Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

First time Wyoming antelope advice

DownHill

So I am putting together my first Wyoming antelope hunt and I am looking for a little advice. I'm simply looking for recomendations on what units/areas I will have the best odds of drawing a tag. I'm not going for a record book buck or the most sought after unit, I just want an opportunity to get my boots on the ground with a tag in my pocket. I'd prefer to hunt an area where I can cover some ground put some distance between myself and anyone hunting off the roads. I have heard good things about units 75 and 63 but I would like a few more options to consider.

I'm still going to keep digging around through all previous posts here regarding antelope as I know the answers I am looking for are bound to be here somewhere.

I appreciate any info you fellas are wiling to share. Best of luck on your 2019 seasons fellas.

How many points do you have? Have you considered doing a doe only hunt?

Without points you will not draw either of those units even in the special draw. If you don't have any points and are determined to hunt this year you still have options. You could get a type 1 tag in a unit that takes 0 points to draw all of these units will have "difficult public access" at least according to the state of Wyoming. It's all relative most of those "difficult access" units can be hunted successfully with a little extra drive and research knowing how to use Onx or other GPS type system will also be necessary. Or you could find a unit with a ton of type 6(doe) tags and public land and get 2 doe tags. Twice the meat with none of the hassle of dealing with difficult access.

Good advice from Will, but doe tags are no gimmie either, except in units with difficult access. Odds in units with decent access can be pretty low. The Wyoming hunt planner will be your new best friend.

A Type 2 in your unit 63 is not impossible with zero points.. it was 100% in the special draw last year for 1st choice applicants. You'd be able to get a pronghorn on that tag easy enough. I've never been to 75, don't know anything about it.

I'll echo others on the doe tags. There's not a lot of meat on a pronghorn, so I try to make the most of it and bring 2-3 home.

To answer your questions, I've got 0 points and have been considering doe tags as well, which is looking like the way to go this season.

Thanks again for passing along all of the info guys, it'll be a great help. I'll keep y'all updated on how it goes.

Pick your doe tags in an area with good access and your buck tag will have to be probably a difficult access area.
Doe tags are random draw so odds are the same for all applying.

Well fellas, I drew both of my doe tags for 21 and my brother was able to draw the same!

Thanks again for the advice, I can't wait for October.

Thanks for the follow-up. Good luck out there - it’s a great time. Stop and tell us where the big bucks are at if you see the F-150 with the crane and the scooter in the bed. I’ll keep an eye out for the ladies
;)

Thanks for the follow-up. Good luck out there - it’s a great time. Stop and tell us where the big bucks are at if you see the F-150 with the crane and the scooter in the bed. I’ll keep an eye out for the ladies
;)

You've got a deal!

Well fellas, I drew both of my doe tags for 21 and my brother was able to draw the same!

Thanks again for the advice, I can't wait for October.

I’m hoping to get out there for my first western hunt in 2020. I think the approach of getting 3-4 tags between a couple guys is a good one!

Congrats!

I’m hoping to get out there for my first western hunt in 2020. I think the approach of getting 3-4 tags between a couple guys is a good one!

Congrats!

Thanks, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes and give you any insight I can!

Alright everyone, after 5 days and about 35 miles underfoot we were able to bring 2 home for the freezer. My first experience hunting public land was incredible, we couldn't be happier with the way things turned out. Wyoming is a gorgeous state with some wary antelope, we are already looking forward to planning the next one.

I'll add one piece of advice for hunting unit 21: We were in the south east portion of the unit and saw more mule deer than we could count, I will most definitely be applying for a mule deer tag along with next years antelope and I would highly advise that anyone heading to this unit next year to do the same....they were everywhere.

Thank you again to everyone for the advice you shared, it was put to good use. Best of luck this season!

Attachments

• IMG_4427.JPG
    IMG_4427.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4489.JPG
    IMG_4489.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4534.jpg
    IMG_4534.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 95

Forum statistics

Threads