Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Southern Colorado OTC Information

ajfarmer54

Hey All,

Working on an over the counter Elk Archery hunt in Colorado (September 2019). I am an experienced whitetail and antelope hunter from Kansas. I have been doing the usual map research ARC GIS, OnX, and reading. I feel that I have narrowed my regions down, I thought, to southern CO (Weminuche Wilderness Units 75 751 77). At the same time I am wondering if I am wasting my time focusing on the wrong regions or things A couple people have mentioned better elk numbers in the north (flattops, mt zirkel regions) but there seems to be way more hunting pressure. I also get the response "Man that is tough country". Am I missing areas of Colorado that aren't tough hunting?

I just wanted to talk with some people on here about their knowledge or experience with these areas in southern Colorado. If they are able to help me narrow a few things down based on some conversation or steer me in a better direction. Not looking for specific spots just some general questions about herd populations, terrain, burn areas, and pressure from outfitters or people in specific regions. I know many of you do not want to share info on a public forum which I completely understand and agree with. If you would be interested in PM me that is completely OK.

I would be willing to trade Kansas Whitetail information as well as trail cam photos and specific spots for the right trade of info. I am located in one of the best regions in Kansas for public land whitetails with multiple 180" deer being taken on public land within 25 minutes of my house. If not I completely understand just putting out feelers for an honest gentlemens exchange of information. Thank you!

Anywhere elk exist in any OTC unit is going to be rough country, there is just no escaping that. Same with pressure in OTC areas. I used to think there was a ton of pressure in the Flat Tops, Gore Mountains, and Craig area until I moved to the Southwest. Then I realized there is just a lot of pressure in Colorado in general. Outfitters and people are everywhere and that's normal here. The larger numbers are in the NW corner, and apparently SW herds are declining, at least according to some recent articles in the Durango Herald and Denver Post. In either region the recipe is the same. Pick a unit and learn it well (unit hopping is a waste of time) step off the beaten path and have fun elk hunting.

I have hunted the Flat Tops area during the 2nd rifle season and during that time it can get crowded. However, there are elk there to be found. Archery season may be lighter pressure. I may hunt 24 in September.

I agree pick one unit and “learn” it. I guide in CO for all 5 seasons. It’s all about finding the right elevation. Weather and moisture will determine the elevation. For archery..... be in shape and have a good pair of boots. Good luck!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back