Yeti GOBOX Collection

Arizona point trick!

streamer

Did not know there was a trick to applying for Arizona. As long as my combo fish and small game license is still valid I can put in twice in one year without the added $160 every year that I thought was mandatory to apply. So if I apply on February 11 this year for a point and apply next year on or before the 10th it could save me $160 every other year. Would have been nice to know now that I am in 8 years in saving on 4 of them would have been $640 that is the price of the tag. How many others did not know this?? A little upsetting not knowing but never seen anyone talk about this or Arizona state that you could do this. Bummer!

It doesn’t work if you apply for the other draws. Also it has to be valid on the last day of the app period. It’s not like Utah.

As mentioned above, works for elk and antelope but then you can't apply for the other draws... DT has it right though - the license HAS to be 'good' on the last day of the application period ...

Last edited:
Yeah...not worth it to me to play that game w/ AZ....and I'm putting in the for the other draws later in the year. AZ is an expensive game to play. I hope to draw some day to make it worth while!

Put in for deer also so can't get away with it. Also every 3 or 4 years the calendar dates don't line up and you have to buy a new one. Expensive, but would hate to screw up after years of building points.

Did not know there was a trick to applying for Arizona. As long as my combo fish and small game license is still valid I can put in twice in one year without the added $160 every year that I thought was mandatory to apply. So if I apply on February 11 this year for a point and apply next year on or before the 10th it could save me $160 every other year. Would have been nice to know now that I am in 8 years in saving on 4 of them would have been $640 that is the price of the tag. How many others did not know this?? A little upsetting not knowing but never seen anyone talk about this or Arizona state that you could do this. Bummer!

You may want to research this trick a little more or you are going to be pretty disappointed. It does work, but you have to do it correctly.

It has been discussed on lots of forums previously and here included. But your right most it’s not a widely talked about conversation. It works. I do it every other yr. I just buy a deer and sheep point every other yr. but if u are wanting all species every year it won’t work

I was under the impression that you had to have a valid license the actual day the tags are drawn, not the deadline date ?

I was under the impression that you had to have a valid license the actual day the tags are drawn, not the deadline date ?

No, it has to be valid on the date of the deadline.

If you apply for all 4 species, you can get by with only having to buy a license 2 out of every 3 years. It's not really worth it to me though in my opinion. If you wait til the last day, you never know what might happen and Murphy might get you. The system might have a fluke that prevents you from applying, maybe your card is declined, you could forget, or maybe the world just hates you on that day and somehow screws you over. Would hate to miss an app...

You don’t have to wait till the last day to buy a license or apply for a tag in AZ whether you span years with a license or not.

Thanks, won't work for me though. I put in for most species

You could do it 2 out of every 3 years. If you got your license yesterday, that would cover all of this year's drawings and next year for the elk/antelope draw. Then next summer, you'd get a license on the last day of the deer/sheep draw. Then that license would cover you for all of the 2021 draw. That's assuming the draw date doesn't jump ahead a week though, which it will one of these years.

So what happens with the extended deadline? I got my applications in and my license expired on 2/12. Now they extended the deadline to 2/13, do I miss the drawing this year?

We don't cost any more than most western states. I payed for special hunt for deer in Wyoming this year with lotsa points, add it up it was like a $1200.00 deer tag. And I kiilled an average 4x4. In Az I killed toad on the Kaibab this year 4 weeks later. Don't worry about a few bucks more if it is . AZ. has Quality animals, it is worth it.I hunted Montana 3 times recently for deer ,it was better than Wyo. but not cheap either. Guys worry about $100 but your gonna have 2k into any out of state hunt by time you figure all the cost. GAS , LOST wages, possible lodging and the money you put into gear.You also may only hunt once a year if your drawn in some state.Hope this helps.........BOB!

Last edited:
So what happens with the extended deadline? I got my applications in and my license expired on 2/12. Now they extended the deadline to 2/13, do I miss the drawing this year?

Nothing happens, you’re fine.
And I mean, really, nothing happens.........

Not a bad question! Surely if they extended the deadline due they would be reasonable and not be concerned with the problems the day caused. Then again, perhaps they didn’t extend the deadline to be reasonable. They may simply have wanted to make sure they go the usually amount of applicants, and thus the usual amount of money.

We don't cost any more than most western states. I payed for special hunt for deer in Wyoming this year with lotsa points, add it up it was like a $1200.00 deer tag. And I kiilled an average 4x4. In Az I killed toad on the Kaibab this year 4 weeks later. Don't worry about a few bucks more if it is . AZ. has Quality animals, it is worth it.I hunted Montana 3 times recently for deer ,it was better than Wyo. but not cheap either. Guys worry about $100 but your gonna have 2k into any out of state hunt by time you figure all the cost. GAS , LOST wages, possible lodging and the money you put into gear.You also may only hunt once a year if your drawn in some state.Hope this helps.........BOB!

I don’t know. I use my gear quite a few days out of the year, so on a per hunt basis it’s pretty cheap. My tag and gas for NM elk last year was under $800. Tag and gas for NM mule deer was about $1000. The year before it was under $500, but I scored on opening day and was in a unit close to home.

Of course lost wages is what gets me. If the hunt isn’t late November through January, or completed before Monday morning, then lost wages can wind up being a pretty big deal. Sept elk is likely a post retirement thing for me...I’d want to spend too many days there.

Last edited:
Yep I use most vacation thru the year to go back east and see 98 year old DAD. Come hunting season I lose over $1000 a week take home. but the hunting is worth it at 62 and some health issues , how many more years do I have to hunt. No gaurentee I will live long and Healthy like DAD ,Ps sadly He is finally on is last leg of His long Journey. Went back to PA. and saw Him 3 weeks ago which most likely be the last time I see Him...........BOB!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back