Caribou Gear Tarp

Kimber compromise

shortbus

Today I finally sprung for a Kimber! I have shot quite a few Kimbers over the years but never personally owned one. My brother has a Montana chambered in .308. Originally I was going to buy his gun. After he thought long and hard about it, he decided he couldn't replace it for what he was going to sell it for. It's to bad too, because I had loaned it for a period of time and it is a flat out shooter! I really had my eye on a Mountain Ascent but had more of a Hunter budget. If I was to buy the hunter I wanted to do several modifications to it. After doing some research, I found the Kimber pro hunter that was a Cabela's exclusive. It already had a muzzle break and a dipped camo stock, as well as a coated barrel. Kinda a different looking gun. I wanted a smaller, light weight rifle with less recoil for mountain hunts. I also wanted something that my 10 year old daughter could be comfortable shooting. So after much debate I went with the 6.5 creedmoor. Can't argue with cheap readily available ammo. I say Kimber compromise because this rifle was priced between what I want and more of what my budget was. Anyway I am excited to get a scope mounted up and put in some bench time!
IMG_20190210_143614.jpg
IMG_20190210_143623.jpg
IMG_20190210_143641.jpg

It has the Kimpro finish on it. Which is Kimbers version of cerakote. We will see how it holds up. It is more brown than the bronze color like the Browning hell's canyon. It also has more of a matte finish as opposed to the glossy sheen of the Browning. I looked at both guns for a long time. That x-bolt sure is nice!

My boy has a mountain assent in 6.5.
Shoot perfect for the first 2 shots.
With the ultra thin barrel it get hot and is then more of a pattern then group.

I bought the exact same rifle from Cabelas last August. I had trouble with the extraction right out of the box, same problem described here;

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12798529/1

I had to send it back to Kimber. They fixed it, but this problem cost me time and ammo. Not happy with Kimber quality control, hope you don't have that problem.

Mine shoots OK but not lights-out, at least not yet. I did make a 300 yard shot on an antelope, so it did what I was asking, and is more pleasant to shoot than my 300 WSM.

Make sure that your daughter wears hearing protection if she shoots it. Muzzle brakes are LOUD, and noise/concussion/muzzle blast can do more harm to ears and psyche than recoil

Congrats. I picked up a Kimber Hunter in a 6.5 a couple of years ago and I love it. I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back