MT Elk Hunter Numbers Up

406LIFE

Was looking at the Elk Hunting Strategy from GoHunt that just came out today... and noticed this trend:

Elk Hunters in MT:

2010:
R: 87,866
NR: 15,524

R: 95,771
NR: 18,205.

Increase over seven years:
R: 7,905
NR: 2,681

That's a ~10% for Residents, ~15% for NonResidents.

With the 3R conversation, I felt those were decent numbers for an increase. I don't know how that compares historically, but the projection is good.

I see it as good and bad. The good is that hunter recruitment is up and we need that so that hunting continues to exist in some fashion. The bad is more people in the field competing for public land space. But, I'm willing to take a few more people in the field if it means hunting will continue in the future and we will have a voice to be heard on hunting, fishing, and public land issues. I would like to know how many women and youth are included in the increase. We need them to grow the sport for future generations.

This might be me reading something wrong but I thought they only issued 17000 NR elk tags in MT? How than can there be 18,205?

This might be me reading something wrong but I thought they only issued 17000 NR elk tags in MT? How than can there be 18,205?

B tags.

What's the 3R conversation?

These numbers make much more sense in Montana than the reports saying hunters are on a decline. Increased elk hunters and decreased accessible elk isn't a good combination.

3R is Recruit, Retain and Reactivate. Its a drive to increase hunting numbrts.

I think it is good to see numbers climb. Selfishly I am starting to worry about drawing a tag every year. I remember not drawing years ago. Will this be the year?

Back