E-tip or ttsx

Factory Nosler 7mm08 140 E-tips chrono’d 2,780 out of my 22.5” barrel last fall.

With 47.0 Big Game I was at 2,890 with the 140 Accubond.

Gonna load some of the 140 E-tips over Big game this year to see what that will do.

Would love to see Nosler release a 7mm 120 grain E-tip!

Factory Nosler 7mm08 140 E-tips chrono’d 2,780 out of my 22.5” barrel last fall.

Gonna load some of the 140 E-tips over Big game this year to see what that will do.

I would love to see a 130. As far as I know, Hammer is the only manufacturer to make one. I've tried Big Game with the accubond and the e tip. Impressive velocity, but I was never able to combine that with accuracy. Sigh...

Don't wait for Barnes. Call Steve and order the Hammers. mtmuley

MTMuley,

Setting aside for the moment the 130 grain question, what is driving the love of Hammers? I looked at them basis HT comments and couldn’t figure out what I would get for twice the price over the TTSXs. A sincere question - if I am missing something I am happy to change horses.

MTMuley,

Setting aside for the moment the 130 grain question, what is driving the love of Hammers? I looked at them basis HT comments and couldn’t figure out what I would get for twice the price over the TTSXs. A sincere question - if I am missing something I am happy to change horses.

Hammers have shown to be fairly insensitive to seating depth and generally can be driven to higher velocities with less pressure than other monos. They are lathe turned copper and hold extremely tight tolerances. They have a forum you can check out. Last year they took 37 animals in Africa and the PH's wholeheartedly will reccomend Hammers. Not easy to impress those guys. I've never been one to look at bullet cost much. If that is a stumbling block, probly no reason to change. I can tell you a call to Hammer with any tech questions you have would be worthwhile. mtmuley

Hammers have shown to be fairly insensitive to seating depth and generally can be driven to higher velocities with less pressure than other monos. They are lathe turned copper and hold extremely tight tolerances. They have a forum you can check out. Last year they took 37 animals in Africa and the PH's wholeheartedly will reccomend Hammers. Not easy to impress those guys. I've never been one to look at bullet cost much. If that is a stumbling block, probly no reason to change. I can tell you a call to Hammer with any tech questions you have would be worthwhile. mtmuley

Thanks, I am not too worried about paying more for value, just slow to pay more for trends. I will look into it further. I am working up a 300wsm load for an Africa trip this summer, might be a good test case for me.

I would love to see a 130. As far as I know, Hammer is the only manufacturer to make one. I've tried Big Game with the accubond and the e tip. Impressive velocity, but I was never able to combine that with accuracy. Sigh...

I’m getting 3150 with a 136 grain Hammer out of my .280.

Is that with your new M700 Mountain Rifle? What's the twist rate on that barrel? I'm trying to talk my dad into that rifle.

Yes. Twist rate is 1:9.5”, 22” barrel.

I tried nine ways to Sunday to get E Tips to shoot. Groups were patterns. Not sure if the twist was a little slow or what. The Hammers are grouping at 0.9”, with a little more tweaking to do.

It’s a nice rifle. The stock isn’t as svelte as my Kimber. That is my only gripe thus far.

I was impressed with the 120 grain NBTs out of my 7-08 this year. That seems to be a tough little bullet.

Yes. Twist rate is 1:9.5”, 22” barrel.

I tried nine ways to Sunday to get E Tips to shoot. Groups were patterns. Not sure if the twist was a little slow or what. The Hammers are grouping at 0.9”, with a little more tweaking to do.

It’s a nice rifle. The stock isn’t as svelte as my Kimber. That is my only gripe thus far.

Thanks. My 7mm Rem Mag has the same twist rate, and I've been wondering which weight Hammers to order.

I almost bought one of those Mountain Rifles last year when I actually had the money. It's a regret I hope to overcome vicariously through my dad.

I called Hammer today and had a great chat with one of the guys. He was very nice and helpful. I'm curious about the velocity thing. He said that his daughter shoots that 131 grain bullet I was asking about. Apparently, she gets WELL over 3000fps (like 3100+ I believe), from her 7mm-08. That's awfully fast... Apparently, they can be pushed much faster than other all-coppers without higher pressures. Interesting stuff. Very nice guy!

They ran a 181 Hammer up to 3500 fps in a .300 RUM last summer. The powder used is no longer available. I think the Vihtavuori powders would maximize velocity if you could find them. I've been looking for some N570 unsuccessfully for awhile. mtmuley

I’m getting 3150 with a 136 grain Hammer out of my .280.

Is that your go to load for your 280 now? What powder and how much if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking about ordering some hammers to try in my 280.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back