PEAX Equipment

270win bullet recommendation

Blaser270

Hello everyone. NC new guy here. I’m looking for thoughts on this. I’m headed west in 2020 for elk. Been there once before for antelope. Typically hunt whitetails with 130gr Nosler ballistic tip. And I’m a reloader so i can mix it up a little. I can practice out to 250 yds easily, which is to say I’d likely be ok to 350yds max. 1. What are thoughts on using 270win for bull elk. 2. What bullet thinking of penetration, durability etc? My first thought is 150gr. Nosler Partition.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Pete

Got my cow elk this fall with 130 grain TTSX leaving gun at 3,000 fps. Perfect mushroom on back side of hide..

Can't go wrong with the 130TTSX or the 150 gr. Partition. I've shot both bulls and cows with the 150 Partition in the distances you've mentioned and closer. Nary a complaint.

I prefer a bit heavier bullet for larger game, so we used Barnes 140 TSX in our daughter’s 270, though she’s only taken deer and antelope with it! As our shots can be rather long, we chose the 140 for the extra weight and the slightly higher BC. However, the 130 TTSX, should be a good choice as well. As a plus, the TTSX has a reputation for giving better expansion than the TSX. memtb

Never had any problem with the 150 Nosler Partition and I have used it in a 270 since the early 80's, mostly deer,a few pronghorn and one elk. So my experience is limited on elk but it is been used for over 100 animals.

My son shot his bull using a .270 at a measured 408 yards using 150 grain Partitions in Federal Premium ammo. They shoot very well from that particular rifle. That is a pretty long shot for us since we are not long range shooters.

I have shot several elk and a bunch of deer with a .270 loaded with 150 gr. Nosler Partitions. Always had great bullet performance out to 300 yards.

140 Accubond and don't look back. Depending on rifle and barrel length, you should be able to push it to 3000 FPS, and at least over 2900. Reloader 16 will get you there.

I got the Hornady ELD-X in 145 grain and they shoot great for me. I wanted to change from the ballistic tip 140gr.

If your gonna keep the shots under 350yrds the 150 partition is a great bullet. Either way the 140 or 150 accubond will work great also. Placement kills.

I've got a Tikka T3 in .270win and have used 130gr Hornady SST, 145gr Hornady ELD-X, and have reloaded 150gr Hornady SST. The 130gr SST worked great on the Antelope and Mule Deer, the gun didn't like the 145gr ELD-X all that well, initially was going to use that for elk however I reloaded a batch of 150gr SST and got it dialed in with RL-22, shoots great and puts animals down.

Don’t go sst. I’ve killed several elk with them and it doesn’t put them down quick. Interlocks or accubonds are MUCH better. I’ve also killed several with Remington core lokts. Does a great job too.

Like stated before use what bullets shoot best out of your rifle. The 150 partitions is a great round for elk along with the Accubonds and monolithic bullets. I use the 129 barnes lrx for elk in my rifle and the 145 eldx for deer and such.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back