Alaska black bear tag!

Melman

I'm super excited, after years of watching Randy hunt SE Alaska black bears I put my name in the hat and drew a tag. I cannot wait! I will be hunting Kuiu island. This will be my first Alaska hunt and my first bear hunt. I look forward to sharing my experience with you all come next year.

Congrats, that's exciting news! when is your season?

will be going April/May 2020. glad too have over a year to plan this. will be DIY hunt so I have a lot to think about. Studying all the Fresh tracks black bear hunts now. Actually woke up this morning at 0340 and couldn't stop thinking of all the planning I have to do

will be going April/May 2020. glad too have over a year to plan this. will be DIY hunt so I have a lot to think about. Studying all the Fresh tracks black bear hunts now. Actually woke up this morning at 0340 and couldn't stop thinking of all the planning I have to do
Congrats. Have you looked into cost for transport to the island?

Congrats. Have you looked into cost for transport to the island?

I have not checked into cost yet. I think I know who I want to use to fly to the Island but I'm not sure on prices as they are not listed on the website. I'll probably call soon.

I'm thinking about putting in for that area this year as well. Are you going to rent a skiff?

No one asked, but here’s my take 😀....

I’ve hunted Kuiu twice now. You can totally do it the way Randy has hunted SE Alaska but don’t ignore the big hurdles he has been forced to clear. Broken boat motors, long boat taxis, hauling in gas, TSA tearing up your rafts, rain, rain, rain... there’s a lot that can go wrong up there. Both times I went I paid a little extra dough and stayed at Calder Mtn Lodge in Point Baker. They’ll pick you up in Petersburg and take you to the lodge where you rent a very nice canvas-topped skiff with a 90hp Yamaha motor, fishing tackle, etc. Then they cook for you so you don’t have to fly food up there. You can sleep in a dry place and use a dryer on site to dry clothes. They have a walk-in blast freezer for your bear meat and fish. Short jaunt across Sumner Strait at 30 mph to Kuiu for your hunting. There’s gas in Point Baker, as well, so you don’t have to fly in fuel. I’d think about it. Worth the money in my opinion because solving the other logistics isn’t cheap either.

I admire the heck out of Randy for doing it the way he does it. But it’s WAY tougher doing everything yourself up there. We don’t have a DIY show to live up to. Think hard about enlisting good help.

May 2019, Reid Bay, Kuiu Island
65F8E874-5D1D-43AD-98D4-D305A0394145.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree with @rmyoung1, although I did it the hard way... honestly I just wanted to do it that way and overcoming the logistics made it more of an adventure.

You really need to think about what you want from a trip because they way I did it certainly wasn’t necessary for success nor was it a more effective strategy for killing a big bear.

Also you do really need your poop in a group.

I'm in the "thinking seriously about it" stage, and really, I'm clueless other than seeing Randy's videos. My hunting partner and I now have two Alaska hunts in mind, bear being one of them. Brooks Range Caribou being the other.

How about you?

I'm in the "thinking seriously about it" stage, and really, I'm clueless other than seeing Randy's videos. My hunting partner and I now have two Alaska hunts in mind, bear being one of them. Brooks Range Caribou being the other.

How about you?
Definitely going to apply lots to iron out but plenty of time to figure it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back