Tikka T3x lite: new recoil pad

garyr

Can anyone who has the latest version of the Tikka T3x recoil pad, which is supposed to be an improved over the older Tikka T3 recoil pads, compare it to other aftermarket recoil pads such as the Pachmyr Decelerator or Limbsaver pads, with regards to felt recoil? I'm just curious to know if anyone with a new Tikka T3x or T3x Lite has swapped out the latest factory recoil pad and noticed any significant improvements, or not.

Not the answer you are looking for but the T3X stock pad on my -06 is plenty fine for my wife and 20 -23 y.o. daughters.

I've got a couple T3x stocks and have had a pile of Pachmyr Decelerators. I'd say the stock T3x pad is 90%+ what the Pachmyr is. They are very decent, I wouldn't bother replacing personally. The older T3 pads on the other hand are rock hard.

My buddy bought a t3x with the supposed new pad, it sucked!! I looked at some rifles in store and about 1/2 were hard like my buddies but that was a year ago

Can anyone who has the latest version of the Tikka T3x recoil pad, which is supposed to be an improved over the older Tikka T3 recoil pads, compare it to other aftermarket recoil pads such as the Pachmyr Decelerator or Limbsaver pads, with regards to felt recoil? I'm just curious to know if anyone with a new Tikka T3x or T3x Lite has swapped out the latest factory recoil pad and noticed any significant improvements, or not.

I have T3X Lite and have a few rifles with pachmyr I would agree with the earlier comment of 85-90% the same. You would get a lot more relief by adding a little weight to the stock, adding a slip-over recoil butt pad and/or handloading to choose a powder and a charge load that meets your hunting needs but drops recoil than you will swapping butt pads.

The stock pad on my T3x seems pretty squishy to me. Haven't thought about replacing mine. But it's only .308.

I've replaced the t3 lite pad with a limbsaver. I've been shooting if frequently while working up a new load. I was skeptical at first, but I've unconciously stopped using my PAST shoulder pad...and I shoot alot. So I'd say it's an improvement.

Thank you all, good info. It sounds like the updated factory recoil pad on the newer (late 2017 to 2018-19) models of the T3x, T3x lite have recoil pads that are close to comparable to the popular Pachmyr and Limbsaver pads. Those with the T3 models that came stock with the harder, less resilient pads seem to favor swapping them out with the aftermarket pads or using a Past shoulder pad, or using a muzzle brake or reducing the load or adding weight to the stock, etc. That all makes sense. But doesn't adding weight to the stock defeat the purpose of a lightweight mountain rifle, or throw off the balance a bit if you add, say, a Harris bipod to the fore end? Not sure of other ways to add a meaningful amount of weight without losing the favorable attributes of the rifle.

Last edited:
Thank you all, good info. It sounds like the updated factory recoil pad on the newer (late 2017 to 2018-19) models of the T3x, T3x lite have recoil pads that are close to comparable to the popular Pachmyr and Limbsaver pads. Those with the T3 models that came stock with the harder, less resilient pads seem to favor swapping them out with the aftermarket pads or using a Past shoulder pad, or using a muzzle brake or reducing the load or adding weight to the stock, etc. That all makes sense. But doesn't adding weight to the stock defeat the purpose of a lightweight mountain rifle, or throw off the balance a bit if you add, say, a Harris bipod to the fore end? Not sure of other ways to add a meaningful amount of weight without losing the favorable attributes of the rifle.

I was just listing the things you could do that would create recoil reduction - each has a trade off and depends on various individual preferences. For example, my son-in-law has ape arms and shoots a t3x factory stock where the LOP was too short - a nice slip on recoil pad gave him both a more comfortable LOP and some recoil reduction - but if factory LOP is already too long for you that wouldn't be a good option. My teenage son typically shoots inside of 300yds and doesn't like a lot of recoil so I handloaded with that in mind and was able to take a few pounds of recoil off by choice of bullet, powder and velocity to meet his shooting situations - but if you are trying to shoot elk at 600yds that wouldn't be a great choice. I bought my Tikkas for the quality action/barrel at a decent price, not to be a light mountain rifle. I actually prefer to shoot a well balanced 9lb gun (with scope/sling/magazine included) - by careful addition of weight I actually ended up with a better balance point than factory - but if you bought a tikka to shave ounces that would be a silly choice. Others raised muzzle breaks and silencers - both viable recoil reducers with their own list of pros and cons. You could also sell this gun and buy a different T3X with a lower recoiling cartridge - for example if you bought it in 300winmag, but you find that your shots are always under 500y and game you are chasing are elk-sized (or smaller) you could switch to a 7mm08, .270 or .308 to get recoil reduction. Many choices, but physics does demand certain trade offs, only you know which ones work for you.

