How much do y'all pay attention to harvest success %

TexanSam

Like the title says, how much do you pay attention to that number when deciding where to put in for the draw. I know it can be influenced by a lot of factors, but when looking at places to apply for in gohunt, it does get a little discouraging when a place I have good odds of drawing may have lower success rates than others.

For instance would some people say that "with my skills, I'm confident that I can make a harvest if the harvest success is above X"?

I don't worry too much about success %. Like you said, there is a lot that goes into that that could skew the numbers. People buy tags but don't hunt, people never get out of the truck, or just end up giving it a half hearted effort and really showed up more to hang out with friends then anything else.

The guy who knows an area well will almost always have better odds then a guy who hangs out in camp, no matter the success rate for a given zone.

I look at it, but you have to research to get an idea who’s doing the killing, residents, non-residents, guided, private land, public land, bulls, cows, ect...

I live and hunt in Washington with a 5-7 percent success rate on elk and am fairly successfull. So I figure any unit with a primarily non-guided public land success rate of 15% or better will be a place I can be seccesfull on a 10 day going in cold turkey hunt. So far I’ve proven myself correct.

If the killing is primarily by guided hunters or on private land then its irrelevant to me.

For me it’s a learning process. It’s a bit daunting going in cold turkey to a new place. But the more I do it the less daunting it gets.
The big stress is planning a hunt with family and friends and worrying about others success and enjoyment. Glad I’m not a guide.

Last edited:
Not really but if the kill % is below 10% you better know what your doing and have a good plan and possibly be hunting where most don't hunt and with a unique strategy.

Not going to say it's important, but it is definitely a factor and something I always look at. I hunt for the experience and memories as well as the meat; punching my tag is the ultimate goal of my hunts.
As stated above though, these can be skewed numbers. A unit with only 25% or less public land and a high kill percentage usually equals private land kills and outfitter leases. Perfect example is when looking at Pronghorn units in Wyoming. I hunted an area with 15% public land last year, but the kill percentage was about 86%. Only saw one herd on accessible public in 4 days of hunting. Needless to say, that herd became 1 less :)

Back