Stalking Footwear

TLowell02

While watching Randy's day by day Coues hunt, I am thoroughly impressed by Marcus and Randy's ability to stalk within bow range in that rocky terrain with boots on.

Starting this year on my southern NM archery I hunt I decided stalking in thick socks was the best (aka only) way to stalk within range. Surprisingly it wasn't as bad as I initially feared though the worst was trying to quickly cover ground back to my boots. Those rocks hurt!

While glancing through the photos of the Gordon buck hoopla I noticed the hunter had a pair of vibram toe shoes on his pack. Has anyone here tried these? Any other ideas?

I like the cheep ebay neopream aqua socks I got 4 pair for $20 and use them. Cheep,effective and weight very little.
I used to wear a heavy sock over my normal socks but my foot would slip and slide inside the outer sock.

I like the cheep ebay neopream aqua socks I got 4 pair for $20 and use them. Cheep,effective and weight very little.
I used to wear a heavy sock over my normal socks but my foot would slip and slide inside the outer sock.

That is a dang good idea. I tried the wool sock thing but the sandspurs where I hunt put a stop to that in about 2 steps. Neoprene would work a lot better!

I've worn Wayne Carlton's Cat Paws felt boot stalking feet (lace on over your hunting boots) for years on archery elk hunts. They also do the trick for stalking muley and Coues bucks here in the rocky and dry (read that noisy) Arizona desert. You don't have to wear them all day --- just the last 150 yards or so of your stalk.

The models that most are using now are made by SneekTec.

I'd be surprised if Randy and crew aren't wearing some next January on their Coues/javelina hunt ...

That dude that killed the Gordon buck has what looks like a pair of Five Fingers Men's KSO's toe shoes hanging off his pack in one of the picks in his write up.

Is it odd that the one piece of gear they don't seem to be marketing is the one that interests me? Low profile subliminal advertising........

That dude that killed the Gordon buck has what looks like a pair of Five Fingers Men's KSO's toe shoes hanging off his pack in one of the picks in his write up.

Is it odd that the one piece of gear they don't seem to be marketing is the one that interests me? Low profile subliminal advertising........

Ha! Right? I have already ordered a pair that should be arriving next week. I don't remember which pair I selected but Vibram had several on clearance. I am most interested in the sole's ability to absorb sharp rock edges otherwise I would, and still may, try the neoprene sock idea.

I always thought I'd be good with thick socks but I tried the rim rock stalkers this year and absolutely love them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back