Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bozeman & surrounds - Things to do

We are a pretty easy going bunch. It’s going to be one big adventure for sure.
Actually went to a Outback Steakhouse in Vegas - meals were good and the beer was iced cold - just how i like it.

If the urban American cougar is on your list game to harvest, you’ll have no trouble in downtown Bozeman.

Bozeman is just a little version of FT Collins, nothing special, overpriced homes, hipsters, Californians, and congested roads for miles. Billings or Cabelas is not worth a 15 minute drive let alone 2 hours.

Pretty much sums it up. Hopefully you have some good access lined up

Don’t overlook Grand Teton NP. I always enjoy the visit down there more than Yellowstone, and it’s easy to tie them together. Jackson is cool to see if your down in Teton.

One other thing I'd throw in to add to the suggestions above. Head over to Ennis and stop by Shedhorn sports. Nice, comfortable store with a very good selection of hunting/fishing "everything". For more fun, just head up the hill from Ennis to Virginia City. Hit the Straw Bale saloon and the homemade ice cream joint. Then, enjoy a walk through some of the history that made Montana. The wife and I usually hit Virginia City every other year ourselves and, we live here. There's the Gallatin History Museum next to the Court House on the edge of downtown too. If you're into the history aspect.

If you're looking for the best steak in the area, you can't go wrong with the Land of Magic restaurant in Logan. I would also point you to the Rib & Chop House in Livingston. Those two beat everything else in our area. Also, the BEST bbq in the area is found at the Willow Creek Cafe in Willow Creek. Kind of a biker-crowd sort of place and out of the way but, nobody makes better bbq ribs - except me, in my backyard.

Like was mentioned above, Mystery Ranch is here but, you can't really go there to see a showroom anymore. They've stopped doing most of that in their facility. Check out Schnee's downtown if you want to see their packs. Stone Glacier is here too and you can stop in there. You mentioned Kennetrek - good choice. The MeatEater offices are almost beside Stone Glacier. Not sure if there is anything to see there. Haven't been in myself. Simms Fishing is here too but, unsure if their offices offer anything to see/do. Mr. Newberg is around as well but, finding him in his office in September is no chance at all. There's always Dairy Queen, if you want your best shot at setting up a stand and hoping for an encounter with that wiley critter.

Archery shops and indoor range - I would point you to Big Sky Archery. Friendliest guys you'll ever want to meet and will talk your ear off about bows and/or hunting. I've had bad experiences at the other place in town but, you can check them out too, if you like.

We are a pretty easy going bunch. It’s going to be one big adventure for sure.
Actually went to a Outback Steakhouse in Vegas - meals were good and the beer was iced cold - just how i like it.
Their steaks are probably better than the last piece of gristle I had at Land of Magic.

I'd prioritize the "touristy" stuff in Yellowstone like the geyser basins, Mammoth Hot Springs and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone since they are unique. The elk rut in the town of Mammoth is entertaining and probably your only chance to see live elk on public land as Greenhorn noted ;). All that can be done in a very long day. For day two Beartooth pass is a scenic long way to get back if you are in the Lamar area watching bison and antelope eat grass, or the various Yellowstone back country offices could recommend a hike based on what you want to see, but not sure I'd give up a day of hunting just view the outdoors.

You can burn through the dinosaurs Museum of the Rockies in a couple hours unless you are a total dino geek. A handsome outgoing guy with an Ozzy accent would not drink alone in Bozeman. Your mileage may vary.

If you don't fly fish then learn, how can you not fish in Montana or YNP after travelling all that way from down under?
Museum of the Rockies, Sportsman Warehouse and Rib and Chop house in Livingston, I have always made it a tradition to eat there on my last night before flying home to the UK.
Check out the Western Cafe in Bozeman, a great breakfast to set you up for the day.
Forget Billings!
Cheers
Richard

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but stay a night at Chico if you get a chance. Awesome place for a soak plus it is just unique. Gardner/Mammoth in September are a good time for obvious reasons. Also stop in Livingston on your way back to Bozo. If the wind doesn't knock you over it can be a pretty cool little town. Otherwise, Potosi hot springs near Pony is worth the drive/hike, and you might as well go to Norris hot springs if you are in the area. Just hit that one in the morning or on a weekday unless you want to be surrounded by a drunk fest of Bozemans finest. Yes I love the hot springs around SW Montana and they are all worth the trip.

If you don't fly fish then learn, how can you not fish in Montana or YNP after travelling all that way from down under?
Love my fly fishing BUT smallest rod I own is a 10wt. I’ll be packing a travel spin outfit that packs easier in the bow case.
Some great suggestions folks - thanks for all the input. It will keep us on the go.

Rib and Chop house has great pork chops. Soak at Chico Hot Springs and Follow Yet Nose BBQ now has a shack open somewhere in Bozeman

Stop in and visit with Terry & Larry Shore at WesTrends, south of Bozeman in Norris. Great people. You can get a hand shaped, custom fit cowboy hat to wear home while you learn more about the area's history, the old West in general, horses and cowboys (and of course, their hats) than you can at any museum.
Tell em Brad from Virginia sent ya 🤠

If my plans work out I’ll also be in Bozeman, but in mid Oct. If I have time I am thinking of heading east via Yellowstone, if the roads are open, and end up at Cody WY. If anyone has any advice for this route for mid Oct I’d be grateful.

If my plans work out I’ll also be in Bozeman, but in mid Oct. If I have time I am thinking of heading east via Yellowstone, if the roads are open, and end up at Cody WY. If anyone has any advice for this route for mid Oct I’d be grateful.
Stop at the Yellowstone NP Visitors' Center in Mammoth for good information and interesting displays, then travel through the Lamar Valley viewing wildlife, stop at the Beartooth Cafe for a burger (and maybe one brewski), get the road report and if good, then continue on and take a right onto the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway over Dead Indian Pass and on to Cody. It's a great route and affords wonderful wildlife viewing and spectacular landscapes to enjoy.

To relax, take him to Norris and hit the Hot Springs, live band every Thursday-Saturday. Hit Old Faithful and skip the rest of the YNP crap. Museums and Micro Brews will fill up the rest of you off days.

I think we have it pretty much sorted. The exercise / training has started. Only 6 months to go now (y)
Cold beverages and steak are top of the list - a man has to eat right and no use risking getting dehydrated

I think we have it pretty much sorted. The exercise / training has started. Only 6 months to go now (y)
Cold beverages and steak are top of the list - a man has to eat right and no use risking getting dehydrated
Check out Stacey's in Gallating Gateway if your looking for a good steak and cold drink. It's and old place that was originally the main bar for the hired hands working on the Flying D. A lot of good times in that place.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back