I was just listing the things you could do that would create recoil reduction - each has a trade off and depends on various individual preferences. For example, my son-in-law has ape arms and shoots a t3x factory stock where the LOP was too short - a nice slip on recoil pad gave him both a more comfortable LOP and some recoil reduction - but if factory LOP is already too long for you that wouldn't be a good option. My teenage son typically shoots inside of 300yds and doesn't like a lot of recoil so I handloaded with that in mind and was able to take a few pounds of recoil off by choice of bullet, powder and velocity to meet his shooting situations - but if you are trying to shoot elk at 600yds that wouldn't be a great choice. I bought my Tikkas for the quality action/barrel at a decent price, not to be a light mountain rifle. I actually prefer to shoot a well balanced 9lb gun (with scope/sling/magazine included) - by careful addition of weight I actually ended up with a better balance point than factory - but if you bought a tikka to shave ounces that would be a silly choice. Others raised muzzle breaks and silencers - both viable recoil reducers with their own list of pros and cons. You could also sell this gun and buy a different T3X with a lower recoiling cartridge - for example if you bought it in 300winmag, but you find that your shots are always under 500y and game you are chasing are elk-sized (or smaller) you could switch to a 7mm08, .270 or .308 to get recoil reduction. Many choices, but physics does demand certain trade offs, only you know which ones work for you.

Thanks for that, I agree with you, there are many options. By the way, which brand of slip on recoil pad did your son-in-law put on? I'm assuming he didn't remove the stock pad, but simply installed the slip on pad over the stock pad. Was it a good fit?

Thanks for that, I agree with you, there are many options. By the way, which brand of slip on recoil pad did your son-in-law put on? I'm assuming he didn't remove the stock pad, but simply installed the slip on pad over the stock pad. Was it a good fit?

Since he wanted added LOP he used the Pachmayr Decelerator Slip On Recoil Pad off Amazon over the existing pad. I don’t recall the specific size, but their website had the dimensions if I recall correctly.

I would change the pad on anything over about a .223 on the old stocks. My solution to less recoil was to sell my hard recoiling rifles and replace them. Of course everything is a compromise between weight, cost, noise, bullet/velocity options, etc.

My T3 Stainless lite is a 7mm Rem Mag (circa 2004) and it got better with a Sims pad, but only really got nice to shoot once I screwed it into a B&C Stock. I have heard the T3x factory stocks are nicer.

If you are wanting a pre-fit, you will have to go with the Simms Limbsaver, as the Pachmayr is not longer made. I went with a Limbsaver recently since the Pachmayrs are only grind to fit now. I have both and have been happy with both.

Well, as a follow up to this thread, I tried two things which both worked. First, I tried using a Past shoulder pad. It worked to buffer the recoil pretty well, but it did slip off the shoulder and need readjusting often. It worked but was a bit of a hassle to keep messing with the fit. If I was a little off in the exact placement of the pad I would of course feel the full effects of the recoil. I next tried a Pachmayr Decelerator slip on pad over the stock, new version of T3x lite pad. The medium-sized Pachmayr was a perfect fit. It did add less than an inch to the LOP, but that was okay for me, actually, it improved the LOP for me and after 65 rounds at the range, I felt absolutely no discomfort at all at the end of the session. This was very favorable compared to only using the new version of the stock recoil pad on the T3x lite without the Pachmayr - sore shoulder. The slip-on Pachmayr doesn't move around at all, and in the end is rather impressive and sold for about $19 on Amazon. It made the day at the range enjoyable. Definitely recommend it if you think the added (less than an inch) of LOP can work for you.

A little advice on that slip on recoil pad. My son has used one for years or I should say has used a few of them. He tends to have them come off while hunting. You should figure out a way to attach it so it cannot slip off while you hunt. If it was my gun I would probably put black tape on it but my son says that is ugly so he won't. He would rather keep buying more I guess. He has really long arms so it is all about gun fit for him.

A little advice on that slip on recoil pad. My son has used one for years or I should say has used a few of them. He tends to have them come off while hunting. You should figure out a way to attach it so it cannot slip off while you hunt. If it was my gun I would probably put black tape on it but my son says that is ugly so he won't. He would rather keep buying more I guess. He has really long arms so it is all about gun fit for him.

Yeah, before I got the Pachmayr I assumed the fit would be a little loose and wiggle around a bit. But I was surprised at how snug it fit over the new T3x lite pad. It wasn't a big effort to slip on, but, at least on my rig, it would be rather difficult for it to simply fall off - pulling it off is significantly more difficult than slipping it on. Granted, I've only had it for a week at this point in time, and perhaps it might loosen up at a later date, but I see no signs of that happening. It grips well. It may perhaps be more a question of the size of the Pachmayr used (they offer three sizes: s, m, and l), and the particular rifle butt it's used over. I am using the medium size Pachmayr slip on over a newer style T3x lite pad and the fit seems as if it were customized. I hope it stays that way down the road. But for a $19 fix, you can't go too far wrong.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back