Replicas

Wow mtmuley it's only taken you 4000 posts to start thinking about getting back into hunting and out sniping. Go for that Sharps you can thank Brent later LOL

Dan

PS: congrats on hitting the 4000 mark

Dan,
If he gets one, he will burn through another 4000 posts twice as fast telling everyone about it!!

There is nothing like it.

See ya in Raton.

Wow mtmuley it's only taken you 4000 posts to start thinking about getting back into hunting and out sniping. Go for that Sharps you can thank Brent later LOL

Dan

PS: congrats on hitting the 4000 mark

Dan, with all due respect, I'm not a "sniper". If I wanted to I could be I guess as far as hunting goes. I like big fast magnums that move big bullets a long way. If I am ever fortunate to have a Sharps rifle, I 'm gonna snipe with it. mtmuley

mtmuley, get a Sharps and you will redefine "big bullets".

You can own a Sharps. All you need to do is decide it is going to happen. I know LOTS of people that will help make it happen. :)

Dan, with all due respect, I'm not a "sniper". If I wanted to I could be I guess as far as hunting goes. I like big fast magnums that move big bullets a long way. If I am ever fortunate to have a Sharps rifle, I 'm gonna snipe with it. mtmuley

Heck ya all ya gotta do is hold high ;) LOL It's a hoot to shoot at the rams at 500 meters with the 45-70. On occasion you can watch the bullet in flight if the light is right. That's the definition of rainbow trajectory for sure.

Dan

As much as a rainbow as it may be, hunting out to 300 yds is very reasonable - if you develop the skills. Beyond 300 the rifles and bullets are plenty lethal and accurate, but the time of flight of the bullet is such that you don't really know for sure where the animal is going to be when the bullet arrives.

Hunting with a Sharps or similar rifle is really indescribable. You have to do it to understand.

Drip, drip, drip. I hear that cold, frozen grinchian heart is melting a little faster... :)

I forgot to mention, you will also look and shoot your best when hunting or shooting with a rifle like a Sharps. More so if it is a 77 Sharps, but any singleshot bpcr will do. :)

mtmuley when I spoke of rainbow trajectory let me give you some numbers I got out of a book written by Mike Venturino & Steve Garbe called SPG Lubricants BP cartridge reloading primer. The example is a 520 grain Lyman bullet with a BC of .428. When it is sighted in at 200 yards with a muzzle velocity of 1200 FPS it is 13.22 inches high at 100 yards. At 500 yards it will hit 240.44 inches low and at 600 yards it will be 397.03 inches low. With the normal 10 mph crosswind at 500 yards it is only drifting 38.34 inches.

When shooting at 1000 yards and the 200 yard zero the bullet will hit 1491 inches low, that's 124.25 feet. The wind drift will be 134.81 inches in a 10 MPH wind, that's 11 1/4 feet.

I think Brent will have better numbers with his paper patch load. I think his BC is better and he is getting better velocity. See if he can give any info if he has it handy.

Dan

I've got numbers, but they are just details in the grand scheme of things. It is a different world, one you need to explore.

You slide a small banana of a cartridge into your chamber and then the block slides up so smooth. The lever rides up into place as you bring up the rifle and thumb back the hammer. Your thumb pushes the sight staff up and forward where it locks in place as if it knows where it is supposed to be. The set trigger gives you a soft click you can only hear through your finger, and at that moment, the rifle arrives on your shoulder. It's all one motion and it comes automatically. It is like magic.

Wouldn't you rather shoot something like this? It is only 4.00" long.
n6Mksmp.png

drip, drip, drip. I think that heart is going to thaw...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back