E-tip or ttsx

Again... Never tried them, but Hammers do seem to have a variety of bullet weights not seen in other brands. One of them being 131grn 7mm. That's interesting to me. Most others seem to have a gap between 120grn and 140grn for some reason.

Is that your go to load for your 280 now? What powder and how much if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking about ordering some hammers to try in my 280.

I need to do a little fine tuning and confirm everything, but right now it's looking like it. This was with 53.5 grains of RL-16, CCI 250 primers.

The Barnes is 100% copper, the E-tip is 95% copper 5% zinc which makes it a slightly harder copper.

Typically, rifles either prefer the all copper or the alloy. If your rifle doesn't like the E-tip then I would try the Barnes. Ive shot animals with both and the performance is the same. Stay above 1900FPS at impact and you'll be fine on any animal.

Good hunting

I need to do a little fine tuning and confirm everything, but right now it's looking like it. This was with 53.5 grains of RL-16, CCI 250 primers.
Thanks for the info!!

for non lead options, one needs to know how they expand at various speeds in order to determine if that type of bullet is appropriate or not. For most hunters, the bullets should expand given most animals are shot less than 250 yards.

Hammer bullets seem to be a best of both worlds, and I would check them out as well.

for non lead options, one needs to know how they expand at various speeds in order to determine if that type of bullet is appropriate or not. For most hunters, the bullets should expand given most animals are shot less than 250 yards.

Hammer bullets seem to be a best of both worlds, and I would check them out as well.

At what speed do non-lead bullets quit expanding consistently??

Depends on the manufacturer and may vary by weight as well. Generally, 1800fps has very little expansion. I'd keep it above 2200 fps if you want moderate expansion. Most will be very deep penetration, with pass throughs common, with nearly 100% weight retention. Hammer bullets act more like traditional lead bullets, deep penetration but retain 60-80% depending on bullet type.

Depends on the manufacturer and may vary by weight as well. Generally, 1800fps has very little expansion. I'd keep it above 2200 fps if you want moderate expansion. Most will be very deep penetration, with pass throughs common, with nearly 100% weight retention. Hammer bullets act more like traditional lead bullets, deep penetration but retain 60-80% depending on bullet type.

Ok yeah I was thinking 2000 plus for sure.
So with a 270 just for example (a mid-speed caliber), with superformance gmx 130gr factory ammo. They claim 2202 fps at 500 yards.

I guess my point being I've heard other people say they are 2-300 yard max bullets. Yet they are well over recommended speeds (according to bullet manufacturers claims) out there at double or more yardages. I've never shot them, but thinking about trying them, just trying to figure out where the close range yardage comes from.....

My (limited) experience has been that the e tips are easier to get to shoot well. They also have higher BC's, in general. But, obviously, the Barnes work for a lot of people. I'm playing with them again in my son's .308 now. We'll see...

I had the opposite experience with my .270 and 130gr TTSX and 130gr E-tips shooting IMR4350...
the TTSX grouped significantly better for that one rifle and one powder/seating/brass combination.

In 30-06 I've used both the TTSX and E-tips. Both loads were in the 165-168 grain range. My rifle, although it does shoot the E-tips well, does shoot the TTSX better. I have zero complaints about the TTSX performing on game.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back