Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CO Group Application - Same Unit Different Sex?

AggieOutlaw

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it in a search.

A buddy and I are applying for 1st rifle in a CO unit that is almost guaranteed to draw with 0 pts as non-residents. He only wants a bull tag. I would be happy with a cow or a bull tag.

It appears we can safely apply for a Preference Point as a first choice and then the 1st rifle in the 0 pt unit for our second choice. It also seems he can apply for bull and I can apply for cow as long as the hunt code is the same.

My question is:
Can I apply for a 3rd choice of bull as insurance if they run out of NR cow tags? Does this require that my buddy have to put in a third choice as well?

In other words, is the following a valid application?

Choice.......Buddy..........Me
1...............Pref Point......Pref Point
2...............Bull..............Cow
3...............N/A..............Bull

Thanks!
-Brad

Keep in mind unless the tag your talking about has leftover tags after the first choice applications you have no chance to draw as a second choice. If your almost guaranteed to draw with 0 points you will not draw it as second. Good luck just be positive you think tags will go to second choice.

apps. must be identical for all choices. as you note it has to be the same hunt code. how are you planning to adhere to that with differing 2nd choices. Not only will you fail to draw and probably be denied a preference point for submittimg an invalid application

if the odds indicate you are a shoe in for a 2nd choice bull or 2nd choice cow then just apply separately.

Thanks for the replies.

The odds are not a guaranteed for cow second choice, so I wanted to put bull as a third. There are almost always left over bull tags. So I wanted to take a gamble with the cow tag. But it looks like we will have to both hunt bulls...

I am a novice at applying to CO but the advice here appears to contradict the regulations. They clearly state that you can apply for different sex hunts within the same code.

"Group members must apply for the same species, hunt code, unit, geographic restrictions, season and method of take for each choice, but may apply for different sex. All group members must have the same hunt code choices on their application (other than sex)."

This is confusing because we only want to apply to hunt in one unit/hunt code...and I don't care which sex. I thought perhaps my buddy could apply for 2nd Choice Bull (which is guaranteed) and 3rd Choice Cow (which doesn't matter). And I could do vice versa.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

The odds are not a guaranteed for cow second choice, so I wanted to put bull as a third. There are almost always left over bull tags. So I wanted to take a gamble with the cow tag. But it looks like we will have to both hunt bulls...

I am a novice at applying to CO but the advice here appears to contradict the regulations. They clearly state that you can apply for different sex hunts within the same code.

"Group members must apply for the same species, hunt code, unit, geographic restrictions, season and method of take for each choice, but may apply for different sex. All group members must have the same hunt code choices on their application (other than sex)."

This is confusing because we only want to apply to hunt in one unit/hunt code...and I don't care which sex. I thought perhaps my buddy could apply for 2nd Choice Bull (which is guaranteed) and 3rd Choice Cow (which doesn't matter). And I could do vice versa.

You clearly cannot apply for different sex hunts in same hunt code. The hunt code differentiates the sex, for example E-E-XXX-01-R or E-M-XXX-01-R.
First letter is species: Elk (E), Deer (D), ect.
Second Letter is Sex: Either (E), Male (M), Female (F)
XXX is the unit - insert the unit you want to hunt.
(01) is the season: First (01), Second (02), Third (03) Fourth (04) and others.
Last is the weapon: Archery (A), Muzzleloader (M), Rifle (R)

There are some variables but for the most part pretty basic. As for the regs saying hunt code must be the same except for sex, i would double check with CPW to confirm. Would hate to lose point and not go hunting. Also 1st season has a ton of Either Sex Tags for 0-1 point, if you are torn on the sex, apply for either sex and be able to hunt both.

Last edited:
You clearly cannot apply for different sex hunts in same hunt code. The hunt code differentiates the sex, for example E-E-XXX-01-R or E-M-XXX-01-R.
First letter is species: Elk (E), Deer (D), ect.
Second Letter is Sex: Either (E), Male (M), Female (F)
XXX is the unit - insert the unit you want to hunt.
(01) is the season: First (01), Second (02), Third (03) Fourth (04) and others.
Last is the weapon: Archery (A), Muzzleloader (M), Rifle (R)

There are some variables but for the most part pretty basic. As for the regs saying hunt code must be the same except for sex, i would double check with CPW to confirm. Would hate to lose point and not go hunting. Also 1st season has a ton of Either Sex Tags for 0-1 point, if you are torn on the sex, apply for either sex and be able to hunt both.

I understand the hunt code nomenclature. What I don't understand is how they can require the "same hunt code choices ... (other than sex)." I wish our unit of choice had ES tags but it doesn't.

The best way to get clarification is call CPW. I thought it wasn't allowed but what you quoted makes it seem like it is. Best to be sure or risk not getting a tag or your points this year.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back