Painted Rocks Sheep Capture and Collar

These are great projects. Sheep benefit and on some projects volunteers get to help out.

That was a tough one. The sheep werent cooperating and they had the keep rescheduling it.

A bit more about the original transplant.

• In March 1990, 38 sheep (28 ewes, 10 rams) were translocated from Sun River to Painted Rocks. By April, some sheep had moved up Little Boulder Creek and Rombo Creek. By late June, one sheep had moved to Fire Creek (near Warm Springs). By July, a sheep had moved to Piquett Mountain. A second collared sheep showed up at Piquett Mountain by summer 1991. Other sheep were regularly found in Blue Joint, Coal, and Mud Creeks.

• In February 1991, 28 sheep (22 ewes, 6 rams) were translocated from Anaconda to Painted Rocks. 1 of these rams, which was transplanted as a 1.5-year-old, was harvested in Sheep Creek in the Selway in 1997.

• In February 2004, 10 sheep (9 ewes, 1 ram lamb) were translocated from Sun River to Painted Rocks

I have some pics from the 1991 capture in Anaconda. It was great fun I will see if I can post a few.

Last edited:
Duncan Gilchrist wrote a lot about those Painted Rocks sheep transplants in one of his books. Land of Giant Rams 1 I believe. Very good tales of how it went down.

Follow up on study and additional trap and collar work. Winter range area does have some serious knapweed infestations. Good to hear that the Forest Service is planning on addressing the weeds there.

Last fall I was talking with Rebecca at the check station and she mentioned a potential lion kill to one of the collared sheep way up in Blue Joint. She was excited to go investigate. I was told the sheep didn't come down to their normal spots last year though haven't confirmed.

I hiked around that area a lot last year and the amount of knapweed in the entire West Fork is alarming. Not sure there is much they can do about it but glad to see they're trying something where they can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back