Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Arizona deer hunt info

Hilljackoutlaw

Planning a January 2020 OTC archery deer hunt in Arizona. Looking at units 32 and 33. I have absolutely zero knowledge of the areas, the terrain, which spots hold more coues or more muleys. If it's better to truck camp and glass or pack your tent and camp wherever and glass? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. We're not looking to harvest trophy bucks. We just wanna get into deer and enjoy the late season hunt to break up the long Idaho winter with some deer hunting. Thanks in advance!

You'll want to truck camp, it allows you the flexibility to change locations easily if you end up in an area without any deer. Be sure to put in for Javelina tags as well in the fall draw.

Thanks for the info. I did some hard research last night and I agree I think truck camping is a definite.

Look low for mulies and higher for coues. 32 probably has more access issues than any other AZ unit but there is still lots of room to roam.

Run and gun/Truck camp.Friends down there now.One down three to go.
Be safe down there!:cool:

I just got back from doing an OTC hunt in 22 and 23, by far the best hunt I have ever done. I saw the biggest deer in my life and wasn't able to seal the deal. He was 80 yards when I was behind an agave bush and started moving towards me. Probably the most excited i've ever been in my life deer hunting. Got to about 67 yards and my brain was switching between give him 10 more yards and send it. I stayed patient and he ended up getting away from me. If you have any interest in hunting in those areas I wont be back for a couple of years and don't have any issues with passing on some good knowledge. Just my 2 cents, we rented an air bnb for 45 a night in Payson then branched out to a few different trail heads before we zeroed in on the Muleys. I've done back country hunts, truck hunts, and tent hunts. This was by far the best one yet. We were able to get warm, have a nice meal, and best of all get a good nights rest before heading out the next day. We were out in the field an hour before daylight and back at the truck an hour after.

Just remember to do your homework before you go with eScouting, I'm sure you already are, but be sure to have plan A - Z. We went and spent the first 3 days checking out different areas and we were able to see deer everyday, and finally found a drainage where the bucks would retreat to once they were pressured. We stalked this group for 3 days straight and they kept coming back there was a 4x4 in the group that all of us (3 in my group) stalked. I got close to this deer and another but no shot, but still had a blast!!

I just got back from doing an OTC hunt in 22 and 23, by far the best hunt I have ever done. I saw the biggest deer in my life and wasn't able to seal the deal. He was 80 yards when I was behind an agave bush and started moving towards me. Probably the most excited i've ever been in my life deer hunting. Got to about 67 yards and my brain was switching between give him 10 more yards and send it. I stayed patient and he ended up getting away from me. If you have any interest in hunting in those areas I wont be back for a couple of years and don't have any issues with passing on some good knowledge. Just my 2 cents, we rented an air bnb for 45 a night in Payson then branched out to a few different trail heads before we zeroed in on the Muleys. I've done back country hunts, truck hunts, and tent hunts. This was by far the best one yet. We were able to get warm, have a nice meal, and best of all get a good nights rest before heading out the next day. We were out in the field an hour before daylight and back at the truck an hour after.

Hi Jlrineer, do you mind if I send you a private message about unit 22 and 23? Thank you!

Definitely stay mobile with you truck to move and glass as many spots until you find a buck you want to go after, arizonas public lands typically have spiderwebs of roads so be sure to take advantage of that

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back