CO 2019 Regs out

Wonder how many are gonna be in shock when they learn they have to buy a small game license to apply?

Wow, that license isn't cheap either. I wonder how much of an impact that will have on folks buying points?

I doubt much effect.. Price will not be much more if you were already paying point fees for elk/deer/pronghorn. I guess we can always hope though..

I doubt much effect.. Price will not be much more if you were already paying point fees for elk/deer/pronghorn. I guess we can always hope though..

That's a big difference for the ones that hunt out there every year as our preference points were free when we had a big game license the previous season. I'm at least thankful they didn't increase the license cost for once.

There are many other changes: hunting cows in San Luis Valley has several license changes, several unit boundaries have changed, some new RFW offerings and others that are different than last year, free 'reverse' or throwback of draw license before leftover draw, mandatory CWD testing on deer in several units. 2 pages of changes in the new brochure.

One thing that stuck out to me was the elimination of all high country rifle deer hunts starting any earlier than September 7th; notwithstanding the BGSS set dates, some units such as the Sangre de Cristo hunt and Unit 74 hunt traditionally started September 1st, which is more desirable IMO. I’m guessing this has to do with the amount of people using the high country, in general, and trying to eliminate conflicts that could arise on Labor Day weekend.

One thing that stuck out to me was the elimination of all high country rifle deer hunts starting any earlier than September 7th; notwithstanding the BGSS set dates, some units such as the Sangre de Cristo hunt and Unit 74 hunt traditionally started September 1st, which is more desirable IMO.

I'm fairly sure they mentioned at one of the recent meetings that was not a season change, but built in to the calculation of when that season starts. Something to do with September 1st being a Sunday. I could be wrong though.

One thing that stuck out to me was the elimination of all high country rifle deer hunts starting any earlier than September 7th; notwithstanding the BGSS set dates, some units such as the Sangre de Cristo hunt and Unit 74 hunt traditionally started September 1st, which is more desirable IMO. I’m guessing this has to do with the amount of people using the high country, in general, and trying to eliminate conflicts that could arise on Labor Day weekend.

Before the rules came out there is the proposal or whatever its called with changes underlined in red etc. All the units you mentioned plus a few more that usually start 1 week after archery starts were going to start the same day as archery this year, August 31st. CBA heard about it and brought it up and those dates got moved back to starting 1 week after archery. They only start on the 1st if that is the Saturday after opening day of archery.

The one I don't understand is 65 early rifle. Every other high country rifle hunt is starting on the 7th this year. 65 is starting on the 14th. Even the 5 year BGSS for 2015-2019 shows that it should start on the 7th like all the rest. I'm guessing the bio or warden usually hunt muzzy in there and don't want the rifle hunters getting in there before them.

Last edited:
Interesting on the CBA perspective as I can see their point; sounds like this is just an anomaly due to the way the dates fell this year and if the archery deer seasons get pushed to earlier dates as is being discussed, then such a conflict goes away.

Man, $300 to apply for a sheep and a my goat tag? Has Colorado lost their damn minds?

Actually its less to apply. Colorado is letting you opt out of purchasing a point if you want. Wyoming is more expensive, Utah less, Montana less, Idaho more, and on and on. Colorado is in the middle of the pack price wise when it comes to oil tags. And if you apply for all species Colorado is probably the second cheapest state to apply in to Utah.

Are PP still $3 for deer elk and antelope if you purchase a NR fishing license?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back