Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Gunsmithing Question

Ben Lamb

Can a barrel from a right handed Ruger M77 be switched over to a left handed action without any changes or do you need a new bbl with threads cut in a different direction?

I've got the urge for a left-handed 7mm Mauser AI, and I also have a dream to never by another right handed bolt gun again. I had a tang safety ruger 77 re-barreled a couple of years ago and it shoots better than I can, so I'm thinking if I can find the donor action, then I can just swap bbls.

I don't think that there's any difference in the barrel per se, but defer to anyone who has ever swapped barrels. The bigger issue would be if you wanted to switch a right handed action to a left hand operation! I think that would be a no-go or really serious!

Can a barrel from a right handed Ruger M77 be switched over to a left handed action without any changes or do you need a new bbl with threads cut in a different direction?

I've got the urge for a left-handed 7mm Mauser AI, and I also have a dream to never by another right handed bolt gun again. I had a tang safety ruger 77 re-barreled a couple of years ago and it shoots better than I can, so I'm thinking if I can find the donor action, then I can just swap bbls.

So, you admit you've gone to the left....:W:

The barrel is same 16 tpi thread. But, the Ruger m77 has a claw extractor and will have a corresponding extractor cut in the barrel.
That cut is on the right side on a righty and on the left side of the left hand bolt receivers.
So indexing the barrel from one side to the other would be a problem for a DIY barrel swap, and would require some shoulder work to get proper head space.

The barrel is same 16 tpi thread. But, the Ruger m77 has a claw extractor and will have a corresponding extractor cut in the barrel.
That cut is on the right side on a righty and on the left side of the left hand bolt receivers.
So indexing the barrel from one side to the other would be a problem for a DIY barrel swap, and would require some shoulder work to get proper head space.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that, the barrel tennon on the chamber side has no relief cuts. I did a swap on one this past summer. Also, if doing a factory take off, headspace is most likely in spec, a product of mass production. Of course this ALWAYS needs to be checked as it could need some work as Millsworks said.

Agree with p ham. Ruger do not have an extractor cut like a m70 would. They can be swapped easily but like stated be sure to have a gunsmith check thread fit and headspace.

I don't think that there's any difference in the barrel per se, but defer to anyone who has ever swapped barrels. The bigger issue would be if you wanted to switch a right handed action to a left hand operation! I think that would be a no-go or really serious!

There are smiths who could convert a RH to LH, but with good LH actions readily available why bother.

I apologise for my earlier post. I mistakenly thought the m77 had an extractor cut in the barrel. Not all Winchester model 70s have them but I believe all control round feed actions do.
If there is no extractor cut ,then a rebarrel job isn't usually too bad.
Never put a barrel on a Ruger . But unless using a remage barrel with a nut, the head space will still be an issue. May need lathe work and a reamer.
I have only installed new barrels.
Might be better off getting a remage barrel and installing it yourself. That's easier to do DIY and makes swapping out later much easier too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back