Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Browning Xbolt Pro ?

Brandon Cole

Seen one of these Browning xbolt pros in Cabela’s and really caught my eye. Definitely seems to be quality. What’s everyone’s opinion on these? I have read of ejection problems is that true? If I take the plunge I’d go with either 308win or 6.5 Creedmoor help me decide.

Thanks everyone

Over priced, just my opinion. Just to clarify, I love the Xbolt I just don't think all the bells and whistles on the Pro are worth the price tag.

What does the pro have that the hells canyon doesn't? I mean it's a pretty rifle but pretty big price jump.

I have a standard X-bolt in 30-06, it's incredibly accurate, saying that, honestly i don't believe the big price tag for the "pro" model is justified. Unless of course you have deep pockets and don't mind spending the extra cash to have one. But I'll admit the Hell's Canyon and the Pro model are real eye catchers.

I have priced both, hells canyon is $1000 and the pro is $1600. They both seem to be on par with my Nosler Liberty an I paid $1450 for that. I don’t mind paying extra if it’s worth it.

I have an X-bolt Pro in .270 WIN. I absolutely love it and it is my preferred "western hunting rifle". I got it specifically for backcountry hunts where weight is an issue. I picked it over the Hell's Canyon, Christensen Arms and the Weatherby lightweight lineup. The muzzle brake is perfect on it and really cuts the recoil of the light rifle without being too loud. It recoils very similar to my gf's Savage .243. The stock is very comfortable to get behind and makes it a very fun and addictive rifle to shoot, especially when I stretch it out on steel targets. I did top it with a Vortex LH to further keep weight down. Whole setup is only 7.5lbs.
Really the only thing different than the Hell's Canyon that I noticed is that the Pro is about 5 ounces lighter I think, and that's mostly because of a different stock and a fluted bolt. Probably nothing you will notice, even at 10,000 feet.

I do feel that the accuracy could be better. Not that it's bad, it's just that the rifle is picky. Mine will not shoot Accubonds worth a darn- was actually getting 3" at 100 yds with them. Most other bonded type (Elk killing) bullets were about 2- 2.5 inches. This may have been a break-in thing but they advertise their barrels as hand lapped, so...??
I did find 2 loads that it did prefer though and they were the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 140gr, and the Browning BXC 145gr. Both shot about an inch. Mind you these were all factory loads and that this is a lightweight barrel. Still, it should shoot better for the $$.
I am starting to handload now and am on mission to shrink them a bit more and keep consistency/ open up options for other bullets if need be.

To me, it was worth the cost, but it still hurt because, well... $1600 is $1600...

Last edited:
I have an X-bolt Pro in .270 WIN. I absolutely love it and it is my preferred "western hunting rifle". I got it specifically for backcountry hunts where weight is an issue. I picked it over the Hell's Canyon, Christensen Arms and the Weatherby lightweight lineup. The muzzle brake is perfect on it and really cuts the recoil of the light rifle without being too loud. It recoils very similar to my gf's Savage .243. The stock is very comfortable to get behind and makes it a very fun and addictive rifle to shoot, especially when I stretch it out on steel targets. I did top it with a Vortex LH to further keep weight down. Whole setup is only 7.5lbs.
Really the only thing different than the Hell's Canyon that I noticed is that the Pro is about 5 ounces lighter I think, and that's mostly because of a different stock and a fluted bolt. Probably nothing you will notice, even at 10,000 feet.

I do feel that the accuracy could be better. Not that it's bad, it's just that the rifle is picky. Mine will not shoot Accubonds worth a darn- was actually getting 3" at 100 yds with them. Most other bonded type (Elk killing) bullets were about 2- 2.5 inches. This may have been a break-in thing but they advertise their barrels as hand lapped, so...??
I did find 2 loads that it did prefer though and they were the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 140gr, and the Browning BXC 145gr. Both shot about an inch. Mind you these were all factory loads and that this is a lightweight barrel. Still, it should shoot better for the $$.
I am starting to handload now and am on mission to shrink them a bit more and keep consistency/ open up options for other bullets if need be.

To me, it was worth the cost, but it still hurt because, well... $1600 is $1600...

I agree its definitely and easy rifle to get behind with just handling it at Cabelas. I also like how light it is with the carbon stock. I do think with any rifle reloading is what makes the rifle accurate. Most factory ammo I shoot I can only get to 1-1.5" in my other rifles. Thanks for your response

The x bolt pro I am really interested in is the new x bolt pro stainless. It is very similar to my x bolt stainless stalker, but 1/2 pound lighter. I tried to get Browning to sell me their carbon stock because the standard x bolt composite stock is sloppy on the fore end. They wouldn't go for it so I ended up ordering a carbon stock from McMillan. Six months of waiting has been torture. With the price of the McMillan stock and a custom muzzle brake added to my stainless stocker, I am at the price of the X bolt pro. I think the price of the pro is high but in line with other semi-custom rifles with comparable components.

Lightweight rifles can be more difficult to shoot accurately

I took a good look at the selection of X-bolts recently. I got a friend who is competitive shooter and amateur gunsmith and works the gun counter a couple days a week. He had lots of good things to say about X-Bolts in general, but was impressed with the stock and bedding of the pro. The price is an issue as there are a lot of semi custom rifles right around there. I loved the feel of the McMillan Hell's Canyon but weight was a little much.
Without knowing your financial situation or current rifle selection, I would say get the pro if money is not big deal. If you want to save some dough get a hell's canyon with some quality glass and don't look back.

BTW- despite the hate, 6.5 Creedmoor is a killer

I took a good look at the selection of X-bolts recently. I got a friend who is competitive shooter and amateur gunsmith and works the gun counter a couple days a week. He had lots of good things to say about X-Bolts in general, but was impressed with the stock and bedding of the pro. The price is an issue as there are a lot of semi custom rifles right around there. I loved the feel of the McMillan Hell's Canyon but weight was a little much.
Without knowing your financial situation or current rifle selection, I would say get the pro if money is not big deal. If you want to save some dough get a hell's canyon with some quality glass and don't look back.

BTW- despite the hate, 6.5 Creedmoor is a killer

So on the back burner I have my Remington 700 bdl in 30-06 that I want to build up for my big game rifle. I also have a hand full of 270winchesters and a 243win. So I am really looking for a dedicated deer/coyote and plinker gun. The 6.5 creedmoor covers that for me, the only advantage for 308 would be I could take that elk hunting in PA unlike the 6.5 due to caliber restriction.

So on the back burner I have my Remington 700 bdl in 30-06 that I want to build up for my big game rifle. I also have a hand full of 270winchesters and a 243win. So I am really looking for a dedicated deer/coyote and plinker gun. The 6.5 creedmoor covers that for me, the only advantage for 308 would be I could take that elk hunting in PA unlike the 6.5 due to caliber restriction.

My wife got her xbolt in 7mm-08 for just that reason. It's a dream to shoot with light 120 gr bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back