'd have no hesitation if the rifle shoots it well.

The 120 ballistic tip is about as stout as any cup and core bullet I've ever seen...tons of information out there on it.

This one busted the on-shoulder on a mature cow elk, through the heart, and was under the hide on the offside...broke one rib as well. Shot was 70 yards with a 7-08 MV of 2870 fps.

2016101795120055.jpg

I didn't weigh it, but I would guess 50-60% retention...about in line with most other controlled expansion bullets, other than the solid coppers. Pretty tough to expect much more than that from any bullet.

That is really impressive!

I use 140 grain Federal Fusions. Fusions are bonded core bullets and I have recovered several from deer. They shoot accurately from any caliber gun that I have tried them in (7-08, 243, 308, 7mm Rem mag, 280 rem, 6.8 SPC, ettc).

Many years ago I shot a whitetail buck at about 80 yards in the Adirondack Mountains using 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. The bullet hit brush and was tumbling when it hit the buck. It killed the buck and I recovered the bullet under the skin o the opposite side. The bullet had apparently entered going backwards, encountered shoulder bone and was rolled into a "C" shape. The jacket was empty with no lead remaining inside the jacket. Obviously, the bullet worked & killed the deer as intended. But, I didn't care for the separation of jacket & lead. Since the I have only hunted with Nosler Partitions and then Accubonds for handloads. Once I tried Fusions though, I have found that I no longer reload for the 284 Hunt Talk (7-08) which I use every year and it has taken dozens of animals.

Just my $0.02...

I use 140 grain Federal Fusions. Fusions are bonded core bullets and I have recovered several from deer. They shoot accurately from any caliber gun that I have tried them in (7-08, 243, 308, 7mm Rem mag, 280 rem, 6.8 SPC, ettc).

Many years ago I shot a whitetail buck at about 80 yards in the Adirondack Mountains using 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. The bullet hit brush and was tumbling when it hit the buck. It killed the buck and I recovered the bullet under the skin o the opposite side. The bullet had apparently entered going backwards, encountered shoulder bone and was rolled into a "C" shape. The jacket was empty with no lead remaining inside the jacket. Obviously, the bullet worked & killed the deer as intended. But, I didn't care for the separation of jacket & lead. Since the I have only hunted with Nosler Partitions and then Accubonds for handloads. Once I tried Fusions though, I have found that I no longer reload for the 284 Hunt Talk (7-08) which I use every year and it has taken dozens of animals.

Just my $0.02...

Curvebow, if it was one of the original BT's, the new ones are totally different animals. They're quite a bit more stout these days. I took a 5.5 year old Adirondack buck with one, a few years ago. 15 yard shot with a 7-08 140 grain. Complete pass-through after hitting a couple of ribs. And if there's a more accurate bullet out there, I'm not sure what it is.. Are you from this area, originally?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back