Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Oregon Blacktail Hunters

huntRme

At the recent Pacific NW Sportmen's Show I was able to a representative of ODFW about the closing date of the General Western Oregon Deer Season. I was encouraged by the conversation because I was told that there is discussion at ODFW about changing some outdated regulations, and the representative was very interested in what I had to say. Before going further I need to introduce myself so that you can see that my comments come with some merit. I began hunting blacktails in 1959 in the north Coast Range and have been at it ever since. In the beginning it was pretty easy hunting and I didn't have to know much to get a buck on opening day. Along the way I received a BS in Wildlife Mgt from Oregon State University. As hunting became more difficult I had to become a much better hunter and put in a lot of time trying to do that, and it resulted in some success. I acquired a reputation as a pretty good blacktail hunter. Surely there are some of this group that can relate to this There were some changes to the closing date of blacktail season, and one year I was able to hunt as late as November 9. Since then the closing date has gradually shifted earlier till in 2019 it is back to November 1 - the same as in 1959. Since 1959 there have been a lot of changes to the habitat, changes in forestry practices and an increased use by the general public. All of these have made it more difficult to fill a deer tag. The deer are still there, but it is so much harder to get one. Hence my frustration, especially when I am out there on the last day of the season and I know at the end of the day it is all over and hunting hasn't even become good yet. I'm sure there are at least some of you who share my frustration.

I know that I am only one person and one voice, so I want to encourage any of you to become involved in this cause. I'm looking especially for those with years of experience and knowledge, that can back up an argument with biological facts as you have observed them. Send an email to Kevin Blakely, Wildlife Division, Deputy Administrator at: [email protected].

I am not trying to initiate a discussion, but to recruit those that will take the time to become involved. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back