Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Replicas

Europe

After the enjoyable discussion on obsolete calibers, the question was asked about "Replicas". I am NOT up to date and therefore hopefully other knowledgeable gentlemen here on the forum will jump in and give us up to date information

In the 1960's my husband got to know Davide personally when we were in Italy and subsequently purchased firearms from him. Also when we were in Europe he was always looking in pawn shops, at estate sales, even small gun shops in small towns, for unusual or "they dont know what they have" deals. In the States, the east coast was the best area to look for civil war stuff, but Arizona and Colorado was pretty good for the wild west stuff.

On a different thread, Brent mentioned his love for Marlins, and I responded that my husband also liked Marlin, but liked Henry, Winchester, Browning, Savage also.

It should be noted that many, actually most of these firearms came and went, as he loved to buy, sell, trade, and give away firearms. So not a lot of them stuck around. Good hunting rifles and shotguns and some collectables that he grew fond of for one reason or another stayed with us. He loved all aspects of firearms, as where I on the other hand, saw them as a tool, for doing what I enjoyed doing, which was to hunt. He never understood that as he would go into an hour long dissertation about a particular firearm that he has just acquired LOL

I said all that to say this LOL

The names I know are Pedersoli, Uberti, Cimmarron, Henry, Chiappa, plus I remember a fellow from Penn, named Marten who made beautiful long rifles

Please, those of you who are into muzzleloaders and the old classics, would you add names to my list so that those who are looking for replicas of the old guns, will know where to look--thank you

Last edited:
C.Sharps Arms, Big Timber, Montana. I'm not really in to older rifles, but know of C. Sharps because they are in my home state. Those Sharps replicas kinda make me want one though. mtmuley

mtmuley when you turn onto Centennial Drive in Big Timber you will first come to Shiloh Sharps on the right. They are the folks that built the rifles for Tom Selleck and the movie Quigley down under. They build all their rifles from scratch, foundry to the completed rifle. I currently own 3 but have owned another. Then a block down the road you will find C Sharps on the left. They produce several models of Sharps and also the 1885 Highwall.
I also have a 1885 Highwall in 45-70 that was built by Single Shot Inc. I was told C Sharps bought them out and then started building their Highwall. Not sure if that is accurate or not.
If you go to Shiloh's web site they sometimes have a few rifles listed for sale normally in 45-70. There is a forum there pertaining to the Sharp's with info for loading and shooting the old rifles. Plus some BS threads like all forums have. Check out the site you will find some cool rifles and all the options available to order how you like.

Dan

Europe,
Gun makers come and go. Don Brown used to make an exquisite replica of an Alex Henry long range muzzleloader. After Don died, Rod England bought up his stuff and is making them again. I have one - sort of. It is a bit different because I can never do anything by someone else's rules, but it is a nice 1000 yd rifle.

viE2GIY.jpg

More often we have people that are making beautiful custom rifles out of actions that are being reproduced by people like Montana Vintage Arms. They are making the Winchester 1885 in all the different configurations and contours, but they sell only the action, so then you need someone to make the rest of it or do it yourself. I have one of these I'm making into a .40-65.

One of my other 1885 highwalls was similarly made by Wyoming Armory (Cody, WY). I have some sweat equity in it as well, having finished the wood and polished and blued the barrel. The action was made by Ballard Rifle Co. (not the original company, but a resurrection of it). They also made Ballard rifles as well.

I have yet another, the .22 lowwall that was built on an original action with the help of over 15 people. That was my first custom rifle and I acted as general contractor, doing a little of the work and farming it out to various other people for their expertise at certain point. It is fun to own such a gun and think of all the friends made by building it. It would be impossible to ascribe any one person or group as the main builder per se. However, folks like Sedgely, Griffin and Howe, and others made quite an industry out of building excellent sporting rifles out of old 1903 or other actions.

Strangely, Browning and Winchester (after one bought the other) started building pseudoreplicas of the Winchester 1885. However, under the hood the rifles were completely different. They shoot very well however. Those actions were made in Japan I believe under contract with Miroku but the barrels were (mostly) made by Badger in Wisconsin. Badger has been gone for quite a while though.

Of course Dan Zimmerman of DZ Arms in Oklahoma City is making a wonderful replica of the Remington Hepburn.

And, Steve Earle (http://www.steveearleproducts.com/index.htm) out east somewhere is making unbelievably nice replica actions of the British Fraser rifle and two or three types of Wessons. Like the DZs, MVAs, Shilohs, Earle's actions are nice than the originals by a fair bit. Any of them can be used to build a "best" quality rifle today if you know the right people to do the rest of the work or can do it yourself.

I know I am leaving some folks out, especially in the muzzleloading and the shotgunning world (e.g., Connecticut)

I left out one notable manufacturer. Axtell rifles, no longer in business, were made by Tom and Carmen Axtel. As the story goes, Tom ran off to Mexico with the postwoman or some such thing, but Carmen ran the business for many years until she retired from the gun business and sold her tooling to Shiloh. I bought one of these on the used market years ago in .45-90. Later I had it rebarreled to .45-70. It is my main long-range rifle.

