Hogs this summer

Mtwitch27

A group of friends and I, 6 in total, are wanting to go on a hog hunt somewhere in the south. We are all from Utah, and all of us are graduating this year so we thought this would be the best senior trip ever. I have called a lot of game wardens and wildlife divisions, and done online research, finding out quite a bit, but nothing beats a locals help. Some time in the summer is what we were hoping for. So could anyone help me out? Public would be preferred, but a cheap ranch wouldn't kill us

Last edited:
I'm only familiar with Georgia. Tons of opportunities but there has to be a season open to hunt public land so turkey season is the only time. One of the coastal WMAs would be fine. Also so military bases that work too. There are a ton of private land hunts. Some more affordable than others. Good luck

I've looked a lot into Oklahoma, and called county game wardens all over the southwest, I have a ton of info, but if any locals could help me out that be nice too

Last edited:
I've looked a lot into Oklahoma, and called county game wardens all over the southwest, I have a ton of info, but if any locals could help me out that be nice too

Can't help with SW Oklahoma but check into Eufalua wma, texoma lake wma & COE, Hugo wma, and Red slough wma. If you plan to hunt any of those during summer bring plenty of water and bug spray.

Can't help with SW Oklahoma but check into Eufalua wma, texoma lake wma & COE, Hugo wma, and Red slough wma. If you plan to hunt any of those during summer bring plenty of water and bug spray.

Isn't it true that u have to have a tag for something else to hunt on a wma

In many states on public land you can kill pigs incidentally to whatever season is in progress and you are properly licensed for that season.
Louisiana for example:
During days where you can rifle hunt for deer are the only days where you can kill pigs with a standard rifle.
If bow season is open and you're "bow hunting for deer" you can kill one with a bow.
During small game seasons you can hunt them as long as your are using ammunition that does not exceed the restrictions of small game season (shotgun no larger than BB or rimfire rifle no larger then .22 caliber)

Not all but some WMAs in the state have a spring squirrel season May 4-12. That would be your closest to summer option for Louisiana.

In Florida you can hunt hogs year around on private land, including at night. That’s what I would recommend. Look online and you can find a reasonably priced hunt on a plantation or ranch. Just watch where you step, hog habitat = moccasin habitat

Public land hogs are hunted hard but can be found . During summer make dang sure you get them gutted and cooled off asap.
Everyone wants a cheap hog hunt but realized on private land they do lots of damage and that is why landowners charge to hunt them. They gotta do something to help offset the cost of repairing their damage.
You can find a hunt on private for $150-200/day most spots with no limits and feeders and stands to hunt over. Most now have some kind of night hunting available.
Hogs are not a gimme unless you go the put and take hunts behind high fences, not what I would recommend for you.

pm sent

Public land hogs are hunted hard but can be found . During summer make dang sure you get them gutted and cooled off asap.
Everyone wants a cheap hog hunt but realized on private land they do lots of damage and that is why landowners charge to hunt them. They gotta do something to help offset the cost of repairing their damage.
You can find a hunt on private for $150-200/day most spots with no limits and feeders and stands to hunt over. Most now have some kind of night hunting available.
Hogs are not a gimme unless you go the put and take hunts behind high fences, not what I would recommend for you.

pm sent

Yah. I'm thinking either clay hill or independence ranch

Lots of good spots to hunt hogs. I would go as early in summer as possible, they may be mainly nocturnal in the extreme heat.
And yes snakes galore, big rattlesnakes and water moccasins to go with the copperheads.

This site comes up on The Texas Hunting Forum all the time for DIY and western hunting advise, I would go over to their forum- The Texas Hunting Forum and look in the outfitter section for a possible hog hunt.

Hogs are on public lands in Texas, you always have that option.

Lots of good spots to hunt hogs. I would go as early in summer as possible, they may be mainly nocturnal in the extreme heat.
And yes snakes galore, big rattlesnakes and water moccasins to go with the copperheads.

This site comes up on The Texas Hunting Forum all the time for DIY and western hunting advise, I would go over to their forum- The Texas Hunting Forum and look in the outfitter section for a possible hog hunt.

Hogs are on public lands in Texas, you always have that option.

Wheres this forum at

If you are planning to hunt public in Georgia it generally starts on Aug 15 when small game opens. It gets some pressure here but not to bad until it cools off.

If you decide to do the public land route in Texas, you have several options. Most of the National forests in east Texas have hogs and you can hunt them year around with just a hunting licence. There are a few areas that are considered wildlife management areas so you would need to buy the annual public hunting permit for $48 in addition to your licence. With that APH permit, you can also access several state lands that have hogs as well. Here's a link to a map booklet that shows where,what, and when you can hunt with the APH permit.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0112a.pdf

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back