PEAX Equipment

Reloading in garage?

Dieseldog

I currently have my reloading room in my basement. I am thinking of moving it to my garage. Anything to worry about having powder and primers in a garage environment.. It is a pole barn with spray foam insulation and is heated in winter. Usually kept about 45 degrees most of the time unless I'm working out there. 2 cars in and out daily melting off into a floor drain.. Thanks

I did a bunch of reloading in my garage when I lived in Ca. but much prefer my basement. The basement is temperature and humidity controlled so I have better storage/longevity of components.

I don't see any issues with it as long as temperature and humidity swings aren't too bad. If they are it'll ruin your powder and primers. But up in your part of the state it's much more dry than here, so it may not effect it that much.

You could create a moisture-regulated box of some sort with a dehumidifier. I'm not sure what sorts of products are available but I would assume you could find some sort of gun safe dehumidifier that would work if you did some research. I would think temperature swings wouldn't matter as much as long as the moisture levels stay down.

My concern would be humidity. I guess you could store your components in a sealed container with active desiccants.

I live in the desert. The humidity swings are worse in the house due to the swamp cooler (10% winter, 80% summer). I noticed some 777 black powder sh*t the bed on me in about a year. Haven't noticed accelerated aging from smokeless in the 2 years i've been reloading...but I am curious.

Been doing it that way for many years and never a problem. Store powders and primers in coolers and be sure to tighten all powder containers tightly. Detached garage is heated but heat if usually turned off unless working in the garage.

I reloaded in my garage in Az, CO, and NC. 3 pretty different climates, and never an issue except in NC, I had to keep my rams and other exposed metal parts oiled.

I have reloaded in my garage in AZ and South Texas, which is nice and humid. Never noticed a problem with my primers or powders acting up on me. Like Bigjay said, I do have to keep the exposed metal part coated in oil or rust will form on them down here in Texas.

My reloading bench is in my detached garage, but I store my powder and primers in the house. It's not that big of a deal to grab a can of powder and some primers when I go out to the garage to reload.

My reloading bench is in my detached garage, but I store my powder and primers in the house. It's not that big of a deal to grab a can of powder and some primers when I go out to the garage to reload.

This is what I did while living in Oregon (detatched garage) and then just stored my brass in ammo cans with desicant packs.

That’s where I’ve reloaded for the last 5 years. Haven’t had a problem yet

You can reload any place that you can keep your powder and primers dry.
I have a press mounted on a 2"x8" board that's 22" long. It can then be attached to any table with the use of a couple clamps. Shooting bench at the range, kitchen table, etc....
I have several presses in a small room I use just for reloading that I use most of the time. But the portable set up is handy.

The biggest problem I have encountered when reloading in my garage is when I leave the door open and the wind blows the scale

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back