Montana Preference vs Bonus points (NR)

coleslaw

Alright, so I'm having a hard time grasping the Montana regulations for non-residents and the whole preference point vs bonus point thing. I feel like I need this to be explained to me like I am ten years old... maybe even 9 lol.
Anyways, what I am understanding is that in order to get the General tag in Montana, I have to apply with Preference Points and I have to choose one of the 3 combination hunts/ tags (Elk, Deer or the Elk & Deer combo).
If I draw the general and decide I want to try a limited entry hunt, is that what I would apply my Bonus points towards? Do I apply for the limited entry during the initial application or is there another draw for limited entry? This is mostly concerning the Elk seasons.

If that is all correct, is it worth buying bonus points every year with preference points or better to stick with just preference points and the general tags?

Pref points are for the general combo tags . U don’t have to buy one - for deer combo you would probably want to buy but for other two you should draw without one . If you want a special permit you apply for that at same time and buy the bonus point , the point won’t help you this year but it’ll go toward next years drawing

This article should help.
https://www.gohunt.com/read/INSIDER/application-strategy-2019-montana-elk

One thing to remember is that if you don't have a preference point your odds of drawing a Big Game or Elk Combo tag (general tag) are about 50% (at least in 2018), and 100% draw with one point. If you are going to apply for a limited entry unit, you will need to apply for this in the same application, and this is where bonus points are considered/used if you have any. There will be an option to choose a refund if you draw the general combo tag and don't draw the LE permit. Basically you can choose to be refunded a certain % of the fee (I believe 80%) or you can elect to keep the combo general tag. Hope this helps.

This article should help.
https://www.gohunt.com/read/INSIDER/application-strategy-2019-montana-elk

One thing to remember is that if you don't have a preference point your odds of drawing a Big Game or Elk Combo tag (general tag) are about 50% (at least in 2018), and 100% draw with one point. If you are going to apply for a limited entry unit, you will need to apply for this in the same application, and this is where bonus points are considered/used if you have any. There will be an option to choose a refund if you draw the general combo tag and don't draw the LE permit. Basically you can choose to be refunded a certain % of the fee (I believe 80%) or you can elect to keep the combo general tag. Hope this helps.

No . Elk combo was 100% draw . Big game combo was high percent also

Yeah, I did read the GoHunt article and that did clear it up some, but before that I was pretty confused after reading the Montana regulations directly so I figured I'd throw a post here in the forum.
I did start buying bonus points, so now it looks like it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a preference point to ensure a general tag when the time is right with work and other hunts. May have to settle on a general tag the first hunt or two and continue to build bonus points for who knows how long.
I have been accruing points in many other states (WY,CO,AZ,SD,UT) and out of all of them, Montana has been the most complicated and confusing. Sounds like I got it right now. Thanks!

Here’s what i can’t grasp. I’m supposed to apply for NR native application that takes 4-6 weeks to process and it says to apply for any permits and licenses at the same time, but the elk and deer apps are due in 4 weeks and aren’t open to apply for yet.

Not according to GOHunt. Where are you getting the info?

Big Game Combo Apps with 0 Points - 7,747, 3,970 Successful = 51.25%
Big Game Combo Apps with 1 Point - 9,007, 9007 Successful = 100%

Elk Combo Apps with 0 points - 2,690, 1,443 Successful = 53.64%
Elk Combo Apps with 1 point - 1,827, 1,827 Successful = 100%

Not according to GOHunt. Where are you getting the info?

Big Game Combo Apps with 0 Points - 7,747, 3,970 Successful = 51.25%
Big Game Combo Apps with 1 Point - 9,007, 9007 Successful = 100%

Elk Combo Apps with 0 points - 2,690, 1,443 Successful = 53.64%
Elk Combo Apps with 1 point - 1,827, 1,827 Successful = 100%

I don't subscribe to GoHunt, but there were some elk combos available as leftovers for a while last year.

I am not saying go hunt is correct, but its the only 2018 data I can find. I seem to recall several NR's who did not draw Elk Combos last year but certainly could be wrong. I do know for a fact that there were NR's that didn't draw Big Game Combos.

Instead of being argumentative I am sure that those of us who have inaccurate information would appreciate you sharing what the actual draw odds were in 2018 and how you arrived it those results if its not too much trouble?

I am not saying go hunt is correct, but its the only 2018 data I can find. I seem to recall several NR's who did not draw Elk Combos last year but certainly could be wrong. I do know for a fact that there were NR's that didn't draw Big Game Combos.

Instead of being argumentative I am sure that those of us who have inaccurate information would appreciate you sharing what the actual draw odds were in 2018 and how you arrived it those results if its not too much trouble?

Not arguing at all . Fact . Elk combos were 100% draw . Big game was high percentage but yes a few were turned down . Deer combo decent number were turned down

Then go hunt is a pos and inaccurate. Elk combo in drawing was 100%

8 no need to be so hostile man. I believe people who DID NOT purchase the preference point for $50 when applying and essentially went in with 0 pp's were in fact 50/50 on drawing the combos. Those who did and went into the drawing with 1 pp were 100%.

The reason there were leftovers is because people can turn them in all the way up to 8/1 so some started trickling in around hunting season.

However, I may be wrong. I'm too lazy to call FWP and get the correct info :cool:

8 no need to be so hostile man. I believe people who DID NOT purchase the preference point for $50 when applying and essentially went in with 0 pp's were in fact 50/50 on drawing the combos. Those who did and went into the drawing with 1 pp were 100%.

The reason there were leftovers is because people can turn them in all the way up to 8/1 so some started trickling in around hunting season.

However, I may be wrong. I'm too lazy to call FWP and get the correct info :cool:

There was 800 elk combos after the initial drawing ...., therefore 100% . Not hostile or arguing . It’s a fact any way u spin it the elk combo draw was 100%

There was 800 elk combos after the initial drawing ...., therefore 100% . Not hostile or arguing . It’s a fact any way u spin it the elk combo draw was 100%

I'm super lazy today. Any chance you could share the FWP link with the combo breakdowns? That would be helpful. I'm already exhausted dealing with all these stats and applications and it's only February.

I'm super lazy today. Any chance you could share the FWP link with the combo breakdowns? That would be helpful. I'm already exhausted dealing with all these stats and applications and it's only February.

Honestly I’ve been looking on heee but can’t find I know there was a thread about it last year after the draw . I do know this for a fact , there were elk combs leftover and available for purchase in early May cuz I know a guy that bought one that means it was 100% draw. Nothing had been sent back yet .

I know a couple guys from Wisconsin that didn't draw elk tags last year. As far as I knew they applied for the elk combo not the big game combo. I'll ask them.

I don't think MTFWP can tell you the draw stats. I remember a guy on here or another forum last year that drew his elk permit but was unsuccessful on the general big game combo. How's that even possible? I'm not sure whatever happened with him or if he got to hunt but they (MTFWP) sure can screw up the whole process sometimes. Makes you wonder how fair or random their process really is???

They’re just winging it. And want 10 million to reinvent the wheel to fix it.

Check out the stats on unit 700 elk. 457 NR applied. The cap is supposed to be 10% (25 since there’s 250 tags). Instead they capped it at 2 and drew 0
Then they sent a bunch of residents tags that were notified they weren’t successful, over rewarding tags in the unit.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back