Caribou Gear Tarp

Bozeman & surrounds - Things to do

OzzyDave

Looking for some suggestions to pass a few days when we are over in Bozeman in September.
This is what we have already:
1 day - sort extra tags, bow license etc
1 day - trip to Yellowstone
1 day - trip to Cabelas (Billings)
Where we are staying, we are close to Murdochs, Sportsman’s and MAP Brewing (need to stay hydrated)

Cabelas is not worth a two hour drive unless there was something else you wanted to do around Billings.

Is this a trick question? There is nothing in Bozeman worth missing a day of hunting over.

Most definitely do not go to Billings to see their shitty little Cabelas. It’s not the Canelas you’ve seen on TV with all the cool stuff. It is a horrible store. If you do go to Billings, Scheels is kind of cool.

I’d just go hunting. If you’re adamant about doing town stuff Schnees and the Wild Sheep foundation are good places in Bozeman to visit.

I can’t reiterate enough, the Billings Cabelas is not worth visiting if you live in Billings. Definitely don’t go there from Australia.

This is easy.

Day 1. YNP to Wyoming
Day 2. YNP to Wyoming
Day 3 YNP to Wyoming

Bozeman is just a little version of FT Collins, nothing special, overpriced homes, hipsters, Californians, and congested roads for miles. Billings or Cabelas is not worth a 15 minute drive let alone 2 hours. Best bet is to drive South into YNP and then Wyoming if you have time to kill.

If you want to stay in town and not use an extra day hunting I like Museum of the Rockies, Schnees, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier and Dave's Sushi.

Thanks guys.
We’ve sorted it so we can have a few days to get human before our hunt starts. The 2 guys that will be with me have never been to one of those big outdoor stores, so sort of a novelty things I guess. We have NOTHING like that here.
I like the Museum of the Rockies idea. Also plan to fo to Kenetrek store for a look. There will be a trip to one of the indoor archery ranges for a bow sight check etc.

Coming from Australia- the last place you want to visit is Dave’s sushi.

No way drive to Cabela’s. Spend 5 minutes in schnees or sportsman’s warehouse in Bozeman.

Map is nice locale and good beer, but better to hit up Bozeman brewing and have BBQ there.

Downtown is nice.

YNP is killer - just park and find places to walk 1 mile. Amazing stuff.

I hope you’re hunting on the flying d or the CA, or something like that. The national forest hunting around here is piss poor.

If you wanted to go to Billings go to scheels, way more impressive than cabelas. Land of magic in Logan has the best steak around. Sir Scott’s in Manhattan, steak fingers. I wouldn’t screw with Yellowstone unless you want to spend 2 days or just drive to see old faithful and come back. That’s a long day of driving even at that. The new location of Bar 3 in Belgrade has awesome bbq and local brews. Bozeman hot springs if you are in to that. Depending on how old/young/single you guys are a Friday or sat night in downtown could be fun.

Dude is flying in to Bozeman from down under looking for the best things to do/see in 3 days and you send him to BBQ joint in Belgrade and Scheels in Billings instead of YNP???

WTF is wrong with you seriously, that's messed up advice right there.

Last edited:
Bag the trip to billings, not worth it.
If you only have one day for YNP, go down to Mammoth and watch the pet elk. Nice drive, too.
Museum of the Rockies is good.
Maybe catch a college american football game at Montana State if the schedule lines up with yours.
Good bars and restaurants downtown, enjoy all you can and then come on here and hate on it so you fit in..

I do a lot of miles behind the wheel for my job - so the driving won’t be a problem, just have to adapt to the other side of the road or it gets interesting real quick:)
I’m running off a bit of a cheat sheet my buddy did when he was there in September last year. The only thing he regretted was not going to YNP (look at me just like a local)
A cougar hunt at one of the local establishments could well be on the cards:cool: BUT I’m getting to that age where I realise how much I dislike doof doof music.

Back