$496.75

Hunting is still one of my cheaper vices. Cigars and bourbon aren't cheap. Neither are diamond rings.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but figure the cost of the trip and it is WAY higher than $3/pound. I have only one time gotten 175 pounds of meat off a cow elk, unless you are counting all of the bones-more like an average of 110-120. Bull, yes.

These states keep choking more and more money out of non-residents, because people will not say,"enough is enough!". This attitude of "I hope you quit hunting, because I am willing to take the tag", is not helping this situation. I quit Colorado a long time ago, as I was sick of their prices, short seasons and politics. Wyoming is still a fair deal at this point, but since they know that somebody will buy the tags, no matter what the cost, they will at some point jump on the band wagon.

The $3 was intended as tongue in cheek, it understand the full costs. As for the poundage, I got 160# from my cow this fall and thought she was fairly average sized (but I was in a situation where I was able to take rib meat for hamburger so I would have probably gotten 135# with just quarters.

for a cow, no. I'll pay a buck fifty more and take my chances on a bull.

So $500 for a cow with higher success rates is not worth it but $650 for a bull with 10% success rates is.

I think you are underestimating the wealth of those coming from the coasts. $500 isn't much in 2019.

So $500 for a cow with higher success rates is not worth it but $650 for a bull with 10% success rates is.

I think you are underestimating the wealth of those coming from the coasts. $500 isn't much in 2019.

It's still a lot for this MS boy. That's why I do archery and either sex. I can take choose as I find them. I

Why is it cheating? That’s literally how 99% of people who do that hunt buy their ticket, the instate portion of the trip is 7000 points each way and you get 30k for getting the card, it’s almost 2k in cash otherwise. Find me a credit card that you can apply for and within 6 months have enough points for a round trip from MN to CO.

Assuming you drive out and camp the entire time a NR CO elk hunt is going to run you at least $750, I’m just saying I was pretty floored when i got back from AK and was looking at my costs versus what it’s going to cost next year for me to hunt elk in WY As a NR.

This works once or twice, but then you have to start factoring in the damage to your credit from applying for new credit cards, not using them, etc.

Agree to disagree lol

In some instances maybe, in others it’s actually cheap. Take for example my daughters cow elk tag this year. We spent $60 in fuel, her tag $16.50. Went on a weekend. She shot a cow, got about 140lbs of meat. Already knew the area/did not scout. No havalon knife lol. Say I forgot something I didn’t mention, still $2/lb. and I got to spend time with my wife and kids.... now the opposite for our WY antelope trip. Spent about $1500 for 120lbs of meat, 12.50/lb lol... but was fun and another great family adventure!
Matt

Nice, can't beat that. I love those local meat hunts that don't require scouting.

I'm a numbers guy. When you amortize the 10x binos, the spotting scope or the 15x's, the rifle, the scope on it, the rangefinder, the Kenetrek's, the eberlestock, the handloading components, that cow your daughter killed just turned into $15/lb easy, maybe more. Even if you shot 5 cows the math still wouldn't compute, sorry man :)

And you can't forget about the gas and your time spent learning the unit, the 10 years in a row prior to your daughters hunt.

So in no way, shape or form are any hunts cheap or anywhere near $3/lb. Even local cow hunts. I think most of us do it for fun, and wouldn't even blink if tag prices doubled or tripled. Everyone on this forum would gladly pay it. PS, nobody let your wives read this post, I'm blowing our cover!

Nice, can't beat that. I love those local meat hunts that don't require scouting.

I'm a numbers guy. When you amortize the 10x binos, the spotting scope or the 15x's, the rifle, the scope on it, the rangefinder, the Kenetrek's, the eberlestock, the handloading components, that cow your daughter killed just turned into $15/lb easy, maybe more. Even if you shot 5 cows the math still wouldn't compute, sorry man :)

And you can't forget about the gas and your time spent learning the unit, the 10 years in a row prior to your daughters hunt.

So in no way, shape or form are any hunts cheap or anywhere near $3/lb. Even local cow hunts. I think most of us do it for fun, and wouldn't even blink if tag prices doubled or tripled. Everyone on this forum would gladly pay it. PS, nobody let your wives read this post, I'm blowing our cover!

I was just throwing around numbers to get a reaction, but if are going to get all "mathy" about it, let's also consider market value. Shipped to your door you can get elk hamburger and stew cuts for $15/lb, steak cuts are going for $35/pound. Plus, folks routinely pay $8/hour per person for entertainment (movie tickets not including food or transportation) so you would have to add up all those great hours of family time too. In the end, I am still confident that the meat and the memories are priceless - and even if you insist on pricing it, it is still below market.

Shipped to your door you can get elk hamburger and stew cuts for $15/lb, steak cuts are going for $35/pound. In the end, I am still confident that the meat and the memories are priceless - and even if you insist on pricing it, it is still below market.

Well yeah, you can also get a Ferrari when a domestic would suffice. I bought 3 mid-grade NY strips last week for around $30. $15/lb burger? Jeez. Not sure where you get your meat I guess, wine taste?

But yes, the memories alone are priceless. Since we don't always "get one."

I've killed deer and elk on my property a couple hundred yards from the house. Those were a bargain. mtmuley

tw,
You probably don’t know me. But my Bino’s were not purchased, I won them for a $1, lol, my reloading stuff my dad has, no cost too me, my pack cost me $100 12 years ago. I also usually get $200 in gift cards to Cabela’s every Christmas. Rarely do I spend very much of my own money, I love the outdoors so I have to get creative so I can go all the time. You can compute all the numbers you want everyone’s situation is different and so there cost of meat is different. Also you have to figure in Depreciation lol, I’ve had the same spotter for 15 years lol. I rarely buy anything new, I’m a cheap shopper lol
Matt

Duck-Slayer supports his outdoor inventory sharking Fantasy Football players.

Like everything, pay to play. Some rich DIY'ers here, no doubt. Swaros, etc.

tw,
You probably don’t know me. But my Bino’s were not purchased, I won them for a $1, lol, my reloading stuff my dad has, no cost too me, my pack cost me $100 12 years ago. I also usually get $200 in gift cards to Cabela’s every Christmas. Rarely do I spend very much of my own money, I love the outdoors so I have to get creative so I can go all the time. You can compute all the numbers you want everyone’s situation is different and so there cost of meat is different. Also you have to figure in Depreciation lol, I’ve had the same spotter for 15 years lol. I rarely buy anything new, I’m a cheap shopper lol
Matt

..that's my story to the wife also ....and I'm sticking to it.;)

This works once or twice, but then you have to start factoring in the damage to your credit from applying for new credit cards, not using them, etc.

Way less than people think. Each new card opened is an initial hit of about 3 pts on your FICO score, but credit amount and history will get the score right back up there. I have over 20 cards open and my score is right at 800. I've never carried a balance on any of them. I also haven't paid for a flight in the past 5 years (other than taxes and a few annual fees on the cards).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back