Montana Bull Elk Point Burn

400orBust

Hi everyone. I've been a lurker on and off for awhile but I'm at the point that I need some advice so I've registered and hoping I can find that help here. I'm looking (like many are) for a big bull.

But...before I ask for help a little about me: I was born and raised in Montana and although I live in WA state now due to work I come back to elk hunt every year. Both my family and my wife's family are all still in Montana and I know a lot of the state. I feel I'm a very accomplished hunter...in 2018 I was 16 for 16 bull elk, DIY, public land. About 1/4 have been archery and the rest rifle. I'm in shape and all but 1 of those elk came out on my back. I work very hard and put in a lot of time but I also realize some of those elk have been dumb luck for me to get. I've hunted many places in western and several in central Montana and have many spots to go. However, despite the success I've had I still have not got an opportunity at a large bull. I'm really looking for opportunity at a 375+ bull.

So with that in mind...I have 10 points and am looking for recommendations on where to try to burn those points. I've never elk hunted with a guide or on private land but I'm willing to go that route and pay the price/trespass fee at this point considering the years I've now been waiting to draw a permit. I realize I may still not draw for 2019 but with my chances exponentially growing I need to stop just putting district 380 to build points 'cause one of these years I may just draw and 380 is not where I want to burn the points.

Posting in here or pm-ing me is great. I'll roll with the punches.

Welcome to the forum! Why wouldn’t you want to draw 380? I guess I would look towards the breaks if 380 wasn’t my first choice.

If you are willing to go with an outfitter there are places in 799-20 where your chances at a 375+ are good. They are spendy.

Last edited:
If your willing to spend a little, I wouldn't overlook 680/690. In Montana the more points you get, doesn't really mean you are going to have a better chance of drawing.

If your willing to spend a little, I wouldn't overlook 680/690. In Montana the more points you get, doesn't really mean you are going to have a better chance of drawing.

A rifle hunt for 375+ would be extremely difficult in 680/690. I’d look towards 799 or the buffer zone.

Thanks for the replies so far...in my researching 380 isn't what it maybe once was. I'd be interested in knowing otherwise. For me it has just been a points builder for the years I didn't want to draw due to work schedules etc.
Yes this is a good problem to have, I recognize that. With the deadline approaching my goal is to make an informed, logical choice. I realize I may still not draw but my chance is exponentially growing.
I will look into 799-20 and 680-690. 410 is another area I'm looking at but the info I can find is hit or miss (ie. I can't tell if there are opportunities for really large elk or if a 350 bull is a rarity).

... what do mean by the buffer zone? I haven't heard that before.
HD 310-46, the upper Gallatin just north of YNP is typically referred to as the buffer zone. It is known to produce trophy class bull elk (drainages there comprise migration corridors out of YNP), but only 5 permits are available each season.

If I understand correctly, there is not a tag available to NR in the buffer zone. Montana caps NR at 10%. The one thing I’m not sure of, is that a cap of 10% per unit or just a max of all collective tags in the state? If it’s by unit, giving one NR tag in 310 would be 20% of the tags.
Looking at draw statistics, it says the quota for NR in the unit is 0, so if I understand, there’s no NR chance.
The quota of tags per unit is not a guarantee either, just a max if I understand.
Please correct me if I’m wrong. This is the first year i’ve ever had to look into it care about it from a NR standpoint.

Big big bulls like 375+ are few and far between in the breaks.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, there is not a tag available to NR in the buffer zone. Montana caps NR at 10%. The one thing I’m not sure of, is that a cap of 10% per unit or just a max of all collective tags in the state? If it’s by unit, giving one NR tag in 310 would be 20% of the tags.
Looking at draw statistics, it says the quota for NR in the unit is 0, so if I understand, there’s no NR chance.

Big big bulls are few and far between in the breaks.

I didn’t even think about that. You could be correct for sure!

Thanks for buffer zone description.

The 10% non-resident cap is per unit and it actually says "up to 10%". In looking at draw statistics in many units the non-resident permits often are only 8-9%.

Also, I *think* a unit has to have at least 25 (maybe it was 35) permits in order for there to be any non-resident permit opportunities.

I disagree a little. Yes access has a lot to do with it but having a rifle tag in low draw permit area with proven large bulls is a significant difference over a general area.

Just a comment on 380, I hunted it in 2017, after 20yrs of applying and was disappointed with the hunting pressure in that unit. Archery was fun, lots of bulls but even more hunters, rifle was worse. Good luck with your research.

Talk2elk...thanks for the info on 380. That is inline with the perception I've found elsewhere.

SE and breaks may be where I focus. I have seen some bulls of the quality I'm looking for around Ft. Peck but that was deer hunting 8-10 years ago and haven't been back since. I do know there are some dandy elk N of Columbus/Laurel but pretty much zero public land and no landowner allowed access I've been able to find...yet.

I think you will find things are different in the Breaks than 10 years ago. I wonder how many 375 plus bulls are killed in Montana statewide each year? Lofty goal, pretty tough diy public. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back