Ever since I saw a photo of one of these on an NRA calendar, I had lusted after them and the Axtel, though not original, was as just as beautiful as the originals. However, they were not as well made, and mine had some serious handicaps that had to be overcome before it would shoot well enough to win. Nonetheless, it was and still is, the finest looking Sharps of them all at least as far as I am concerned. Even today, no one makes one that looks anything nearly as good looking - though they are probably a bit more reliable and accurate.

IAU3G3w.jpg

I rest my case. The posts from the aforementioned gentlemen, do in fact, give those interested in the old guns, current and excellent information / guidance. Thank you fellows

Sadly, as much as I love the looks and design of some of those rifles, I'll never be able to afford to own one! More important things such as a (hopefully soon) retirement and relocation are tops on my wish list. I'll just have to be content with what I currently have. Now, IF there was a way, I really would like to have a Shiloh Sharps. Not sure on any particulars, it's just a pipe dream anyway!

Brent did you add the pistol grip to your rifle?

Dan

No, that is original to the Axtel, and I believe that the original 77s could be had that way too. I have to review Seller's book to confirm that however. It is, by far, better than the standard pistol grip on a 74 Shiloh because it is far enough forward to actually do something. Have you noticed how completely different the Shiloh 77s look relative to the Axtels? I don't understand that.

Dave N, if you really want a Shiloh or similar, don't despair. It is doable. You may have to sell some rifles but it can be done. If you go shopping on the used market, you have to know what to look for and be prepared to work around some issues (e.g,. the cavernous freebore in a Farmingdale, NY Shiloh Sharps). I'm happy to help if I can. And there are other pretty cool versions you can get relatively cheap. Pedersolis are very good guns at a much better price point usually. Also, the used market in these rifles is softening markedly in recent years. That trend will probably continue. You just have to hunt the rifle like you would hunt WITH the rifle once you get it. It can be just as fun and exciting (or maybe I'm just a bit weird that way).

You really won't need or even want those old rifles you have right now after you have a Sharps anyway. :)

Dave N Shiloh has a few rifles on the rack now. Priced from $2401 to a bit over $2900. Or you can order one just how you want for $250 down and payment in full when it goes into production. I think the wait is about 18 months give or take. Check out their web site @ Shilohrifle.com

Dan

Dan, I made one for my 74 Sharps, .45-100. Once upon a time, I had a webpage on how to make one for yourself. That is no longer on line, but it's pretty easy to figure out. I made mine from desert ironwood because I love the stuff and it is appropriate to the rifle in my opinion, but ebony or lignum vitae would be good too. This is the best pic I have of it.

b74iSHy.jpg

Dave N, remember if you did buy a rifle, it won't lose a ton of value and may even accrue some. So, in the end, you may end up just temporarily converting some cash into a rifle and then back into cash again somewhere down the road. Well, you could anyway. I'm sort of incorrigible when it comes to helping others spend money on firearms... :)

Thanks guys! I think it will have to remain one of those things that are on the "would like to have" list. Sort of like that Shelby Mustang, Aston Martin, new ATV, etc... I'm trying to get my finances straightened out getting ready to retire from the hell-hole called work and relocate to Alaska. Toys and expensive items will have to wait. Of course, donations will be accepted!

My best (to me) currently is a older Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45/70. Unfired. Not anything to compare to the quality stuff you guys are talking about, but it's special to me for a couple of different reasons. It hangs above a window for all to see. No plans to ever fire it. Half investment/half I'VE GOT ONE!

Dave N, Moving to Alaska with a .45-70 sounds ideal. Keeping it in unfired condition though, no way! Put her to use and make her sing. That is an ideal rifle for where you are headed.

Best of luck!

mtmuley,
I've never seen a 77 CSharps. I would like to hold one someday. They look pretty good and their other rifles are excellent.

There are two Axtells on Gunbroker right now, maybe more. You could save some money.

mtmuley,
I've never seen a 77 CSharps. I would like to hold one someday. They look pretty good and their other rifles are excellent.

There are two Axtells on Gunbroker right now, maybe more. You could save some money.

Don't know why, as I am a big stainless, synthetic rifle guy, but that rifle is gorgeous. mtmuley

What is happening is that your cold grinchian heart is slowly being melted by the whispering warmth, luster, and love of beautiful pieces of walnut and rust-blued steel. Guns that have stories to tell about the REAL Good Old Days.

Don't worry, it won't hurt you. And, frankly, it will put less of a dent in your 401k than that cold, soulless stainless and plastic.

All in fun, and remember, Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

:) :)

What is happening is that your cold grinchian heart is slowly being melted by the whispering warmth, luster, and love of beautiful pieces of walnut and rust-blued steel. Guns that have stories to tell about the REAL Good Old Days.

Don't worry, it won't hurt you. And, frankly, it will put less of a dent in your 401k than that cold, soulless stainless and plastic.

All in fun, and remember, Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

:) :)

Maybe so. But I will say, you will have to pry the stainless synthetic .300 Ultramag that I have hunted with for 20 years from my.... Well you know the rest. Again, that Sharps makes me feel different. mtmuley

Yes, your heart is melting just a little more every day.

When will it be completely thawed? Who knows. But maybe in time for you to feel one of the greatest feelings in all of hunting. Standing over your first bull elk killed with a Sharps, a blackpowder cartridge, and bullet of your own design. It is an hell of a trip (all puns included).

It is special. Trust me.

PS. You can still keep the Ultramag you know. Though you may begin to wonder why.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back