SD SB 153 tag grab

This is scheduled for debate on the Senate floor today. It has pending amendments. Let your Senator know how you feel.

The pending amendment addresses the issue of how many tags they can raffle off. But 10! That's an entire pool of elk tags. not to mention bighorn sheep tags or Mt goat tags.

It would be nice if there were more clarity in this. Everything I can find on this is no more than a paragraph. From what I read, it has no specifics. It is not a raffle though. It is a draw. It doesn't clarify if these are 10 additional tags or taken from the pool. Is there something more I can find on this?

It would be nice if there were more clarity in this. Everything I can find on this is no more than a paragraph. From what I read, it has no specifics. It is not a raffle though. It is a draw. It doesn't clarify if these are 10 additional tags or taken from the pool. Is there something more I can find on this?

Nothing more to be found from my understanding. IMO, they are doing this on purpose. If they leave it very open ended, they can manipulate it however they see fit, without repercussions.

I understand it as a draw as well, but they may charge whatever they want for an entry into this draw. Can you have more than one entry for this draw if your pockets are deep enough?

Can you imagine being a guy who has say 20 PP for black hills elk. For the next 5 years they raffle off tags allotted for the PP bracket that you fall into making your changes of drawing even that much less? Not saying they would do this, but nothing saying that they couldn't either.

There are so many unanswered questions that go along with this....

Last edited:
It seems like the bill wording is very vague - this could really grow some legs and morph into what it's not intended... I'm all about raising some additional funds for wildlife/habitat - why not just do a $10 habitat stamp in order to hunt any public like many other states do...

Last edited:
Nothing more to be found from my understanding. IMO, they are doing this on purpose. If they leave it very open ended, they can manipulate it however they see fit, without repercussions.

I understand it as a draw as well, but they may charge whatever they want for an entry into this draw. Can you have more than one entry for this draw if your pockets are deep enough?

Can you imagine being a guy who has say 20 PP for black hills elk. For the next 5 years they raffle off tags allotted for the PP bracket that you fall into making your changes of drawing even that much less? Not saying they would do this, but nothing saying that they couldn't either.

There are so many unanswered questions that go along with this....

I'm one of those guys with 20+ years. This has bad news written all over it. The Governor wants more pheasants and I agree with her, but whoring out our big game to get more pheasant habitat is a bad move. Don't find to many elk, mountain goats or bighorn sheep in the CRP fields.

It seems like the bill wording is very vague - this could really grow some legs and morph into what it's not intended... I'm all about raising some additional funds for wildlife/habitat - why not just do a $10 habitat stamp in order to hunt any public like many other states do...

This is an excellent idea. Everyone pays. Although the Governor plans on help private landowners create more pheasant habitat, not create more public land.

So we still don't know if this is additional tags or comes out of the PP draw...

The only check is that they added a reporting step "report of the licenses issued, revenue generated, and expenditures of such revenue" so we should know a lot about it if this goes through (it will).

So we still don't know if this is additional tags or comes out of the PP draw...

The only check is that they added a reporting step "report of the licenses issued, revenue generated, and expenditures of such revenue" so we should know a lot about it if this goes through (it will).

Tag numbers are based on animal populations. Only way to "get 10 tags" is to take them from the predetermined total. That means 10 less for you and I. Unless mother nature shits out more critters after this passes.

Tag numbers are based on animal populations. Only way to "get 10 tags" is to take them from the predetermined total. That means 10 less for you and I. Unless mother nature shits out more critters after this passes.

Good grief. There have been special draws for organizations that did not take them out of the predetermined total. Granted that is always a single tag to my knowledge. I am not saying it is right and I am actually not for this proposal at all. So we are both against it. I just simply like to know facts devoid of emotion.

Last edited:
Good grief. There have been special draws for organizations that did not take them out of the predetermined total. Granted that is always a single tag to my knowledge. I am not saying it is right and I am actually not for this proposal at all. So we are both against it. I just simply like to know facts devoid of emotion.

Sorry for offending you. Carry on.

Exactly. Or just add a 2.00 "tax" to each license and tag sold. I'd have to imagine that would create a lot more revenue than some raffle tags, unless of course these raffle tags are going to be whore'd out at some ridiculous price.

I think in the future we will look back on our raffle tags as worm hole we wish never traveled down.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back