Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

14 degree snowshoe hike today

Guy

Two friends and my dog accompanied me on today's snowshoe hike into the Cascades. It was a mite nippy at 14 degrees where we parked, but partly cloudy, and some nice sunshine time to time. We've been getting hammered with snowstorms for the past week. The snow was deep, fluffy, and just plain nice!

I was armed with my trusty 45 1911, carried emergency supplies in my pack. Used my small MSR snowshoes. ALMOST went back to my big old 10x56" wood & rawhide snowshoes, but I really like these light, small shoes. There were a couple of points today when the fresh snow would have been better handled by the big old snowshoes, but for the most part the new, lightweight, little shoes performed well.

One of my buddies caught me striking a pose and not smiling. Why I wasn't smiling in the face of such natural beauty, I don't know. It was gorgeous in the late morning sun. :)
dxjN9VSl.jpg

Ya, despite my efforts, it appears that I may have put on (may?) some weight over the winter. Sigh...

The Cascades!
WyxfR2ml.jpg

Clark the German Wirehaired Pointer:
yR4sxYpl.jpg

That dog loves his hikes, especially the snowy hikes!

We ran across squirrel, mouse, bunny, deer and coyote tracks, and some that looked like bobcat to me, but I wasn't sure. Clark was doing a LOT of air-scenting before and after we came across the deer tracks, which appeared to be being followed by coyote tracks... He knew what was going on and wanted to follow, but listened to my commands of "No bird. Leave it." He's a good boy. Though he's 65 pounds and strong, he's also 10 years old and a mere domestic dog. I don't think he'd have a chance against a couple of coyotes.

Let alone a cougar!

Good hike. Guy

One of the things I love about snowshoe hiking is that I started when I was 16 or 17, and now at 62, I'm still enjoying it!

:)

Thanks for sharing. I have a lot of memories snowshoeing with my grandpa. Sadly, with his health I think those days may be over. They are times I cherish. With the snow we have had, I might be snapping on the snowshoes when I go ice fishing this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back