Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hammock - pros, cons, options, thoughts...

jblenker

Has anyone used a hammock in the backcountry? I'm curious what your thoughts were or what you used. I've been contemplating the idea for my next hunt. Typically we pack on horseback but this next hunt we won't be. Finding trees won't be an issue, I'm just trying to figure out if that'd be more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. It'll be an early season hunt so temps will be decent yet.

i have never used mine for outside/overnight use but i have used mine for my last 3 hunts. i have 2 one is in my enclosed trailer that i sleep in at night very comfortably. the only issue is getting out of and into it in darkness when you gotta whiz. i have another in my daypack it weighs a pound i take it out at noon and take a nice nap in the shade during my middays it is so nice to get your battery recharged during the day and so easy/simple to set up.i am guessing for outside overnight u will need a pad on the bottom to insulate your backside from the cold

recommend Dutchware Hammocks.

as mdunc8 said, get an underquit for the temps you'll need. For Summer, I like the DIY Black Diamond/ Costco down quilt. eBay has plenty.

at a 5'7" , I highly recommend an 11-feet wide hammock...slept one for a month...no sores or aches the next day vs our Temperpedic mattress.

I recommend hennessy hammocks. Honestly, not the easiest hammock to put up correctly, but amazing to sleep in. Great in the rain. When it gets cold, I use a sleeping pad. A little pricey though.

I recommend hennessy hammocks. Honestly, not the easiest hammock to put up correctly, but amazing to sleep in. Great in the rain. When it gets cold, I use a sleeping pad. A little pricey though.
recommend Hennessy Hammock also. Have the Classic Bottom Entry and the Zip.
The Double where you can place your sleeping pad is the way to go if not interested with Underquilts.

Dutchware material is just lighter. Hennessy Hammock is the tougher material if you're rough. If there are no trees and your back can carry the extra weight, give Tensa a look https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/

I have multiple hammocks to include Hennessy. I carry a lightweight hammock in summer when fishing for as above "battery recharging". Underquilt is a necessity even in summer if spending the night in the hills.

The only knock I have is that when camping you have no place to spread out gear to reorganize. No place to stretch out. It's either in or out of hammock, no in between.

These guys make nice gear and are helpful
https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/

I am a big fan of hammocks and switched to using them over a tent for the majority of my backpacking and backcountry hunts. They take some fiddling and experience to get dialed, and they aren't for everyone. But for me they provide the most comfortable sleep and flexible camping locations. I will say that in bad weather I prefer a tent to be able to organize my gear and have a bit more room, even though I have an awesome tarp for my hammock. Go with an 11 footer; you won't regret it. Dutchware has some awesome stuff.

Any side sleepers use them? If so, how does that work?

I am a side sleeper - I started using a hammock on float trips the last 2 summers and for the most part it works fine - my main issue is that in a normal evening in a bed, I roll to the opposite side multiple times a night and in a hammock this action woke me up the first couple nights until my mind/body were 'trained'

It has been a great improvement on summertime floats since the whole system (hammock, straps, sleeping bag and Klymit pad) fits in a small drybag, but I wouldn't be in love with it for more than 2-3 nights.

I'm also lazy and a couple of our spots on one river don't have appropriate trees so I often end up just throwing the pad and bag on the ground anyway.

I use a hammock, I love it. I run a Clark Jungle Hammock with Hammock Gear top and bottom quilts both are their 0* econ models. My total weight setup is 102oz/6.375lbs. This includes tent stakes.

Pros-
I don't have to find a flat open spot.
I can set up on slopes with debris/snow on the ground.
In heavy rain I don't get any flooding issues.
I personally find it more comfortable than the ground and I never have to worry about popping a sleeping pad.
It has an incorporated bug net so I never worry about mosquitoes.

Cons-
You NEED a bottom quilt if it drops below like 50*.
I have no vestibule to store boots or my pack.
I can not fire up a stove in my hammock.
I have to find trees. I can't camp above tree line or in open flats.

I like my hammock setup a lot, and I don't think I will be going away from it anytime soon, but for full disclosure I have been considering grabbing a tent so that I have more flexibility in where I can camp and who can come with me (dogs). A hammock is nice if you are going alone but if you are with a buddy you can't really split the weight like you could if you were both in the same tent. Also if you want to bring your wife/kids/dogs along you will need to have another shelter for them. Also be warned that a hammock is not a cost savings over a traditional tent your under quilt will probably cost as much or more than a top quality sleeping pad.

I decided to sell my Hennessy Hammock Classic Bottom Velcro Entry for $120+shipping. I modded it with 8 ft Whoopie Sling. It'll have the Asym Tarp with Snake skin and tree strap.
Let me know if you're interested, l'll post pictures later

I am a big fan of hammocks and switched to using them over a tent for the majority of my backpacking and backcountry hunts. They take some fiddling and experience to get dialed, and they aren't for everyone. But for me they provide the most comfortable sleep and flexible camping locations. I will say that in bad weather I prefer a tent to be able to organize my gear and have a bit more room, even though I have an awesome tarp for my hammock. Go with an 11 footer; you won't regret it. Dutchware has some awesome stuff.
Trailheadz in Facebook makes great over sized tarp and Gear Sling.

I never could get comfortable in one. I prefer the inflatable sleeping mat I got that rolls up tight and fits on top of my pack. I got a military issue hammock I never could sleep in. My back would hurt. But then I bet there are newer ones out that are more comfy. I have not tried one since the 1990s so I am definitely not an expert but this was my experience with it.

As an addition to a backcountry setup they can be great for some people, but like floor-less shelters, hot shelters, etc. they are use case specific and aren’t a good general purpose option.

I have buddies who have them and they just seem like a huge PITA but that’s just me.

I have slept in my Hennessy hammock in temps down to 25 so far. It wasn't too bad except that you have to leave your warm quilt to do anything except lay there. I have used an inflatable sleeping pad instead of an under quilt and it works pretty well.

I do a bunch of hammock camping during the Summer and early Fall here in Mn. You could go a hell of a lot lighter than my eno house fly rain fly for it, but as is, colder weather needing an under quilt, my hammock set up is on par as far as weight goes with my 1 man tent set up. They are super comfortable though. I say give it a go.

I spent 4 months in a hammock in the Amazon jungle. For hot weather, there's nothing better. Just need to sleep diagonally with support under your knees. In cold weather I prefer a tent but I haven't tried the new blankets that wrap around the hammock.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back