Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What's your big takeway from the forums?

I read HT daily. It is like a professional daily newspaper that entertains and provides current information about hunting and fishing opportunities for resident Montanans. It keeps me up to speed about the politics impacting the public lands hunters and anglers. It helps me formulate my opinions to participate in the public debate in an effective manner.
I also enjoy and am entertained by the essays and pictures that people post. Thanks to all who contribute.

I found this site a while back and thought it was great. My mind hasn't changed since! I've asked and answered countless questions. I've met several members in person, and have been invited to hunt with someone in another COUNTRY who had no idea who I was or what I was like. I come here many times each day just to try and keep up with all of the new posts so I don't miss anything I might feel important to me. Some threads are funny, some sad, some spin out of control really quickly. Doesn't matter. The pictures and stories are something for this Midwest farm boy to admire and drool over. I've been lucky enough to have a few out of state, as well as out of the U.S. hunts but nothing like many of the trips posted here for sharing. My bucket list is apparently bottomless, so I'll just have to FOR NOW live through the posts presented here from everyone else. If nothing else, I've learned more here than I could from just looking things up myself anywhere else. Without having hunted most of the critters out there I have a pretty good idea of the gear and particulars required to do so. There is so much info shared here that a guy like me can use! Thanks to all involved, and all who take the time to post.

The most important is keeping informed RE public land issues and making connections w like-minded advocates.

Beyond that, meeting and sharing info w good people, many w excellent taste in music...@ least on Fridays.

elkduds,

first line says it all. Keeps my current. "The most important is keeping informed RE public land issues and making connections w like-minded advocates."

noharleyyet has made me aware of words most humans wouldn't have otherwise known about.

As an east coast guy the public land hunting options can be limited. When I joined I was just beginning to hunt out west and now I fully appreciate public lands and their importance.

As an east coast guy the public land hunting options can be limited. When I joined I was just beginning to hunt out west and now I fully appreciate public lands and their importance.

This is good stuff. mtmuley

I check OYOA daily. Almost always a thread or two will click on. I like the hunt recaps. I like discussions of application nuances and strategies. And, the threads when a state releases draw results. I also check out Bowsite most days though no longer shoot a bow. OYAO and Bowsite tend to be adults behaving like adults.

There are about 10 other forums will check once a week or less. Those forums are not as active or the bulk of the participants do not add much value when post so nothing much missed if forget to check those forums out for a few weeks.

I have met and talked to many I would consider friends. I’ve learned more and had my eyes opened to important issues that I was ignorant to.

What's your big takeaway from the forums?

...the crux of Proverbs 27:17

And sometimes Proverbs 26:4&5 :)

I've learned a lot about human nature, reading comprehension and the fact that sitting around a campfire tends to unite people with different perspectives in a way that no keyboard jockeying can. (Although the keyboard jockeying can lead to the campfire.) I've also met and hunted with a lot of great folks who started out as "Hunttalkers" and I now consider friends.

Lots and lots of great events are stored in my lifetime memory bank because of this forum.

I definitely receive more than I give when I log onto this forum. It all started when I first looked into what it would take to hunt pronghorn in Wyoming. I had no clue about how much public land was available in the West and just how different hunting on public was here in Indiana. Before Hunttalk popped up in a Google search I thought the only way I could go west and hunt was with an outfitter. I had actually started a small hunting fund to save up for a guided elk hunt. Sounds trite but this place opened my eyes up to how unique and important these lands are to the public.

That no matter what you say people will not realize how you truly mean it.

Lots of humorous sarcasm in my posts. People get offended. In person they would laugh it off.

To name a few....Importance of public lands. The large scale complexity of hunting and conservation. How and why I should be proactive in the political process of conservation. Learned that people don't keep a round in the chamber the entire time while hunting (new idea which is changing some of my hunts). And last but not least is that more people need to enjoy a squirrel gravy.

Very much enjoy learning new perspectives from others and experiencing different hunts vicariously through their stories and photos.

Back