Caribou Gear

CWD ---> Humans.

Sytes

Interesting read. I like the catchy label as the "Zombie Disease". Looks like we might have a wild game recall after all... (Cushman) :D
On a serious note: Looks like all game I kill, I'll have tested before processing. I've not done such in the past though considering CWD... Mainly freezer filled with deer and duck personal harvest since my injury and yep, a few friends with elk, moose, geese, shared, Info for those Buzz-feed types. ;)

Though there have been no confirmed animal-to-human transmissions, some health officials, pointing to laboratory tests, say it may be only a matter of time.

“It is probable that human cases of CWD associated with the consumption of contaminated meat will be documented in the years ahead,” Michael Osterholm, the director for the University of Minnesota’s Center for Infectious Disease and Research Prevention, told Minnesota lawmakers on Thursday, according to the Twin Cities Pioneer Press. “It is possible that (the) number of human cases will be substantial and will not be isolated events.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...-could-spread-to-humans/ar-BBTvtEq?ocid=ientp

That one statement is being made with the most incredibly thin, gossamer thread of scientific support (disputably transferred to meat-eating monkeys) that I would almost label that irresponsible.

Against that is simply 50+ yrs (at least) of no known transmissions to humans and humans are fairly closely watched and studied when they get sick and die (i.e., it is not likely to go unnoticed).

And the prions don't break down...we can't be killing these deer and letting the bones just lay around! Because, you know, in nature without humans, every dead deer gets disposed of properly in Walt Disney's sterile landfill. (Sarcasm intended)

So are they saying the virus as it sits now can be transferred to humans, or it's possible the virus can mutate to a form that can be transferred to humans?

My impression, there is a desperate need for funding and there is an uncertainty - seems a stretch though possible, that cwd may effect humans. With that uncertainty, they are making a push for better funding. I support the funding as it is spreading...

Near as I can tell, having read several articles and following for some time, they don't say it can't, they just still do not have any confirmed cases of that direct transference. Therefore, everyone's concern.

If you want a real rabbit hole, look into CJD, or Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. That does affect humans and is similar to mad cow and CWD in how the prions work. But, CWD is still a different disease. Like you say, viruses mutate and many viruses could mutate into something that humans could catch.

The prion thing really freaks people out when they learn how prions don't really break down, ever, with out some real work. I'm always quick to remind people that CWD affected animals in the wild will die, in the wild. Their bones will stay there, decompose, and the prions get into the watershed anyway. I'm no biologist, but I think these CWD prions have been tumbling around since well before anyone ever wrote an article.

So are they saying the virus as it sits now can be transferred to humans, or it's possible the virus can mutate to a form that can be transferred to humans?

I don't think they know what they are saying. That was just an unnecessarily alarmist statement in my opinion, and they don't have much to claim otherwise.

I'll start being concerned when there is some actual evidence of this occurring. It takes more than someone saying it may be possible when there is no evidence.
It may also be possible that bigfoot is real but up until now there is no actual scientific evidence.

I agree that more research is needed. I agree that CWD has a negative impact on our wildlife. I agree that the prions stay active for a long time.

I just cant believe, currently, that the prion can make a jump between cervids and humans, for a couple reasons, mainly that the research and science just doesn't support that it happens.

Secondly, for me, it seems that since CWD has been around for at least 50 years, and probably longer, I would think there would have been some confirmed cases of it transferring. The level of exposure to the prions has to be enormous, not only within the hunting community, but to anyone that eats meat. I know there are thousands of butcher shops that have likely processed untold thousands of CWD positive critters. The prions are not killed by bleach, and the butchering tables, grinders, etc. are not sterilized to the point of making the prions inactive. There is likely cross contamination to both non-cwd positive animals butchered on the same tables, etc. There is also likely transfer/cross contamination to beef, pork, etc. from the butchering equipment.

Point being that there has been a massive amount of cwd exposure to humans and there just isn't any science to support increased levels of CJD or cwd variant to the most exposed group (hunters).

Its not responsible to speak in absolutes, and scientists/researchers are very cautious to do so, but, IMO from what the research shows (or doesn't show), I think the probability of cwd jumping to humans through consumption of meat is currently very unlikely or very low. As others have mentioned a mutation could change all that in a heartbeat. I would also not like to be the first case, that it does, in fact, make the jump.

I found the podcast Randy did on CWD to be very informative...worth the listen.

Last edited:
I don’t plan on eating the raw brains of a deer or seasoning a steak with spinal fluid, but I’m not going to be overly concerned about getting it either.

I don’t plan on eating the raw brains of a deer or seasoning a steak with spinal fluid, but I’m not going to be overly concerned about getting it either.

You're point is noted but it appears that cooking the prion pathogens has no meaningful effect on their virulence. Not an expert but I've read that the prions may be concentrated in the central nervous system, but are not restricted to the spine or brain. They are found throughout the deer.

The risk is hard to quantify without any evidence of transmissibilty to humans. No doubt CWD deer are consumed every year. No one has gotten it yet...But you certainly wouldn't want to go out with CJD. I personally get nervous with bone in neck roasts nowadays. And I definitely have cut back on spinal fluid A1 sauce.

The one factual incident I can relate is an Army story. When I was at Ft Lewis we had a 1st SFG(A) soldier die of CJD. At first they simply thought that a once squared away soldier had become a dirt bag. His personality changed, he fundamentally became a different person before they got a diagnosis. The conclusion was that while on a trip to a "middle eastern" country his team had shared a meal at a cultural engagement and that he had ingested sheep brains getting the scrapie prion. While not able to obtain samples for absolute confirmation there was no other source that could be found. It was a horrible death. I have never been a guy to eat brains in any fashion and will be careful for ever of that and spinal material.

No evidence to support it yet but who really knows. My thought is wouldn't it spread to animals like coyote or wolves that eat lots of positive meat. possibly even antelope that are in close proximity to infected deer & elk, before it could make the jump to man?

There's some research going on regarding neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's indicating the presence of prions, though not necessarily the prions found in TSE (although that may be a possibility). Perhaps these things are related. Maybe prions are everywhere and it just takes a long time for enough prion accumulation to cause amyloidosis. There is research suggesting some cervid subtypes are less susceptible to CWD, perhaps similar to genetic risk for Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Who knows?

Our local BHA group just had a lecture from the Arkansas Game and Fish head research biologist on CWD in Arkansas. They have found 4 distinct genetic groups of deer in Arkansas that all have a different level of susceptibility to CWD. He pointed out that the strain that is least susceptible still gets the disease but it takes longer to kill it. Unfortunately that means that the deer is shedding and spreading infected bodily fluids longer. Arkansas has free testing and has changed regulations to try to slow down the spread but the biologist said it's here to stay and that they are just trying to manage it as best they can. Maybe more research will provide some solution. I will continue to test all my deer/elk and won't knowingly eat one that tests positive - mainly because my wife eats it too.

The more I hear and read about CWD the more I agree with this. There seems to be a lot more unknown about the disease than what is known. And a lot of things that are put out as fact are really just theory.

You mean hypotheses... Sorry, I am a nitpicker sometimes.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back