SD SB 153 tag grab

warmer

Well it's our turn South Dakota guys and gals. SB 153 allows GFP to raffle tags with absolutely no over sight. They take public input, but can ignore it just as they have with our deer drawing proposals. Contact your senators and let them know how you feel. Tony Lief testified that the impact maybe minimal. But every tag raffled is one less tag you and I are eligible for.

What tags and what areas would this include? East River, west river, Black Hills? and what species - deer, elk antelope, sheep?

The bill doesn't specify types or amounts of tags. It is left to the discretion of the GFP Commission. That is very concerning considering they rejected an over whelming majority of hunters who wanted the deer tag drawing left alone.

Warmer,
What are basing your opinion that the over whelming majority of hunters wanted the deer drawing left alone? You and I are on opposite ends of the state, in my neck of the woods there were many that are in favor of some changes. Thanks

Thank you.
I think those numbers would correspond with the majority of hunters being East River? As I alluded to earlier in my corner of the state a great number of people would like to see some changes to making the draw system more equitable. Sorry if I hijacked your thread, my guess is after that ram was taken down in the badlands cash registers bells really started going off.

Thank you.
I think those numbers would correspond with the majority of hunters being East River? As I alluded to earlier in my corner of the state a great number of people would like to see some changes to making the draw system more equitable. Sorry if I hijacked your thread, my guess is after that ram was taken down in the badlands cash registers bells really started going off.

Probably pretty spot on with that statement

Come to SD and shoot a wily WR.:rolleyes:
38328168895_36f7dfec6f_h.jpg

Thank you.

By more equitable you mean screwing the younger generation, correct?

My guess is if they passed something as ridiculous as cubing bonus points, the raffle tags won't meet much resistance.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the ram statement.

No I meant the fact that the East River hunter faces little to no competition from West River hunters. Many WR hunter do not put in for ER tags because there is limited areas to hunt. Unless you own property or have family your options are extremely limited. When I apply for a tag in my area I am competing with the other folks in this area along with ER hunters looking for a mule deer. That person is not in competition with me for ER tags because the majority of us do not have any place to go. I would prefer the seasons for ER and WR at the same time and folks determine which area they really want to hunt. The person from ER that does not draw a WR tag can generally speaking still hunt ER for myself and many like me if I don't get a WR tag I have few other options.

No I meant the fact that the East River hunter faces little to no competition from West River hunters. Many WR hunter do not put in for ER tags because there is limited areas to hunt. Unless you own property or have family your options are extremely limited. When I apply for a tag in my area I am competing with the other folks in this area along with ER hunters looking for a mule deer. That person is not in competition with me for ER tags because the majority of us do not have any place to go. I would prefer the seasons for ER and WR at the same time and folks determine which area they really want to hunt. The person from ER that does not draw a WR tag can generally speaking still hunt ER for myself and many like me if I don't get a WR tag I have few other options.

Gotcha. That makes sense. I thought you meant that the cubing of bonus points made for the more equitable system but, rereading your post, that's not what you said. Thanks for the clarification.

This is getting way sidetracked from the OP intended topic of the GFP gabbing tags, and raffling them, which I strongly disagree with them doing. I guess it would be a way for a NR like me to get a tag on a lottery type odds in a raffle, but those tags should be available to the residents and nonresidents that have been buying points/applying for a lifetime already. As a NR I doubt any officials really cares what I think though.
On the side note, Some great points there Handlebar. There has to be WAY more ER folks going to WR for deer hunts than WR to ER.

Just to clarify I am not against the ER folks nor the NR hunter!
And I am sorry if I hijacked this thread

I want me a NR BH elk tag.:) Pulling one from the "pool" won't affect my current odds.

54-57% of hunters is not "overwhelming." That is being a little melodramatic. These are the numbers from responses with East river having larger population. Growing up east river and now living west river, the opinions on deer management are very different. Handlebar is right that most want a system that would be more equitable. The proposal that went through was a big compromise.

EXACTLY! Maybe it should just be a South Dakota tag and no ER/WR drawing.

Yes, thread was hijacked which I contributed to. Sorry.

I want me a NR BH elk tag.:) Pulling one from the "pool" won't affect my current odds.
Dude...I will fight you for the tag if that day ever comes. I'd pay a $1000 a year and give up every rifle deer tag for the rest of my like to hunt elk in the hills every year. Honestly I'd be more open to raffle tags over auction tags any day. Thats just my opinion though. For what its worth I grew up west river, moved to what I'm pretty sure is the east river of Colorado in August...you west river people know what I mean

smiley face is suppose to be at the end, I don't know wtf I'm doing

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back