What's your big takeway from the forums?

406LIFE

This is my 2,000th post and I was just thinking what I have gained and contributed to HT since I joined.

I appreciate all the info that others post that I may have just missed. From our Legal Team on the current events in MT and National to the random "Did you see this obscure article in Bob's semi annual family newsletter?" The links and articles that are posted help all of us stay better informed and better connected. We aren't without our share of squabbles and locked threads, but it is worth it to mine the gems that are here. So thanks for posting them.

There are many posts here that I enjoy and learn from. It's interesting how a thread can go down hill so fast and be completely off topic. I think the safety of the key board lets some really let loose prior to engaging their brain. But for the most part this forum is a positive place to be. It's great to exchange information and experiences and possibly create life long friendships.
So congrats on your 2000th post I look forward to many more from you.

Dan

I’ve met wonderful people on this forum.

The knowledge that I am not a very good hunter has been strongly fortified and reaffirmed as well.

Lastly, I have learned a lot from this forum. The conversations here have changed my mind on certain topics.People say that no one has ever changed their mind arguing on the internet. That’s simply not true. If you’ve been an active member for any period of time on here, and haven’t changed your perspective on a thing or two, you’re either a genius or a dipshit.

HuntTalk is kind of an addiction.

Lots of great story's and pictures by induvial,s that love the joy of hunting fishing and the great outdoors. But then a few small minded self concerned people with little to no understanding in the true joy of life.

There are a lot of really smart, funny, knowledgeable, and very different people on here. The variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences have opened my mind in lots of different ways.

Biggest takeaway is definitely midget strippers.. The longer you stay the more you find yourself agreeing with buzz. Every once and a while I get a wild hair and send someome right to the X..

Last edited:
I haven't been here long, but I have learned to listen with my heart, I now have a basic understanding of Sanskrit, and I can now divide by zero.

I take away something new everyday on HT. Especially from the influx of "newbies", myself being a relative newcomer. Eleven more to go. mtmuley

As a guy from Florida who recently moved out here I can thank these forums for most of my western hunting knowledge. Well maybe not everything but a lot of post have at least pointed me into the right direction.

I don't post often but read on here everyday. Especially lately for planning my first spring bear hunts. Almost anytime I have a question come to mind, I can search the forums and find that it has been covered before. I will be posting something about bear hunts at some point but I'll keep trying to dig and find all the answers I am looking for so my questions are limited and precise.

So really, thanks to all of you who continue to share your knowledge and experience.

I am an easterner that wanted to go west and hunt. I found enough info laying around on here to plan that hunt and didn't really have to ask many questions. I'm grateful for the answers to the questions I did have and the freedom of the info on here. I have added what I could along the way.

One of the biggest things for me as a rookie western hunter was that I was able to work out a lot of stuff theoretically before I put it into practice. Since I don't have a lot of opportunities to go out west it helped me immensely to have gear and strategies worked out before putting them into practice, and having a seasoned group of hunters as a sounding board.

This forum still shows that there are good people out there and I'm very thankful for that.

There are a lot of really smart, funny, knowledgeable, and very different people on here. The variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences have opened my mind in lots of different ways.

That seems to be true of many forums as well how quickly that some threads take a wrong turn or derail. A good place to exchange info and experiences.

I've met in person or hunted with over a dozen people who I have met here. This made me look at when I joined... Wow, 2002

406 life

Not all forums are created equal. This is a good forum, with good people . Nosler is a good forum with good people, But the members of the Cabelas forum got so nasty and out of control ( it extended off the forum but started on the forum ) they shut down the entire forum and never reopened it.

The campsite and/or hunting lodge is two of the last places where one can escape --political correctness, women rights, peta, gun control, climate control, etc, etc, etc. I sometimes think the world has gone off the rails. Look at the metoo movement and how political it became during the Supreme court hearings, IMHO, the most vivified group of people right now is the --white christian male.

With that being said---yes, hunting and fishing excursions and well managed hunting forums, like this one, is an escape form the crazies .

Look at the "Replica" thread and you will see how quick someone offered to help another member and I have been offered help as well, via pm, and it was appreciated

However my opinion and 5 cents will buy you absolutely nothing

Last edited:
Great hunting and public lands info, good friends made along the way, great host keeping this forum available... It must cost a good chunk annually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back