What's your big takeway from the forums?

This is a great forum that if you contribute to people will be happy to help you with things, like if you draw a specialty tag out of state.

Lots of info is posted on here by people in the know on important issues that otherwise would be pretty obscure and you wouldn’t know about them.

If you’ve been an active member for any period of time on here, and haven’t changed your perspective on a thing or two, you’re either a genius or a dipshit.

Signature worthy.

I've learned. I've come to view certain things differently on some topics, and on some have had my views even further solidified.

I've made some friends, and had the opportunity to share conversations, drinks, and/or time in the field with them. I've had the privilege of giving and receiving help.

Like the wilderness, try to leave the site better than you found it.

This forum has:
1. been my main source for conservation news
2. greatly expanded my access to the full spectrum of ideas on various topics
3. pulled me more toward to the center in general
4. proven how terrible I am at hunting
5. added bucket list items to my own personal list
6. been a resource for a TON of useful info ranging from ballistics to hunt areas
7. allow me to share a bit of useful (hopefully) info and stories at times.

Forum has kept me uptodate on various public land issues and conservation topics. Made a bunch of internet friends who I have shared and gained knowledge with. It also proves to me daily the full spectrum of people out there from the absolute true experts to the don't have a clue. I also never realized some folks would be so excited about Doe antelope hunts. LOL

Imagine what the take away's from this forum would have been if Moosie was still in charge. Whole different set of lessons I suspect.

Nemont

The biggest takeaway for me is learning stuff and keeping up on issues while getting a break from cortisol inducing excel spreadsheets at work.

Lots of very skilled hunters on this website. Folks who are advocates for public land. Lots of knowledge about public lands issues, ecology, conservation, animal behavior, etc on this website

Its a virtual goldmine of info on about any topic you choose. I like the pics and stories of the hunts the best, and have made life long friends along the way.....

This is a prime example:
from the MSG age thread...
That is a the most important point for the future of those three species, and not just here in Montana...

The days of buying a license and saying that is your support for conservation has long since passed. Hunters need to do more with their Time, Talent, or Treasure. We all have small bits of one of the three T's. Any amount you can put toward conservation, either by your participation with formal groups or by engaging on your own terms, is making a big difference.

When speaking of the value for forums, such as this one and particularly this one... this is the large picture takeaway. I was an average Joe hunter prior and had fun yammering around the campfire about this or that. 2009... Think the OYOA tv series grabbed my attention and since then, I'm an average Joe Hunter involved with various organizations and volunteer time as available. I have my beefs over this and that, just like everyone here. Value civil conversations and debate over contentious topics. A few don't comprehend the civil portion though that is to be expected within internet forums.

Great people here from various backgrounds that offer fantastic information, many dedicated to this or that. Eye opening to see from their perspective whether I agree or not, always a value to listen.

The forum really helped me get more information and become more involved with public land access issues. Personally, after I encounter the occasional slob hunter out in the field I like to come here to reassure myself that sportsmen and conservationists are still the real majority by a sizeable margin.

Best place to talk western public land hunting with like-minded people. I really enjoy the hunting stories, advice, pictures, and gear reviews. It's a great forum to keep up-to-date on the latest happenings with our public lands with good avenues to get involved.

I have had the opportunity to meet a few of the folks on here and hope to share a camp/hunt with some too someday.
I enjoy reading stories, especially of those hunts I will never be able to do.
Its nice to be able to share information and experience, however limited mine may be
This forum and the public land debate was the inspiration for me to not only join BHA but to co-found the Pennsylvania chapter. I has been rewarding to see the growth from 18 members to over 1200.
Its always enjoyable to see the shooting irons that some folks here have tucked away in the safe.
Big Fin's public land and conservation updates are great for staying current

Despite the occasional dive into the ditch, I enjoy the in-depth discussions with some extremely intelligent folks that frequent this forum. I know I’ve learned a lot, and have been exposed to quite a variety of perspectives on some issues. It’s also the first place I usually hear the latest public lands news. And it’s nice to hear from other people out enjoying all our public lands have to offer.

Somehow I must have not pushed reply, as I had created a masterpiece of a response weeks ago when this thread started.

I highlighted my growing appreciation and activism regarding my public lands, a significant improvement of photography skills, and a broadened knowledge with concurrent shorter learning curve of hunting/outdoors skeeeelz.

I also noted that on several days a week I get to belly laugh at the wit, wisdom and assorted foolishness that at times is presented in word, meme, cartoon and photograph by all of us knuckleheads. I am glad HT exists, big thanks to Big Fin and all of the behind the scenes workers and investors that keep it going.

Living my entire life in Pa., with ample public land hunting opportunities, I guess I took it all for granted. After hunting in Wyoming the past 4 years, it has made me truly appreciate all those wild, beautiful public lands that state has to offer. Joining this forum made me realize how important it is to fight for them. Not much assault on public lands here compared to the western states.

Like & unlike minded souls. Sound minds & not so. Keeps me occupied. One of the very few sites I am an sort of active member.
Have met some of the folks on here. I have made some good friends too.
Some here where on sites I looked at 20 yrs ago.
All the productive voices I have ever heard elsewhere ,are here....eventually.

Hank,

Your are an asset to the forum. Your honest, straight forward and hate crooked NMGF officials.

Like the way you live your life.

Congrats on your 2000th post. I was attracted to Hunt Talk in the very beginning because of the raw, candid discussions about hunting, politics, and life in general. There wasn't the numbers of members that we have today.

Fin has done a great job keeping the more undesirable discussions from taking place.

What I take away from Hunt talk is quality entertainment coupled with input from very knowledgeable people.

Met many of the people that use this site, and can say straight up, that these people are great representatives of our heritage. Pay attention and you will learn something here.

I've watched people grow up, get married, and have families from this site. I think they are better people because of it's existence.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back